Where can I buy in Sydney with 950k max?

Best to live and work in locations quickly easily and accessible by transport. So find someplace to buy with transport options to locations of employment, and find jobs that suit from there! Other than that, any work from home option?

wouldn't Hornsby/Asquith present a better option since you work in Neutral Bay?

~30min commute by train.
arguably better schools in the north
900k-$1m can get you a free standing house on a reasonable size block.

wouldn't Hornsby/Asquith present a better option since you work in Neutral Bay?

~30min commute by train.
arguably better schools in the north
900k-$1m can get you a free standing house on a reasonable size block.

Neutral Bay is not accessible by train which would be an issue though. But yes (not sure why) it seems that Northern (and NW) Sydney have better schools than south.

Kenny_l, how old are your kids? Quality of schools in Sydney varies greatly and you may want to consider getting your kid into good schools by living in catchment area (unless you decide to spend on private education).

Youc can still find 3 bedders for 950k in the broader inner west, they might need some work but you have to compromise somewhere.
I agree that changing jobs and schools seems like the best option.

Revesby/Panania/Beverly Hills etc

Hi there,

You can definitely get something for $950K in this area Padstow/Panania/Revesby/Revesby Heights. Close to public transport.

Brand new duplexes are all the rage around here - you can get 3-4 bedroom duplex for under that price. Or you could get a house, but you are competing against builders.

Great public transport - Revesby to city is only 20 mins - 4 stops in the morning. Revesby - the south side of the station is nicer heading towards Picnic Point and the national park. Panania is nice too. Little village shops.

Picnic Point is lovely - may still get something for 950K.

There are lots of great primary schools in the area - at least 5 good ones to choose from.

I used to live in Mortdale which is also lovely. Nice main street with a few shops and cafes. Train to city is also good. Beverly Hills is nice too - closer to Forest Rd in my opinion. A lovely park called Old's Park there. Mortdale is nicer though. Also try Penshurst. Lovely part of the world.

Anything else you want to know about this area, let me know.

Randwick

They have express buses that go to Coogee and Maroubra during peak hours. Liverpool St Sydney next stop Randwick Junction. I get the X73 from Circular Quay every day - 17 mins.
Light rail is being built and will go along George St, Surry Hills, Cricket Ground, Racecourse and then terminates near Prince of Wales Hospital,

Randwick has a large hospital, racecourse, close to Centennial Park, Coogee Beach, university, Sydney Cricket Ground and soon light rail.

hi,

Again many thanks to all the replies. It looks like for our budget we may be able to get a 3 bed free standing house in

- Beverly Hills (or Revesby/Padstow for slightly lower)
- Campsie

From the NSW transport website, travelling from both the above suburbs to Randwick should be about 1.0 hour by trains and buses.

Another option would be Hornsby or North West suburbs - This would mean the wife would need to change jobs (long term). In return, there seems a lot of really good schools in the areas.

We are not really familiar with all these suburbs, being in the eastern suburbs most of our lives so far. Could someone please provide some feedback/comments on the suburbs? Is there a website where we can have a look at the demography of those suburbs?

Our criteria would be (in order of importance to us)
- Good schools and childcare (our first is at kindergarten and we are planning for a second one)
- Safe to live in
- Easy access to train and public transport
- Conveniences i.e shops

Many thanks

Maybe i'm a bit of a snob but i would not choose Campsie. Unless it's closer to Earlwood or Canterbury/Cooks river side, there are some nice places near the river but not the main Campsie. Most inner west schools are really good and in top 100 (ie Marrickville, Earlwood, Dulwich hill, Summer hill even Canterbury). Don't know much about Beverly hills but i think it's a nice area, i've passed it a few times and had a friend living there. I'd still choose Canterbury over Campsie as there is an urban development plan for the area, but if you choose river side of Campsie as i said - that's nice, not sure about the school... We moved to inner west from randwick cos we didn't want to live in 2br unit with 2 kids

We are not really familiar with all these suburbs, being in the eastern suburbs most of our lives so far. Could someone please provide some feedback/comments on the suburbs? Is there a website where we can have a look at the demography of those suburbs?

I grew up in Narwee and still go there regularly to visit my parents - I also travelled to Kensington for study for many years.

My view is that Narwee / Beverly Hills is a nice, well positioned area with good facilities.

The best resource for picking an area based on schools is :

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Most parent spend a lot of time doing research on this site.

My perception would be that Beverly Hills is a much nicer area than Campsie.

We have an IP at Padstow and know it very well due to family living there. It also has a lot going for it - but it is a different proposition again and is quite a bit further out (the bridge over the creek is the cut off point).

Thanks again for all the replies. We will be spending this weekend to have a look around Beverly Hills and Narwee to have a feel of the areas.

We discussed our next move last night and one question popped up. Is this the right time to buy now or is the prices are too high that we should wait a bit longer?

Can anyone share their thoughts?

thanks,

Thanks again for all the replies. We will be spending this weekend to have a look around Beverly Hills and Narwee to have a feel of the areas.

We discussed our next move last night and one question popped up. Is this the right time to buy now or is the prices are too high that we should wait a bit longer?

Can anyone share their thoughts?

thanks,

What are your main reasons for wanting to buy a PPOR?
If its a struggle to buy where you want to live, Can you rent where you want to live and buy IP elsewhere?

What are your main reasons for wanting to buy a PPOR?
If its a struggle to buy where you want to live, Can you rent where you want to live and buy IP elsewhere?

The main reason is we are planning to have another kid. Also with our first boy growing up, we are finding our 2 bedroom apartment a bit too small for us now. Another reason is we have almost paid off the mortgage on the apartment so we are financially ready at this point.

Yes. We feel we are being pushed further and further out from where we would like to live with our budget at the moment. We did talk about what you have brought up - rent in the eastern suburbs and buy an IP elsewhere.

If we go in the IP direction, we would like not to push our budget and only to stay around 750k.The question is still is this now a right time to buy (to live or for an IP) or we should wait a bit longer.

I'm a little confused. You have a job in Sydney, your wife has a job in Sydney, your son goes to school in Sydney, yet you don't seem to know Sydney at all.
What am I missing?

I'm a little confused. You have a job in Sydney, your wife has a job in Sydney, your son goes to school in Sydney, yet you don't seem to know Sydney at all.
What am I missing?

We have always been in the eastern suburbs. Most of our friends/relatives also live in the eastern suburbs so we know the eastern suburbs well.

We have really enjoyed living in this part of Sydney (in fact we are really comfortable with the areas) and would not want to move if we could afford to upgrade here. It just doesnt seem to be the case at the moment.

Sure we know other parts of Sydney but we dont know what it is like to live in other suburbs. On top of that, the wife doesnt drive (she has a fear of driving) so that also limits her (and us to certain extents) only to areas with good public transport coverage.

Why don't you pick an area that looks ok that you can afford to buy and rent there for 6-12 months. You may hate the area, the commute for your wife may be too much. There's no commitment to the area and if it doesn't work out you haven't spent a lot of money.

We moved from the eastern suburbs a few years back and didn't know where we wanted to live. Chose a suburb in the western suburbs, rented the biggest, nicest house on the market at the time and decided if the suburban dream was for us. It was tough enough learning about this area, finding good childcare and settling in without the fear of whether we'd made a mistake. Sure, I'd move back to the east in a heartbeat but we are settled out here now and live comfortably in comparison to what life in a freestanding home in the east would be like.

Here is my opinion for what it's worth.

If all you know is Eastern Sydney then I doubt very much that moving from there would result in you being happy anywhere else.

If you have $950K to spend you should be looking for a good 3 bedroom townhouse with a grass area(for your kids to play). I would have thought you could find something like that which was quite nice somewhere in the Eastern suburbs for $950K. But be very choosy in the area and the type of townhouse. If you choose right you shouldn't go wrong. That is what I would do If I where in your shoes.

Back