When do you start planning your next place to live?

Last year I mentioned about some 'wants' during spring, with one is getting a puppy http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91377
Well, I have one this year and he has kept me from too many visits to Somersoft :rolleyes:

That puppy come with another want this year... a house with garden!
It's not going to be affordable for me in coming years, at least not in Sydney, but I'm keen to have one within 5 years, probably more outer in woop woop and about the price of the current apartment. Otherwise, a house in 2 years that cost $400K close to train and about 40-50 mins to city :D?

When do you start planning the next place you're going to live in? Where do you start?

Both.

In my case, I look for a nice affordable area, with easy access to employment. Where I live, middle ring, there is easy access to the CBD, QUT and I work at the local school. Remember if you cant afford to buy, then you can rent until you can afford to buy or until the puppy doesn't want a garden any more. :)

(But then again Sydney is on a different planet from Brisbane)

The one who wants garden is me actually :eek: The puppy is happy with apartment as long as he got walks and play.

If I have garden and bigger home, he'll have more space to play :)... I might get another dog and foster a couple every now and then :D

There's another thread about someone moving back to Sydney, and her price range is about the same as mine right now - can only afford the North West area, which is about 1 hour away by train to my work, unless I drive of course (I can't drive yet!), but then parking is a pain in the city.

Probably should consider moving to Brisbane... or Melbourne :rolleyes:

There is a small house currently for sale in my street with a huge backyard, for $395K, 600m2 land size, 16 klms from CBD. I'd move away from Sydney.

HOw did you honestly go with toilet training, especially whilst at work

Not that quick honestly. During the day he sleeps in crate connected to a playpen with pee pad, so only taking him out in the morning and at night. So far no mistakes in the carpet, some on kitchen tiles as I took him out on the wrong time. Bit by bit... bit by bit :eek:

There is a small house currently for sale in my street with a huge backyard, for $395K, 600m2 land size, 16 klms from CBD. I'd move away from Sydney.

Ohh.. that sounds nice
Just got a new job, so not yet ... but I'll think about it :eek:

See you later, then:)

Hehe, quite likely in a couple of years. Talking to hubby and so far QLD - Brisbane/ Gold Coast area seem to be the most plausible place - warmer weather, can be near the beach, still reasonably priced (hopefully still do in several years) for a house with land (thinking of 1000sqm ish for $500-700K depends on the area).

I'd like to stay in Sydney, but the price for house are just ridiculous. Melbourne... like the city (less than Sydney) but weather is too up and down and so far I still prefer Sydney coffee :rolleyes:

When do I plan the next move?

Constantly. We've always got our eye out for potentials ... even tho we are more than happy where we are. Just means something spectacular (for a great bargain price) would have to come up to entice us to move.

Does mean we've done some pretty quick, and unexpected, moves in the past - always for the better.

:eek: just suddenly went and bought a house? How do you manage with work etc?

For us personally - we only keep the eye out within a certain travelling radius of work.

An example ... we owned a 10 acre block on which we were going to build. Bought a cottage in town to live in whilst building (cheaper than renting). Had plans drawn up.

Saw property come on the market for similar price of us building (and cost of block) but on 27 acres, better location, with vineyard and spectacular views. Yes it needed a minor reno and I had been looking forward to building ... but ... bought it, sold 10 acres to cover buy/sell/plans costs.

A couple of weeks back looked at 100acres - but it was to expensive considering the knockdown quality of the buildings.

Exchanged on 10acre, 6 cottage tourist accommodation property last week ... saw it in the agents flyer, did the due diligence ... we're not living there (around the corner but will be under management) ... will throw some cash of nicely into retirement ...

It's just a case of keeping the eye out and snaffling opportunities when they come along.

For us personally - we only keep the eye out within a certain travelling radius of work.

An example ... we owned a 10 acre block on which we were going to build. Bought a cottage in town to live in whilst building (cheaper than renting). Had plans drawn up.

Saw property come on the market for similar price of us building (and cost of block) but on 27 acres, better location, with vineyard and spectacular views. Yes it needed a minor reno and I had been looking forward to building ... but ... bought it, sold 10 acres to cover buy/sell/plans costs.

A couple of weeks back looked at 100acres - but it was to expensive considering the knockdown quality of the buildings.

Exchanged on 10acre, 6 cottage tourist accommodation property last week ... saw it in the agents flyer, did the due diligence ... we're not living there (around the corner but will be under management) ... will throw some cash of nicely into retirement ...

It's just a case of keeping the eye out and snaffling opportunities when they come along.

Wow...I can't even imaging buying an acre hahahaha
But eyeing deals around certain radius is a good tip,willdo thatonce we know exactly where to live next -might be flying to Gold Coast this Xmas to check whether we'd like the area :cool:.

Melbourne... like the city (less than Sydney) but weather is too up and down and so far I still prefer Sydney coffee :rolleyes:

29f2wjb.jpg

But eyeing deals around certain radius is a good tip,willdo thatonce we know exactly where to live next -might be flying to Gold Coast this Xmas to check whether we'd like the area :cool:.

Just a thought - if I was you guys, I'd look at the Sunshine Coast rather than Gold Coast. Sunshine Coast is so much better than the Gold Coast.

I really really really don't like Sydney. Just the place overall, I really can't stand it. I know plenty of Sydney peeps who are good folks, but I wouldn't be bummed if I never went to Sydney again. I love Melbourne because it has so many good places to eat, lots of options musically speaking and well... it's Melbourne! For me, it's hard to beat walking down the road on a summer day, sitting out the front of the Prince of Wales with a beer, a fag and a couple of mates and just watch the world go by. *Although* my all time favourite Aussie band - Radio Birdman - were from Sydney, so there's that.

Same with the Gold Coast, I just flat out don't like the place. Mecca of Consumerism. It's Australia's answer to Florida. Sunshine Coast is visually more beautiful, much more relaxed, just an all around wonderful place to spend time.

I dunno about the beaches. I live in St Kilda, but never go to the beach here. We always went to Bancoora, Torquay and Jan Juc when I was growing up, so I don't really consider the bay beaches as 'the beach'.

Back