When is enough?

If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.
― Lao Tzu

That's a good simple quote,the worldwide pharmaceutical companies would not want many to read and understand that one,that quote is going up on the fibro office wall in the morning..thanks..

Lovely quote. Frame it up but don't mention Lao Tzu because I don't think he said it :). The Tao Teh Ching used to be my favourite study book when I was learning Chinese and I can't remember anything like it in there.

The words don't feel right anyway. "Peace" sounds very New Age, which Lao Tzu wasn't. He'd rather be still, plain and empty, which his New Age fans aren't :D.

Mind you, the idea behind the quote was excellent but Lao Tzu would have said it like this:

Terminate the known, no regrets
Let go the unknown, no worries
Still and empty, the sage stays centered.

My aim is around 200k - 100 k for each of us , with roughly 100 in super and 100 outside .

For me the enjoyment comes from a variety of sources . I'm happy to spend some time reading and watching TV , going to the movies but I also like activities such as chatting on the forum and my main hobby which is song writing .

I don't mind working hard , though I know I want to dial back my hours over the next years and I'm looking at doing that slightly in the near future to give me more time specifically for song writing .

I do TM , when I need to relax . It works well for me and I have toyed with doing their sidhi ( ? Spelling ) course , but have never had the, time . Maybe someday .

Cliff .

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

..Sir Winston Churchill..

Wouldn't that be more like determination/persistence?

What if you did this and continually failed your whole life and never achieved anything, that would come under the definition of:
"Insanity" - Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Everybody got a different opinion of what success is to them.

Wouldn't that be more like determination/persistence?

What if you did this and continually failed your whole life and never achieved anything, that would come under the definition of:
"Insanity" - Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Everybody got a different opinion of what success is to them.

Yes I think it was,one of Winstons quotes from ww2,but I have also read in one of my books that in the last few minutes of his great life he said,"All the things I ever worried about never happened"..

Thanks for the link it may not have been him but I did read it somewhere from all those famous and not so famous Men in that time in life,no one is innocent..

ok sorry about that but I think there are an awful lot of people out there that need to get a grip, you can't take it with you. I can't see the point in obsessing about how much money you have when you are 60 because frankly it's all over then anyway.
Wow. You must know different people to me. My parents are in their 70's and they are both active property investors. My dad has had three kinds of cancer in the last 2 years. That slowed him down a bit but he is back to good health and just travelled down to Melbourne to do some maintenance on their house there. They are not 'obsessing about how much money [they] have'. They probably don't even know. They invest because they enjoy it and find it interesting. Also, they use the rent to supplement their income as the properties are positively geared. It think it is attitude more than age. They don't see themselves as 'old', so they haven't given up on life yet. ;)

It's interesting to see some talk about meditation. Learning meditation has been on my to do list for ages, for no particular reason other than it is something I have been interested in for a long time. The thing for me is that my brain is very busy inside and works at hyper speeds a lot of the time. I see meditation as a way that I might learn to calm things down every now and then. This is why I got interested in the first place but is also what stopped from taking it up. I was worried that I would be 'bored'. I didn't realised that meditation was actually a process to follow with different stages. I am learning this through a meditation class being run through my workplace. The practice is only 1/2 hour, which feels very short. I am looking forward to some longer meditations now.

The meditation I am learning is: harmony with your body, harmony with your energy, harmony with emotions, harmony with thoughts, contemplation, knowledge. I think these are great things to aspire to.

I would be content with a 50k (adjusting for inflation) passive income. That's plenty of money when you own your own house and have a working class lifestyle. It wouldn't go very far with my misses though:p

It's interesting to see some talk about meditation. Learning meditation has been on my to do list for ages, for no particular reason other than it is something I have been interested in for a long time. The thing for me is that my brain is very busy inside and works at hyper speeds a lot of the time. I see meditation as a way that I might learn to calm things down every now and then. This is why I got interested in the first place but is also what stopped from taking it up. I was worried that I would be 'bored'. I didn't realised that meditation was actually a process to follow with different stages. I am learning this through a meditation class being run through my workplace. The practice is only 1/2 hour, which feels very short. I am looking forward to some longer meditations now.

The meditation I am learning is: harmony with your body, harmony with your energy, harmony with emotions, harmony with thoughts, contemplation, knowledge. I think these are great things to aspire to.

I highly recommend getting the series' from Jon Kabat-Zinn. Brilliant, structured and peerless.

You can engage in the practice at home too, then.

I've been using them for a couple of years.

30 mins is short but a good starting point.

If you're ever game, some places offer 3 and 10 day courses (and some, much longer). It's at those places you really refine and deepen your practice.

Back