Where can I buy in Sydney with 950k max?

hi,

We would really appreciate some suggestions/ advice on where in Sydney to buy our home. Our budget is around 900 - 950k and we would love a three bedroom house. Ideally it should be less than 1 hour by public transport to Randwick, where my wife works and our son is currently attending school.

We have been looking around Kingsgrove but it seems the areas are now out of our reach.

Would you consider a 3 bedroom townhouse or even apartment.
Can get in Randwick itself for your upper limit.
Randwick has no train as far as I know, so bussing it from 1 hour away for your wife and son would be a major inconvenience.
The lifestyle in Randwick and its surrounding areas is so much better than somewhere like Kingsgrove, there is no comparison.
So to sacrifice your location and inconvenience, just to live in a freestanding house does not make sense in my opinion.

Would you consider a 3 bedroom townhouse or even apartment.
Can get in Randwick itself for your upper limit.
Randwick has no train as far as I know, so bussing it from 1 hour away for your wife and son would be a major inconvenience.
The lifestyle in Randwick and its surrounding areas is so much better than somewhere like Kingsgrove, there is no comparison.
So to sacrifice your location and inconvenience, just to live in a freestanding house does not make sense in my opinion.

Thanks Ace for the reply. We have been living in an apartment and decided apartment living is not for us. Too much daily stress dealing with the neighbors. Bussing would not be nice but hopefully the light rail project will make rail travel possible (and quicker) to randwick.

If it is not possible with our budget to get a free standing house, we would be OK to look at townhouses.

One hour public transport from Randwick...it can sometimes take 40mins from the city to Randwick in peak hour so doesn't leave many options.

Maybe take a look at the 400 bus route to see if there are any cheaper pockets between Randwick and Burwood or has a connecting bus train service to this route?

I would look at inner west, you can still get a terrace that needs a bit of work or a townhouse, Earlwood/Dulwich hill has a few, Earlwood has less airport noise in my opinion... Canterbury-Bankstown is still cheap but going up too... Just make sure you look at the area first as it really varies, there are some really pretty pockets in Canterbury and really shocking too esp near the Canterbury rd but again it's being redeveloped. Canterbury to Central is 20min, then a bus to Randwick, all in all would take 1hr max...

If having a house is a priority, can your wife change jobs and your son move schools?
Moving schools should be no problem. And unless your wife has a really, really good job in Randwick, changing jobs should not be a problem as well.
Can your wife stretch her travel time or drive to work then? I have done 4-hour round trips for work on public transport. A colleague did somewhat of the same, leaving her with 1.5-2 hours on weekdays with her kids. She did however get weekends with them.
It may be possible to get a house in Eastlakes or Eastgardens for that price. Do check out the area though to see if it suits you.

If having a house is a priority, can your wife change jobs and your son move schools?
Moving schools should be no problem. And unless your wife has a really, really good job in Randwick, changing jobs should not be a problem as well.
Can your wife stretch her travel time or drive to work then? I have done 4-hour round trips for work on public transport. A colleague did somewhat of the same, leaving her with 1.5-2 hours on weekdays with her kids. She did however get weekends with them.
It may be possible to get a house in Eastlakes or Eastgardens for that price. Do check out the area though to see if it suits you.

Hoe do you have a 4 hours round commute and still have 1.5/2 hours with your children on a weekday?

Croydon Park in the Canterbury area has seen gains consistent with greater Sydney in the last 12 months, but is still comparatively affordable considering its position. Commuting to Randwick within an hour could be possible (though a bus change would be required I believe).

Kenny, what about your situation, do you have to travel to work?
Travel time is such a waste.
What happens if your wife is sick and your son has to get to school.
What happens if your son is sick at school and your wife has to take him home?

2 hours travel time from these outer suburbs, providing all goes to plan and nothing goes wrong, good weather, etc, that's 10 hours per week.
at a minimum wage of $25/hr, you could service another 200k loan by utilising the dead travel time productively.

My opinion only.
I chose to work close to where I live, and live close to where I work.
Time is extremely valuable commuting time is such a waste.

Couple of 450sqm blocks in arncliffe going for auction. They need a reno, close to the transport and one is a dual street access block which would suit a GF.

I think there is good value there.

Hoe do you have a 4 hours round commute and still have 1.5/2 hours with your children on a weekday?

Hmm I think she got home by 6.30-7pm at the latest daily. Kids had a full-time babysitter so were already bathed and fed. My colleague played with them etc for 1.5-2 hours, then they went to bed.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I work in Neutral Bay and i drive to work. Normally the wife drops the kid off at school then goes to work. She doesnt drive so public transport is the only means of getting around for her. I pick both of them up after work.

We are currently live near Pagewood and a 3 bedder free standing house around here is definitely out of our budget. We have also looked at Ancliffe, Bexley, Bradwell valley, Kingsgrove and again these areas are out of our reach. Most 3 bedroom houses in these suburbs are being sold for 1 mil and above.

The more we look around, the more discouraging we feel. It has really amazed us at what 950k can only get you these days.

We had a look at Beverley Hills last night and it seems we may be able to squeeze in (if we are lucky enough). Anyone has experience with the area can provide some comments?

We havent looked much at Bankstown and its surroundings. Will have a look tonight.

Would it be possible for both of you to get jobs in the CBD/Parramatta/Olympic Park/North Sydney etc etc and move your kid to a school that is conveniently located?
Unless your wife will be working in Randwick forever and ever, why bother buying a home around where you work. Most people buy where they like to live and find jobs to suit or just suffer the commute.

Back