Where in Northwest Sydney?

Hi all,

New to the forums, hope this question is okay :) My husband and I currently live on 5 acres in Scarsdale, VIC (near Ballarat) and are relocating to Sydney in a couple of months -we're considering either renting, or buying in Sydney depending on what we can find. At the moment we're having a lot of trouble finding a property for either, that has a decent shed (at least a 2 car garage) with side access to a decent sized, secure yard (we have additional vehicles and 2 dogs). My husband will be working in Bella Vista, so we are looking at the northwestern fringe suburbs, ideally within an hour of the airport and less to Bella Vista - just wondering if anyone has any advice on where best to look?

We quite like the Richmond / Windsor / Kurrajong area, would love more rural outlooks but understand that real estate is a fair bit more expensive than where we're from. To buy we could spend up to $450,000 on a place - can anyone point us in the right direction?

We've also considered the Kemps Creek / Austral areas but they seem a bit rough - does anyone have any experience of those suburbs? What is St Clair like? (Sorry for the question flood, new to NSW!)

Thanking you in advance!

We've also considered the Kemps Creek / Austral areas but they seem a bit rough - does anyone have any experience of those suburbs? What is St Clair like? (Sorry for the question flood, new to NSW!)

Thanking you in advance!

I live in St Clair. I love it. My street is extremely quiet, although if you go closer to the shops, it appears to be noisier. The neighbours are all friendly & pretty much keep to themselves. It is only a couple of minutes to get onto the Freeway, and it takes about 15 minutes to get to Penrith or Blacktown. About half an hour to Parramatta. Easy access to Liverpool & Wetherrill Park. It's only an hour to the airport.

Penrith has many facilities for the kids. There's Roller Skating, Ice Skating, Rock Climbing, White Water Rafting, Karate, Dance, Gymnastics and a whole heap more. Just down the road is the new Wet & Wild as well.

Unfortunately you wont get an acreage for 450k :(

St Clair and Erskine Park are both decent family suburbs that are still affordable. I live in Erskine Park and for your 450k budget you can buy a 4br house on 650-800sqm land.

Its 20 mins to Bella Vista on the M7 but be aware that once you get to Bella Vista, if its between 8-9.3am, it can be 15-20 mins to get from the M7 across Old Windsor Road to Norwest Blvd/Woolworths roundabout.

But prices are rising fast.:D

Yep I have noticed 4 bedders into the high 4's early 5's now. 450k should still get one needing a reno, or a nice 3br 2 living already renovated.

I was going through comparables for 5 bedders in Erskine Park last weekend and almost fell off my chair. 50-75k more than I paid in March.

I grew up in St Clair. Nice little area with everything you need close by. If your budget won't extend to what you want in St Clair, you should have a look at Colyton which is just over the bridge. Check your street though as there is a little bit of housing commission around ( eg Astwood st). The block sizes are generally bigger than st Clair too.

Seven Hills might still be achievable at that price tag, but may need some reno.
It's closer to Bella Vista.
The other suburbs Richmond / Windsor / Kurrajong may be bit far from Bella Vista or airport.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes we're resigned to the fact that acreage will be unattainable, sadly. We've just put our house on the market here and feeling a little emotional about it all.

We don't even really need a 4 bedder - we don't have children, so a 3 bedder would suffice - ideally we'd really like a smaller house on a larger block but haven't seen many of them around.

We have commuted 2 hours each way into Melbourne and back for work, every day, so even 30-40 minutes to Bella Vista and back would be a dream come true!

What's the train service like in St Clair and thereabouts?

What's the train service like in St Clair and thereabouts?

There is no train. You need to drive just down the road to St Mary's or Mt Druitt, but you get a reasonably fast service into Sydney from there. If you are going to Bella Vista, you would need to drive.

As above, drive to station or therei s the 774, 775 and 776 buses through the suburb to both stations.

There are a number of older early 80's unrenovated places on larger blocks in your price range, they do get snapped up quick by the granny flat brigade though.

Some places in your price range

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+clair-115320735
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+clair-110112449
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+clair-115491399
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+clair-115242971
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+clair-115795479
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-erskine+park-115766003 (seems underpriced)

Seven Hills might still be achievable at that price tag, but may need some reno.

Really...where Ken?

Seven Hills has done up tiny clad homes selling for around 600k on ~600sqm or so. I am sure these have been bought to be demolished and rebuilt.

And Seven Hills barely has reasonable homes. Most of the stock is junk and I think over the years the suburb will (and needs to) go through massive gentrification.

Thanks guys this is fantastic, it's great to actually get some input from people who know these areas. Just wondering about Colyton and Mt Druitt - I've heard that Mt Druitt is a pretty rough area - how much of that crosses to the surrounding suburbs?

I wouldnt vbother with colyton and mt druitt, at your budget you can buy somewhere much nicer.

A couple of other suburbs worth looking at which are closer to bella vista are Oakhurst and Quakers Hill, just ensure to look in the newer part of quakers as the old has active housing commission

Thanks guys this is fantastic, it's great to actually get some input from people who know these areas. Just wondering about Colyton and Mt Druitt - I've heard that Mt Druitt is a pretty rough area - how much of that crosses to the surrounding suburbs?

Colyton & Old Mt Druitt are predominantly older private homes on largish blocks. Mt Druitt has a heap of Housing Commission suburbs where you will spend around $300k for a small 3 bedder on an average size block. The nicer suburbs are the ones mostly on the South side of the Great Western Hwy.

If you like new estate there is Ropes Crossing under 500k

I wouldn't touch Ropes with a barge pole.

It is situated next to Tregear & Willmot (HC Suburbs). While that in itself wouldn't sway me, the blocks are tiny. Before the prices rose on the HC suburbs, there were a few that would purchase a HC home ($200k) on 600sqm and knock over the house, then put up a new place, all for less than you'd pay for a new place on 300sqm in Ropes.

If you are spending close to $500k out this way, then go to an established family oriented suburb. You can get a nice home (not new), on a nice size block where the neighbours aren't looking over the fence from their top storey.

If you are spending close to $500k out this way, then go to an established family oriented suburb. You can get a nice home (not new), on a nice size block where the neighbours aren't looking over the fence from their top storey.

That's what we're aiming for - we live in a 20 yr old mudbrick home and love the character, so a nice but well-loved home is right down our alley. What are some decent established family oriented suburbs that have good sized blocks?

Anyone have any input on Werington Downs?

Back