When buying in NSW

Hi All
Just purchased in Syd, can anyone tell me what is compulsory in terms of what a vendor must legally have in place besides the all electrics to be in working order.

Fire detectors ?

What else, I just want to make sure I cover myself.

Thanks, MTR

Hi All
Just purchased in Syd, can anyone tell me what is compulsory in terms of what a vendor must legally have in place besides the all electrics to be in working order.
That is NOT a requirement.

Fire detectors ?
Nope, that is NOT a requirement either

What else, I just want to make sure I cover myself.

Sewered - no
Hot & cold running water - no
Roof - no
Walls - no

The one and only: a $10 battery operated smoke detector that works - that's it.

Maybe fire detectors aren't compulsory but I think he might mean smoke detectors (which are).

What is the new legislation and when does it commence?

The Building Legislation Amendment (Smoke Alarms) Act 2005 and the Environmental Planning and Assessment Amendment (Smoke Alarms) Regulation 2006 commence in NSW on 1 May 2006.
What does the legislation address?

The Legislation refers to residential accommodation across NSW and requires:

* the installation of one or more smoke alarms in buildings in which persons sleep,
* smoke alarms installed in such buildings must be operational, and
* persons do not remove or interfere with the operation of smoke alarms installed in such buildings.

What happens if I don't comply with the legislation?

A person who does not comply with the legislation is guilty of an offence (maximum penalty $550). A six month moratorium is in place that provides a window of time for owners to install smoke alarms without penalty. The NSWFB strongly recommends owners install smoke alarms as soon as possible.
Is my building affected?
Residential accommodation

* detached houses, terrace houses, town houses, villa units (Class 1a buildings)
* apartments, home units, flats (Class 2 buildings)
* caretakers flats, single residences above shops (Class 4 parts of buildings)
* relocatable homes, eg manufactured homes and moveable dwellings, but not tents, campervans, caravans or the like

Shared accommodation

* small boarding houses, guest houses, hostels; backpackers accommodation; bed and breakfast accommodation (Class 1b buildings)
* large boarding houses, guest houses, hostels, backpacker accommodation; residential parts of hotels, motels, schools, health care buildings, detention centres; certain residential accommodation for the aged, children and people with disabilities (Class 3 buildings)
* hospitals and nursing homes (Class 9a health care buildings)

If you answered yes to any of the above then the new laws apply to you and you must have a minimum of one working smoke alarm on each level of your home. More information on What type of smoke alarm you need and Where to install smoke alarms.
I already have working smoke alarms in my home. Do I need to install new ones?

Some owners of private dwellings may have already installed smoke alarms that are not AS 3786 compliant. These alarms are considered acceptable, but only if they were installed prior to 1 May 2006 and only until they cease to function or are removed. This acceptance is conditional upon those smoke alarms being installed in locations that comply with the new Regulation. If they are not installed in the right locations they may have to be moved or additional alarms may have to be installed as set out in the new Regulation.

Any alarms installed after 1 May 2006 must comply with AS3786.

Back