What's Your Best Bet For The Market?

Even though John Brumby is encouraging people to relocate to the regionals?

Yeah I read that in today's Age newspaper:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/push-for-regional-growth-20100614-ya73.html

Don't hold your breath for what he or any other polititian says. :cool:

Remember 2030 strategy, where is that now? :confused:

Bracks also declared that Rockbank would be Green Wedge........backflip, now it will be wall to wall housing from Caroline Springs thru to Melton.

North of Craigieburn, Delfin own land the size of Shepparton near Kalkalo. They will take the train there from Craigieburn.....you reckon the govt won't re-zone :rolleyes:

I'm not intimating the regionals are bad, just beware of what you read and believe. Do your own DD and ensure what you purchase cannot be replaced, i.e: in-fill locations with sound amenity, infrastructure, schools, shops, medical and the usual necesseties. My gut feeling is that growth won't be splendid in regionals. :(

The caveat is that if one can buy well (first up) and have value add opportunity and in a decent rent demand and growth area, then go for it, being mindful of the DD issues raised above and then some.

Just my 0.02 :)

Good pint, my best bet is hmm... let's think... inner city! Think I might go punt a few mil this year. Still extremely affordable for the people who can afford it. In contrast, the outer is not that affordable even for the people who buy into it. And yes, flaming everyone is very fun.

Deltaberry in my experience those who are happy to flame others in order to compensate for their own insecurity are often prone to exadurating their own financial means for the same reasons. But thats not true of you is it?

No bets from me........I don't gamble, however my feelings right now is that we are entering a time (for those old enough to remember and who were investors or at least home owners at that time) reminiscent of the early 90's......most areas will just chug along with inflation. Things will ostensibly be flat for the next five or so years.

As interest rates rise (if they do) the outer suburbs and regionals will experience the flattest growth. I am speaking generally and of course there will be markets within markets.

Reasonably well located metro property will be affected to a lesser degree IMHO.

Thanks Player, no need to be humble though :)

or is he being honest? That is my honest appraisal of what it is in Melbourne right now and what I see unfoldingalways wondered about that

.toe, that is only my opinion. I do own property in Ballarat, but I would not be buying anything in regionals right now unless your name is Nathan. :D

Hoping for growth in (even decent) regionals now without an active strategy to manufacture growth (reno, subdiv, development) is wishfull thinking IMO.

Please do not believe a word I say, this is merely my opinion. You must do your own DD.

You asked for forum members opinions and I have given mine. :)

cheers Player - not sure if you realise that the reference is to the 'H' in:

"will be affected to a lesser degree IMHO"

Hahaha yeah, got it.

I use the "H" as "humble" or "honest", depending on my intent.

LOL, cheers, guys. I just re-read the post and got sucked in to that one. :p :)

Deltaberry in my experience those who are happy to flame others in order to compensate for their own insecurity are often prone to exadurating their own financial means for the same reasons. But thats not true of you is it?

Hmm... I've never heard of the word exadurating, even though I am quite well-read from my days at uni... couldn't find the word in a dictionary too. So not sure what you're trying to say. Use simple language please.

Oh ....hmm?? Maybe...

If it is I guess that's a classic case of what he's saying, ie use a big word you're not sure about to add credibility. Though I'm tempted to give him the benefit of doubt

<15 k will always be king as far as cap. growth goes. No state gov I can see would ever spend on any meaningful infrastructure like new train lines.
Take a walk round st kilda and see the $$$ rising from the pavement with the obvious diversity;). Suburbs like that for the forseeable future will have inflated demand. Thats why you can pay 1.2m for a top notch 2 bedder in St kilda and 800k for a 7 br 3 bathroom mc Mansion in the sticks. Out there you get whats called "sticks penalty" where it takes you on a friday night 1.5 hours to move along the SE carpark.
regards
pieman

Oh ....hmm?? Maybe...

If it is I guess that's a classic case of what he's saying, ie use a big word you're not sure about to add credibility. Though I'm tempted to give him the benefit of doubt

Daltaberry you are right, I did misspell a word. However it turned into a pretty good test of whether you would avoid the subject. I inferred that you're trying to bully me by lying about having massive financial wealth which you seem to think makes you a superior person. And you have sidestepped the issue by drawing attention to one misspelled word.

I'm not the only one who feels they've been bullied by you. Which is not surprising since you've said you think bullying and flaming are fun. My best guess is you are still a uni student who feels threatened by everything. Instead of flaming why not just be honest about what I've said that offends you?

Last edited:
People have asked that before here... I think it's pretty pointless talking about things like that. I don't know why you're so hung up on that. Are you going to get me to scan my tax returns or my bank statements? How about you scan your passport to prove you are over 10 years old?

But since you're so hung up, I'll clarify for you (instead of side-stepping the question). I am not rich at all. I have enough to get by, living in a mediocre suburb in a mediocre house with family that probably won't even sell for $4m in today's market, earn in the top tax bracket from a not too strenous job that I found myself through studying hard and have some investments here and there which are all cashflow positive, am under 25. Let me guess... don't believe me?

Maybe this is the version you want to hear. I'm a university kid who's just graduated high school. I feel very insecure that all these people are buying massive 400k houses that I won't be able to afford until 5 years later when I graduate and after having worked for 10 years to finally break into the market. Everything I said was a lie just to make myself feel better and add credibility to what I say. Should help you sleep well tonight.

But yea... nothing you said offended me. I don't even remember what the discussion was about.

Of course I believe you and thanks now for your honest discussion. Of course I dont have a problem with your position in life, or anybody elses for that matter. Unless I feel someone is trying to elevate themselves to put me or others down.

Perhaps you doubted my motives, which would be fine. But you didn't discuss that with me. Anyway hopefully we can move forward and if you disagree with me again feel free to discuss it. To me thats what SS should be all about.

Nah all is good. I love fiery talks over the internet so don't take it to heart if I deliberately mocked anyone/any occupation... the veil of internet is bliss.

Back