When to make the decision to say goodbye to a family pet?

I need some clarity that I'm doing the right thing.

We have a 16 year old toy poodle. He has been blind and deaf for a few years but still enjoys his food.

He got heatstroke a few months ago when he found his way to our front gate and couldn't find his way back. He couldn't stand up, but with a cool bath and careful watching, he was fine. I wasn't game to take him to the centre because I do believe we may have not brought him home, due to his frailness and age.

He has been weeing and pooing where he stands for probably a year, and I use a belly band nappy for night time, but through the day I follow him around and clean up as quickly as I see a mess. I've used more paper towels, Urine Off and disinfectant than I care to think about.

Though blind, he has always found his way around the house until the past six months (maybe 12 months). He is completely "lost", bumping into walls, doors, coffee tables, has trouble even finding his food bowl or his bed. He mostly sleeps all day, but when not sleeping he just wanders around bumping into furniture and walls.

He hates haircuts, so I've left his wool long and he is very matted, but I don't even want to give him the stress of a haircut or a wash. He shakes uncontrollably through the whole haircut and as soon as we put him in the car, he knows he is off to the vet, and shakes uncontrollably. Under his very matted fur he is boney and his legs often slip from beneath him when he is eating, or just walking on our timber floor.

The vet told me last visit (before Christmas - due to terrible rash from wearing a night nappy) that I would have to make a hard decision sooner or later, and to prepare myself for that.

With him deteriorating more each month, I emailed the vet a few weeks ago and she offered to come when we are ready. I've just made that decision and the vet is coming here tomorrow morning to put him to sleep. I cannot stop crying. It will cost us to have two vets come here but I couldn't stomach taking him to the vet due to the stress it puts him under.

If he was in pain right now it would be an easy decision, but he is not in pain... just wanders around completely lost. I believe he has doggy dementia and though he was once a very friendly lap dog, he won't allow me to cuddle him or pat him on my lap. He just wants to be on the floor wandering endlessly and bumping into things... or sleeping.

I've put this off for months. We really didn't think he would make it through Christmas, but here we are in May, but I really feel like I'm killing my dog.

If I cancel tomorrow and he hurts himself or ends up in pain, I'll regret not making the decision sooner, but by making this decision when he is NOT actually in pain seems so wrong. But our grown sons do think it is time, though the middle boy (22 years old) doesn't really think it is necessary. But we need to put the dog first, and to put this off due to it being a hard decision is probably not the right thing to do for the dog.

Has anybody else had to make this decision, and am I doing the right thing in trying to avoid him deteriorating further and then having his last few hours being stressful and painful?

I'm really, really struggling with this.

Thank you Rixter. I believe so too but it is a crappy decision to make. I've been putting it off for a while now but that is for my benefit. I just wish I could stop crying. I'll have to get hubby to hold him tomorrow and I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

It would be so much easier if they just passed away.

I have had to take 2 much loved dogs to the vets to be put down.

The first time we left it too long, until we realised we were keeping him alive for ourselves not for him.

The second time we probably got it right.

Both times we were all upset at the time but glad we made the decision afterwards.

We've had to do this twice recently... for an 18 year old cat and for a 16 year old dog so i know exactly what you mean.

It comes down to quality of life. If its declining, there comes a time when its crueler to keep them alive :(

So sad :(

I have a beautiful border collie that I am very attached too, if the day ever came ( which inevitably will unfortunately ) that she had to be put down, I would need to have someone else make the drive for me as I wouldn't be able to do it.

Not much I could add to this but when I have thought about it I guess that some one told me once that having a pet is a partnership and with that relationship comes the responsibility of making decisions for our much loved companions that they Cannot make for themselves, I would be maybe putting myself in his place and asking if I would be happy living this way and then proceed from there , I'm sorry for this tough time , it's very difficult

There is a poem called "The Last Battle" that is about this decision.

It really helped a friend of ours in a similar position.

Best wines at a difficult time.

In my opinion a pets desire to live could be gauged by how keen he is to down his food? If he really has to be coaxed to eat then I think it is time.. Also if his quality of life is reduced to sleeping most of the day and bumping into things when he is up. It really sucks the decision comes down to you, but I think you'd be doing the right thing.

You can be very thankful he has lived to such a good age - 16 is awesome! many good memories I'm sure :)

My neighbour went through the same process couple of years ago. They had the dog for 12 years or so. It was a tough decision but ended the dog's suffering.

Sorry to say it but you have left it far too long already.

It's the same ole story, people get too emotional about keeping the dog when it's patently obvious that it's time is up. Let things linger on and on, bumping into walls, urinating and pooing where it stands etc etc.

God help the poor dog.:(

So my answer to your question is now, not a moment more.

Wylie, it is very difficult to know exactly when is the best time, but I am certain your timing is correct.

Like you, we chose to have the vet come to the house when it was time to have our old cat euthanized. It is far less stressful for the animal than the panic of a vet visit. And far better for you to be in the security of your home when the tears flow.

I hope you have chosen a nice spot in the garden for your little fellow.
Marg

You are absolutely doing the right thing. Hang in there. I can tell you it's so much better to be able to make the choice, rather than have them in horrible pain and/or dying and have to see that.

He will be at home in his own surroundings with the people he loves, and it will be merciful and quick. I think we all wish we could die like that.

Wylie. My pain is still fresh 6 months on. My old girl of 15 simply had a stroke one night and her back legs stopped working. Prior to this she was having difficulty walking with artritis and because it happened so slowly we just couldnt see it like fresh eyes did.

My best friend, gone. As sad as it was, a 'miracle' also happened that would help me cope with her passing, and since then I received another gift which really has helped me cope alot better but thats my personal. Ive stopped crying on the way to work now. That first day I'll never forget but I got to give her a great funeral and thank God for an amazing long life. Im humbled to have been gifted to have her from a fee weeks old and se her back home again. Alot of people dont get to have that

Everything must pass and threres a reason for this. The special bonds we create here on earth are the greatest things we can do. I wish you strength in this hard time. Just know that your friend will still be looking out for you and the love you have never dies

You're welcome to chat anytime. I've some things that might help

Wow what a strange coincidence. I just got back from having our much loved dog of 13 years put down.
Almost blind and it was time. Completely heart wrenching but it for the best.

Thank you everyone. I don't think we've left it too long, as he is still enjoying his food, but that is all he seems to have left. My concern is more that because he is not (seemingly) in any pain, I'm pulling the pin too early.

The weeing has been happening for a while (thank goodness for belly bands and incontinence pads - though my chemist thinks I have a major problem with my own bladder I'm sure) and in a younger dog would be treatable. The pooing has gotten much worse gradually over the past couple of months, but much worse the past few weeks. He just seems to have lost the idea of going outside. The vet told me if he started peeing in his bed, or didn't want to eat, it was time. Neither of those has happened, hence my concern I'm too early, and I've put it off as long as I can, but I do think it is time. It is just hard to be the one calling "time".

I guess I watched my late father do the same things, wander aimlessly, sleep all day (and that lasted for years) so I really don't think I've left it too late (I hope not anyway). When I saw him a bit weak in the legs yesterday on a really cold morning, I emailed the vet again, and she said it sounded like he had deteriorated since she saw him last and offered some times. I chose tomorrow morning because I don't think I can go through this too much longer myself. It's going to be terrible whenever it happens.

He's had some nice treats today (though he often gets some treats - chicken being his favourite). I know he has had a great life, and we've loved him. He's been an amazing companion for 16 years.

Tomorrow is going to be tough, and I really do thank you all for helping me see I'm not doing the wrong thing. My oldest son tonight told me that he's probably pretty lonely when he is not sleeping and that he and his partner have talked about not allowing each other to live in such circumstances.

We discussed this before Easter as a family and I believe we all agree that it is the right thing to do.

I really do appreciate your thoughtful comments.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said by other posters, Wylie, but just want to add that you are doing the right thing. Letting the little guy pass gently and peacefully in his own home with his loving humans with him is a beautiful way to for him to leave this life. It sounds like he has been a very lucky little bloke for finding such a lovely family to be his 'human' family. It's such a tough time and my thoughts and best wishes are with you and yours.

:)

There's not much I can add to this terrible decision that has to be made., but I believe its the right decision. I've got three cats that are 16 & I know that they can't last forever. It's a decision I will find very hard to make when the time comes.

Back