What's Your Day Job (if any)?

A million in net assets just doesn't go very far these days....sigh.........

What is it they say? If you can figure out your net worth easily, then you probably don't have a lot of assets. I find the bigger the portfolio, the more difficult it is to accruately value at any one time :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Steady on MickInvester. You only gave us 9 minutes from your question until you jumped in again with a disappointed reply. And then only 23 minutes before deciding we are avoiding your question.

Not everyone sits at their computer waiting to answer questions :rolleyes:

For me, I am a stay at home mum and I manage our IPs which takes about five minutes a week, unless we are looking for tenants or signing them up, and then it takes a half hour to do the leases and reports.

Hubby is the income earner in this household and he works for local council in an administrative position.

We are millionaires through property, not through work, but we also owe more than a million to the bank and could not hold what we have without hubby's salary. Just as well he likes his work, hey!

Wylie

What is interesting is that recently, I have come to the conclusion that my day time occupation is no longer a "job".

I now openly refer to it as my "hobby".

I wake up in the morning, I can't wait to get to the office (ok, that may have to do with the fact I don't seem to get there until 10am), drink lots of green tea, talk to the people about life, philosophy, money and anything else....

I treat my department as my little game, where I am given resources and the aim is to make money, while keeping my staff motivated and happy.

It's a lot of fun.... as well as a great learning environment. I learn a lot from them - their priorities, their perspectives - and I hope they learn a little bit about my view of the world.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I have been inspired by the stories but are you all millionaires by day or clerks? Im an inhouse counsel at an iconic Australian company

Better than even chance you are at Telstra! They have an enormous inhouse legal group - it is resource sapping to keep fighting with governments.

I'm an analyst - evaluate commercial opportunities and give recommendations on whether to invest or not - typically they are very large, long term opportunities so I can think about one opportunity for a long period of time.

The goal of investment analysis is very easy really - the goal is the highest possible return coupled with the lowest possible risk. Easy to say but hard to find - there are not many free lunches out there. Maybe that sheds some light why I find the whole property scene so fascinating. It is far from "normal" but seems to work for some.

Hi McInvestor
I was a public servant but I gave up my day job 18 months ago thanks to WA property boom.

I am still pretty busy, but now I have choices.

Hi McInvestor
I was a public servant but I gave up my day job 18 months ago thanks to WA property boom.

So how did that work;

1. does the rent from your boom properties more than cover the outgoings by enough to live off, or
2. did you sell the properties and are now living off the cap growth, or
3. are you living off the equity you achieved, and if so, how did you get around the servicability issues that would come with increasing the useable equity level in the profolio in order to get access to it,
4. other.

Last edited:
I'm currently a paralegal, about to become a trainee solicitor when I return from my holiday (i'm in italy right now).

The next year i'm ging to turn my property investing/developing into a second job (not that it hasn't bee this year) as i will have more time now that i'm not studying full time.

Im a qualitifed tradesman. Refrigeration and air con. Mainly commercial stuff now days. According to ACA we are the new white collar workers earning millions. Just wish someone would pass that info onto my boss :D

Its ok. Not a bad job and pays ok. Like they say its what you do with what you have that matters I guess.

My wife works a department team leader (i think is the tittle) for a section of a large accounting firm. Her department is salary packaging.

Jayro

Im guessing Mickinvestor works in a job that doesnt require alot of patience :D

Back