Where can I buy in Sydney with 950k max?

We have always been in the eastern suburbs. Most of our friends/relatives also live in the eastern suburbs so we know the eastern suburbs well.

We have really enjoyed living in this part of Sydney (in fact we are really comfortable with the areas) and would not want to move if we could afford to upgrade here. It just doesnt seem to be the case at the moment.

Sure we know other parts of Sydney but we dont know what it is like to live in other suburbs. On top of that, the wife doesnt drive (she has a fear of driving) so that also limits her (and us to certain extents) only to areas with good public transport coverage.

Yeah Nem,
Your article said this about the southerners but didn't mention the Eastern suburbs type who never go outside the east and the north shore wannabes who never go over the bridge.
Hey, Kenny - check out the Hornsby/Asquith area. It's got the best schools and child-care. The upper reaches of the North Shore.
Good on you for biting the bullet and doing the walk of shame out of the Eastern suburbs. It's cool there but you'll feel better for it in the long run.
I just had a quick look on-line at Marrickville/Dulwich Hill/ Hurlstone Park which would be another of my picks for Sydney but there's not much there now and everything going for auction.
I really don't think now is the best time to be buying in Sydney. You may be able to afford it but there's just not enough choice.

Last edited:
Here is my opinion for what it's worth.

If all you know is Eastern Sydney then I doubt very much that moving from there would result in you being happy anywhere else.

If you have $950K to spend you should be looking for a good 3 bedroom townhouse with a grass area(for your kids to play). I would have thought you could find something like that which was quite nice somewhere in the Eastern suburbs for $950K. But be very choosy in the area and the type of townhouse. If you choose right you shouldn't go wrong. That is what I would do If I where in your shoes.

3br townhouses are going for 1mln plus even in outer eastern suburbs like mascot, rosebery or pagewood...

After a few further discussions, we decided to hold off getting a place now as WattleIdo has pointed out that there is just not enough choice with our budget. We are not in a hurry so a bit longer would not be so critical to us. We will use this wait to do a proper research in areas that we would like to live in and hope things will work out.

We will definitely be looking further into Beverly Hill/Narwee and Hornby areas as suggested in the replies.

3br townhouses are going for 1mln plus even in outer eastern suburbs like mascot, rosebery or pagewood...

There's a mega townhouse complex at the back of Pagewood. Think it's Begonia st. Near the golf course and you'd get a 3 bedder in there for under 950k. Might be pushing for a 4 bed tho. No back yards but lots of available open space.

Back