What's your "Jonesey"?

So you're that millionaire guy I see down at the Mall every so often wearin' the shearer's singlet, trakkies and mokkies - doin' the reverse-Jonesey!? :D

Correct. Underneath all that I'm really The Body ...:cool:
(Sometimes you just want to go shopping, you know.)

Never kept up with the Jones and never look to them what they have, but I do like nice things in life which I perceive are important or of use to me!
I suppose we did most of the things in opposite direction to most of our neighbours.
Bought fairly new property but did not build it, renovated the kitchen after 16 years, build the pool once the kids arrived, lived in first PPOR for 20 years, yet acquired quite few IPs, ate at mum's as she was close by, etc...
Basically, we lived the life as we could afford rather than the way others could afford, if that makes sense....:)

Do I keep up with the Joneses? No, because I am Mr. Jones! ;)

pinkboy

I think this is the critical difference. A weekend warrior who spends $10k on a bike over a competitive rider (and you can replace the word "rider" with "golfer" "sailor" "diver" etc).

I do a lot of free diving, and when your most limiting factor becomes your kit, you upgrade it. Until then there are other changes you can make before your gear is the thing holding your improvement back. For instance, your fitness.

Is saying that though there are some pieces of kit which are kind of 'flashy' but also make a big difference. For example bike shorts. I wore normal board shorts when I first started riding cos I didn't want to look like a guy with all the gear and no idea (I was the guy with no gear and no idea). It was a wet rainy day, and after an hour my butt hurt so bad, plus I had a big rash on my legs from the shorts rubbing, not to mention my cods which had changed colour too.
So $50 on a pair of riding shorts is a pretty worthy investment IMO.

As for the "reverse Jonesey" - yeah, I do it all the time when diving. When on holidays I enjoy joining scuba groups and Ill say Im just going "snorkelling". Then drop in to say high to the scuba divers at 30+m wearing nothing but mask and fins (and the board shorts I was wearing when riding).

Blacky

Is saying that though there are some pieces of kit which are kind of 'flashy' but also make a big difference. For example bike shorts. I wore normal board shorts when I first started riding cos I didn't want to look like a guy with all the gear and no idea (I was the guy with no gear and no idea). It was a wet rainy day, and after an hour my butt hurt so bad, plus I had a big rash on my legs from the shorts rubbing, not to mention my cods which had changed colour too.
So $50 on a pair of riding shorts is a pretty worthy investment IMO.

Too true... in winter I used to wear a tracksuit over the top of it, but in summer I spent the time feeling self-conscious of being all the gear and no idea. After a while I stopped caring though

I'm very unassuming, at first I didn't think I have any "Joneses". I couldn't care less about food. When I go out I use KFC coupons, buy-one-get-one-free burger deals etc. If I forget my lunch I buy ham and a loaf of bread. I shop at Aldi and pay for everything practical (Aldi grocerices, Opal card topups from Woolies, petrol etc) with 5% paywave. I buy petrol with my orange card and 5L of milk at the Woolies servo to get 8 cents off. I have been known to get off the train 1 stop earlier to save 70 cents...! I have a $269 kitchen whiz bang machine not the $2k Thermomix. My last holiday was a weekend in Canberra :p

But I'm pretty sure my "Joneses" is the PPOR. And I prefer it to be this way. I have friends who spend a lot of money on travel, eating out, and their car but still rent.

Theatre room...

130" (not those tiny 120") fixed screen
Benq 7500 projector
Speakers and AV Receiver / Bluray to follow. Its a new build... :)

Cheers,
Michael

I understand that the Backyard BBQ is also an item of Jonesesque Competition.

i.e. minimum requirement now for consideration
6 burner
Wok burner
Oven and smoke function

:D

The Y-man

Wow - so that is 40K for the bikes - with that kind of cash on bikes- wonder why you even bothered asking about buying cheaper windows.

Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else? I have never mentioned window pricing on here? In fact, I don't believe Ive ever concerned SS with any pricing of anything? :confused:

pinkboy

bikes.jpg

There are 5 bikes and this picture. 4 of them mine as mentioned.

Bit hard to see, but the black/purple Giant (has the blue water bottle in the cage) is the wife's. She can hardly be excused either, because I think that cost me $9,700 all up as well! :eek:

pinkboy

Hi

Once I sell this last car I have I will be de-jonesied 100% once and for all and will drive around something like the new Ford Falcon that gets released late this year. I now feel like the guy at the end of the movie "Goodfella's" and now are just an every day run of the mill smuck!

Regards,

alicudi

Hi all

I know it has been a few months since I put the above post in this thread but true to my long term wealth creation plans I finally sold my last "jonesy".

I am now looking for a normal every day type of car...something with 4 or 6 cylinders and under 500kw this time (how boring:mad:).

I will make sure to reply in this thread in 5 years time if the internet still exists and let you know if I did continue my life without any jonesy's and stayed focused on my wealth creation plan.

Regards,

alicudi

Back