What's your success rate with banks.....

and other institutions?

Some time back I read the plaintive cry from a member here commenting that every time they go to their bank it is as if it were the first time they (the bank) had drawn up a mortgage. :eek: It just gets worse. The simple process of getting a new deposit book caused me $140 in dishonour fees until I realised they had given me the wrong deposit book. Today they made a big deal about failure to pay Mrs Fish's CC. She had changed the "from" account, but that was beyond them. "Input error"! I just KNOW there will a blue about the dishonour fee already charged and the penalty interest which accrues if the payment isn't made on the due date.

Government departments just can't do the most basic daily tasks like issuing ABNs or registering business names either. My son could not open the required bank accounts for his new biz because he did not have his biz name registered. The day before the relevant department said they had not received the paperwork, they withdrew the app fee from his account. ???? It took over a month for such a simple thing to happen.

I won't even mention Telstra and their monumental indifference.

This sort of thing is what is holding back India. Are we degenerating to the least common denominator?

I don't find this surprising at all, you just have to factor it in.
These days most time I don't even ask, I tell them exactly what I want done, how I want it done. Then check up on it until it is done.
This year my only +ve dealing have been with Wespac, twice.
All others were nincompoops.

As for biz names, all I ever did is walk in the office fill in the forms, pay the fee and it was done.
Ad no, you can't open a bank account for a biz that does'nt yet exist.
You son obviously needs a little guidance there.
Not to say that I started any better either...

my success rates with banks was A1 until they decided to crack down on trusts and businesses. i was overdrawn over a weekend and they pulled ALL privileges.

now i don't give a rats. i operate out of one entity now as to file only one BAS and one bank account and one chequebook and one credit card and i'm spent.

Banks! Hate them but got to use them.

I have had alot of trouble lately with trusts also.

I need a private funder!

Banks - we expect a stuff up every now and then (getting access to our business accounts cut off as they wanted to re-id us?!? was the big one this year)

Govt Departments - the ATO and I are such great friends now :mad: took over three months to get a name change done on our account (and held up our BAS refunds for a long time as well). was only meant to take four weeks max. thing that was most annoying was being told repeatedly "oh I'll escalate that and someone from such and such department will call you in x number of days/hours" and it never happening.

great example - this f**king morning.

get home to change clothes only to find hgas been turned off for unpaid bills - WTF? no connection until at least Monday - 3 kids and a borderline hysteric wife....

so i check - last bill paid via BPAY.

so i call.

we're trying to sort out why i haven't received the last bill and 2 subsequent notices.

WP asks if we're still living there. "yes yes, still at 26 ****** etc".

WP - "sorry? 26?"
me - "yes...26"
WP - "we have your address as 27"

27 is a vacant block with no meter.

cleared it up, turn out when your gas is "turned off" there's no master main up the street like your phone or power, just turn the little lever in the meterbox.

handy to know...

d*ckheads.

I can understand that because government departments are very understaffed! Complain to your local member if it's such an issue (not sure if it will make a difference though, but you never know).

BC I did the 3 hour drive (pre forrest highway) to beach house once with new born and grandfolks in tow, to arrive amidst a humungous downpour at 5pm on cold friday night to find the power is off. some mix up that i cant recall but the upshot there was no way that power was going back on for days... so pack up the car and drive back 3 hours

i cant be bothered with banks... last deal i have just paid 17%pa interest rather than put up with bank morons. I cant wait for some foreign competition to get in and awaken the slumber party

I can understand that because government departments are very understaffed! Complain to your local member if it's such an issue (not sure if it will make a difference though, but you never know).
Understaffed ! These public servants they need to stare out the window from left to right very slowly or they'll run out of things to do well before morning tea, and long lunch, afternoon tea, fag breaks, toilet breaks etc etc ..........................

in our last dealings (last year) i found a lot depended on the local manager ... yes, wpc are bringing back local managers with actual power! we had a great girl who was on the ball, comfortable to bend the rules slightly to fit and always had a cheery wave an hello. the staff were also of the same vein - atitude comes down from the top.

that said - the phone and behind the scenes folk are very painful!

Last edited:

No way on earth are they understaffed. Lived in Canberra (until just recently). Majority of friends work for govt departments. On a very good wicket down there - good pay these days, lots of leave (ie ATO shut down for two weeks over Christmas in addition to normal 4weeks leave - standard for most departments), and peak hour in Canberra is 8:30-8:45 and 5:00 -5:30 (vast majority are not working long hours).

hey daz ... we've missed you. where were you when all the muck slinging was happening last week?

okay, i've changed my spelling - happy?

This morning my son received a letter from the bank re. an account he is opening and it was addressed to his Christian names. No surname. :eek:

Is it all just too hard?????

Back