When is enough?

It's what we ask of ourselves, which determines whether we have enough or not.
Nobody else can make this decision for you.
Everybody has different levels and they change throughout our lives.

Very slightly off tangent, I think one of the most important things to treasure and be mindful of is time. The last 10 years has ACCELERATED past for me - probably the same for everyone else, particularly those with young kids.

If you're not in a financial position yet to throw in the towel from the daily grind then you need to reward yourself constantly and enjoy the journey/moment prior to attaining the perceived holy grail. To slow time down if you will.

Personally I love travelling but having a 2 week holiday once/twice a year to doesn't completely fill the gap. The challenge is finding 'something' smallish, and different, every day/week that you really look forward to doing to break the routine. I've yet to find it, and time keeps passing (quickly).

Beats committing to a massive mortgage and delaying the "trip of a lifetime" until you're 50+ when the kids leave home and you finally make it overseas (going by the stats, you'll probably be divorced by then and have to go halves in your assets ;). Do it while you can!
But WTF would I know.

I think the stats are something like 50/60% divorce rate, that will also cause some financial headaches.

Very slightly off tangent, I think one of the most important things to treasure and be mindful of is time. The last 10 years has ACCELERATED past for me.

Very good post as are so many on this thread.
In fact, I'm finding it disturbing - challenging to my current status quo.
Thank goodness that I had no care for money in my youth and enjoyed travelling, fitness, a social life and frugality. I also got into meditation young enough to enjoy many of the benefits through the rest of my life. I'm missing it now, though.
I enjoy working and making money, of course. I love investing in property and did ok when I dabbled in shares. It's part of life.
Thing is I think it's time to bring health and well-being to the fore again. For someone who was so disappointed with other people's focus on money, I certainly spend a lot of time thinking about the future and how much this and that. I love the idea of working part-time and renovating, meditating, spending time with loved ones, etc. Takes guts to give up full-time+ employment, though.

I love the idea of working part-time and renovating, meditating, spending time with loved ones, etc. Takes guts to give up full-time+ employment, though.

Love these comments, tried to give you kudos but would not allow me to do this

It does take guts to step outside your comfort zone

Personally I love travelling but having a 2 week holiday once/twice a year to doesn't completely fill the gap.

After recently coming back from 3 months away, I don't think I can do many 2 week holidays anymore. I'd rather put it off for another year or two and go away for a lot longer IMO.

i think we're getting better in terms of financial education in this country but we have a looooong way to go.

trust me, if you knew the debaucherous **** i got up to you'd agree...

Sex, Drugs, Rock N Roll (maybe techno in your case)

Edit

That read wrong, I meant what is your definition of debauchery :D

excessive indulgence in sex, alcohol, or drugs.

synonyms: dissipation, dissoluteness, degeneracy, corruption, vice, turpitude, depravity, loucheness, rakishness, libertinism, immodesty, indecency, perversion, shamelessness, iniquity, wickedness, sinfulness, sinning, impropriety, lack of morals, lack of principles, immorality, impurity, unchastity, lasciviousness, salaciousness, lechery, lecherousness, lewdness, bawdiness, lust, lustfulness, libidinousness, licentiousness, promiscuity, wantonness, abandonment, abandon, profligacy, decadence, immoderateness, intemperance, lack of restraint, indulgence, self-indulgence, pleasure-seeking, hedonism, sybaritism; rarevoluptuousness, concupiscence, lubricity, salacity

"he was reviled for his playboy lifestyle and debauchery"

Last edited:
After recently coming back from 3 months away, I don't think I can do many 2 week holidays anymore. I'd rather put it off for another year or two and go away for a lot longer IMO.

Totally agree and would do it in a heartbeat if kids weren't at school. 3 weeks or so in and you're just starting to wind down.

My idea is to rent my house out once the loan's done which will be ~$500/week in my pocket and then get an additional $500ish from other investments and travel indefinitely. If I get sick of it, I'll give the tenants enough notice and move back home and do it again later. Seems like a win-win :)

Plus you get to reset your 6 year PPOR CGT exemption while you're at it :)

I'm out the door as soon as I can reliably generate $30K/yr after tax (non-resident tax rate is 32.5!!!) from renting out PPOR and other investments.

Plus you get to reset your 6 year PPOR CGT exemption while you're at it :)

I'm out the door as soon as I can reliably generate $30K/yr after tax (non-resident tax rate is 32.5!!!) from renting out PPOR and other investments.

If you are happy with this then that is great.

Last edited:
Interested to learn where you plan to live and how on $30k after tax

Currently on my list:

1) Taiwan - Kaohsiung. Can rent a modern 3 bedroom fully furnished apartment in the new downtown area for about $750 a month. Walking distance to malls, night markets, parks, etc.

In general cost of living is about 1/3 of Australia so even on 30K can afford small luxuries such as dining out for every meal, taking taxis, etc.

2) Malaysia - Penang. Cheaper still but haven't done much research on it.

Get happy first, so you are happy now? What makes you happy?

Exceptionally, consistently and unshakably :)

It's a long, long, long answer as to what makes me happy. The short answer is "existing".

The slightly longer answer:

I made it a mission to hack my happiness. The key, I realised, was to be able to be happy and content in the present moment because that is the only moment we ever experience in our lives. The past and future are just thoughts that arise in each moment. This is where lots of people fall over. They chase future happiness (if only I do this; experience that; achieve this; buy that; I will be happy) rather than aiming to make happiness a default, internal, state.

So, I undertook (and still am) a period of personal experimentation I call "tweaking the dials of happiness" in order to optimise my present moment wellbeing. Learning and trying new things: experimenting, changing habits and routines etc. Some I thought would help, some I didn't know, and some I doubted. I've worked my happiness and wellbeing like a piece of clay into the form I desire; to the point that, at any given moment, I waver between happy and utterly blissful. It's not a one shape fits all though, just what worked for me so this will be more an insight than a solution for others.

Some keys (not in order):

1. Studying many of the sciences to understand--at a very deep level-- the way things (including humans) are, and why they are so. In particular: physics, cosmology, neuroscience, evolution, biology.

I'm innately curious. Understanding the cosmos and neuroscience have been particularly powerful factors.

2. Significant reading and study to shape my mindset. It's invaluable learning from the experiences of others. Whether eastern philosophy, goal setting and time management, how to interpret events or reading directly on happiness and wellbeing. These things compound. Happiness is a learnable skill and mindset/your personal philosophy is a huge component.

3. Mindfulness/Vipassana Meditation. Possibly the single most powerful tool in my kit. I can drop in to a place of absolute bliss in an instant, anywhere, any time, thanks to daily practice and a couple of intensive 10 day retreats.

4. Striving constantly towards improving as a person and helping others

I realised I'll write Moby Dick if I keep going so that'll do for now.

If you are still curious, hit me up at a meet up sometime and take a comfortable seat ;)

[*]Mindfulness/Vipassana Meditation. Possibly the single most powerful tool in my kit. I can drop in to a place of absolute bliss in an instant, anywhere, any time, thanks to daily practice and a couple of intensive 10 day retreats.

Great that this has worked for you RF. Good on you for getting that daily meditation in. That's powerful. Very inspiring.

Important that Vipassana is taught by a Vipassana teacher and isn't confused with bliss and getting happy. These are side effects and not always there.
The focus is the wisdom obtained by observing and accepting the moment as it is. How a meditator feels changes. Everything changes.

Last edited:
I made it a mission to hack my happiness.

Now that I've solved the early retirement puzzle (delayed gratification; high savings rate; investing) I've found myself in a conundrum of deferring happiness and as such wound up pretty miserable.

Any tips on how to live life in the present?

Back