When Live Imitates Art....

20 or so years ago Billy Birmingham (aka "The 12th Man") hammed up a scenario in which a failed "High Five" resulted in one Pakistan player poking another in the eye....

About which Richie Benaud (the character) had the following to say:

"Well Bill, I'd go one step further and say the 'High Five' should be outlawed from the game altogether. It's just a bit of seppo bulldust that the West Indies have introduced into the game, and I reckon when it comes to congratulating one of your teammates, there's simply no better way of doing it than with the traditional Australian hug or a kiss or a lick, a grope on the bum or a bit of a dry root. It's still the most appropriate way, I think, of showing one's exuberance and excitement, and its certainly the most masculine and manly way of going about it..."

Hear the audio from 2:00 here (you tube)
(And a warning, for those unfamiliar with The 12th Man. If you don't have a sense of humour that allows for a liberal dose of 4 letter words - best you don't listen...)

Fast forward to today and we have this....

Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin has to leave field after misdirected high-five from teammate James Faulkner catches him in eye

Haddin caught Dhawan off Faulkner's bowling in the sixth over for seven, but when the Australian players ran in to celebrate with Haddin, a mistimed high-five effort from Faulkner caught the wicketkeeper flush in the right eye

Back