where is the bargains in Perth

Any of you guys heard of Forrestfield? If so what are your thoughts, 5 - 10 min away from Welshpool/Kewdale/Int Airport. 20 min from City but miles from the beach, 3x1 are between 330-400k. Its bit of a bogan area but there cant be much out there at that price range close to these areas.

close to shops?

schools?

public transport?

community facilities?

a river instead of a beach?

Forrestfield is not my kind of place to invest for resi - comm yes - but resi i htink your money - in that price bracket - is better spent.

but again, that's just my opinion and certainly not worth the ones and zeros this post makes up.

Any of you guys heard of Forrestfield? If so what are your thoughts, 5 - 10 min away from Welshpool/Kewdale/Int Airport. 20 min from City but miles from the beach, 3x1 are between 330-400k. Its bit of a bogan area but there cant be much out there at that price range close to these areas.

Perth is a cashed up bogan city, so most suburbs are bogan areas, but don't let that dissuade you, bogans have money too you know!

When you're talking house prices, land component is a big factor, 3x1 on 1000sqm and a 3x1 on 400sqm are going to be hugely different, even in forrestfield. So, hard to say whether that's a good price and what to compare it to in other areas.

for that price you may still be able to get in rivervale or belmont, alternatively a smaller place north of the river. I think that'd be a better bet that forrestfield.

I hear what your saying, but most househoulds have a car. And there wont be too many houses (700sqm) in this price range in the next few years.

Public transport? Whats that?
I hear what ur saying, I live in Forrestfield. We bought because it was affordable and 5 min from work(Kewdale). U need to keep in mind that a heaps of people work in industrial areas and don't rely on PT, and with another boom I'm guessing alot of the new jobs will be in these areas. ie steel fab, machining plus fly in/out workers. Dont get me wrong I would love to buy in Applecross or Shelley but at the moment it aint a reality.

Hi, I waited for months to drop price of Applecross or Shelley but didn't. I bought in 1 in Willetton, 2 in Parkwood, and 1 in Langford. You still can buy a 3X1 on 700m2 for $380K to $420K in Parkwood and for $290K to $330 K in Langford, They are near industrial areas.
Thanks

Rixter,
I think your previous post where you talk about your 10 year rule,drawing equity from a property is very interesting.
Just wondering if you have started doing this yet?
If so, are the lenders concerned at all that you don't have "employed "income? If you used the equity to live off of, it wouldn't be tax deductible. You would need to live off the rent, and use the equity to pay the mortgages with..right?

Kathryn we have been using LOE for a number of years now however not fully without a PAYG income. I hit the DSR wall a few years ago because our PAYG income was not adequate to substantiate further borrowing. To get me around that issue I implemented a cashbond structure to increase DSR and keep borrowing. We will continue this structure to top up LOC's once payg is done away with all together.

Correct, borrowings for lifestyle wouldnt be tax deductible however with LOE you are not paying income tax in the first instance. So from a cash flow perspective you are effectively living off equity without the need for a cash injection back from the ATO anyway.

I have mentioned before in other threads over years gone by that some times investors can be their own worst enemies by distractions of whats tax deductible and whats not that some times we can lose sight of the forest for the trees. In the big picture or scheme of things does it really matter if some costs are deductible and others not if one's portfolio is already self sufficient in the first instance - I dont think so.

The poor and middle class think cash flow. If they choose to go into business or invest they try to build multiple streams of income from cash flow, whilst the rich and wealthy slowly build their capital, the equity in their properties, in their investments and in their businesses.

The Australian economy is based on capitalism, so while the poor and middle class are busy working hard and building their cash flow – because that’s what the “system” teaches them – the rich/wealthy are quietly building up their capital base, their equity and living on that for income.

This is a complete paradigm shift in thinking for some who have or who are just being exposed to the idea for the first time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back