Where to Buy - Canberra

What about Harrison or Franklin? You'd get a nice house for your budget and it's only 10km from city centre.

Angel
I think Harrison or Franklin are good for ppor... nice and new....

After living at a new house for a while, you will not want to live in an older house anymore ;-)

I have a dog, so I'm really looking at units and townhouses and houses. I've been reviewing the offerings in the Queanbeyan and Jerrambombera areas as well as the list of areas I've got in front of me, will be in Canberra within a fortnight to do some proper viewing, so looking forwards to it.

I must admit the next election has me worried about investing in Canberra. I won't go into my political opinions, except for to say we seem to have a lose-lose-lose opportunity haha

Meh - talk about APS cuts is always on the cards....

There's some good dog parks in Tuggeranong, Weston, Belconnen and Forde that your pup will enjoy :)

Cheers

Jamie

I have a dog, so I'm really looking at units and townhouses and houses. I've been reviewing the offerings in the Queanbeyan and Jerrambombera areas as well as the list of areas I've got in front of me, will be in Canberra within a fortnight to do some proper viewing, so looking forwards to it.

I must admit the next election has me worried about investing in Canberra. I won't go into my political opinions, except for to say we seem to have a lose-lose-lose opportunity haha

I live in Jerrabomberra, and really like it here. Houses are reasonably priced for what is mostly newish stock on reasonable blocks. It takes about 25 mins to drive to the city in peak hour, about 15-20 otherwise.

Just make sure you buy up the eastern end, to avoid aircraft noise.

I live in Jerrabomberra, and really like it here. Houses are reasonably priced for what is mostly newish stock on reasonable blocks. It takes about 25 mins to drive to the city in peak hour, about 15-20 otherwise.

Just make sure you buy up the eastern end, to avoid aircraft noise.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm aware of the flight path (being in the Air Force, I'd lose my job if I wasn't I think :D), do the aircraft fly close to the western end? I was looking at a couple of places in Cane Rd (?), and also a few streets back from that shopping centre, but would like to hear more.

I really need to do a suburb visit before anything else, which will happen soon, but I hadn't really considered the aircraft noise issue.

Depending on conditions of course- a lot of flights approach over Googong Dam and western Jerra. One of the reasons there's been a lot of problems with the proposed Tralee development- airport v developers. I don't know how often they use this approach.

Having lived under a flight path in Sydney, Canberra is far quieter. But it can be a nuisance.

I live in Queanbeyan west at the moment so under the flight path. You do hear them when they fly over but its not like its every 5 minutes. Maybe I've gotten used to it as I hardly notice it and it doesn't really worry me.

Its funny, Queanbeyan was never a place I had ever considered living (my snobish side coming out) but ended up here.

I've only been here 7 months. Sometimes I'm quite puzzled at myself that I actually really like living here. I never thought it would be for me.... maybe its becuase I live in a nice quiet street and my house back onto the nature reserve.

Queanbeyan is an interesting place. It still has a degree of stigma from many Canberrans as 'struggle town', but it can be a surprisingly nice place to live. Nice community feel.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm aware of the flight path (being in the Air Force, I'd lose my job if I wasn't I think :D), do the aircraft fly close to the western end? I was looking at a couple of places in Cane Rd (?), and also a few streets back from that shopping centre, but would like to hear more.

I really need to do a suburb visit before anything else, which will happen soon, but I hadn't really considered the aircraft noise issue.

Definitely come and have a look. If you want a party or 'happening' atmosphere, Jerra won't suit you, but if you have a family and want to kick a ball in the park and walk your dog you'll love it.

Do not buy west of the Jerrabomberra Parkway (near the old shops), try to go 500 metres or more east of this street. Check the map and you'll see what I mean.

I'd suggest you list the streets you like, but really, there aren't any bad areas, so just find a place you like roughly on the eastern side and you'll be sweet.

Don't write off Queanbeyan either, there are some great homes and nice streets, just be aware that there are some streets that may be less desirable.

I think if you're after this then Canberra won't suit you :)

Cheers

Jamie

haha don't be so cruel. Besides, I'm coming from Adelaide, they're both country towns by comparison to Melbourne :D

All,
Thanks for the feedback. Jerra has a lot of defence families, which I'm aware of, and I know that Queanbeyan is very much a case of choosing with care. For instance, for some reason I don't like Karabar, but there you have it. And I live next to a railway crossing, so I think the occasional plane will almost seem quiet haha!

I'm still looking up in Canberra too, so I'm going to be fairly busy in the next few weeks :)

Canberra have lots of parties! The whole of the CBD is a pub/bar/club central.

What are everyone's thoughts on Ainslie? Interested in an Duplex there.

Canberra not a party town!!??? Sure we live in the same place? Lol.

We used to party 5 nights a week - Mondays - hospitality night, a break on Tuesday - maybe a discount movie, Wednesday - Comedy night, Thursdays were happy hour at Uni pub or Moose heads or if you feel like something more up market cocktails at B-bar or The Kennedy in Kingston; Fridays & Saturdays - take your pick, are you in the mood for RnB, dance/trance, mainstream pop? whatever your heart desires there is a beat for you to tap those feet until the sun comes up. Sundays were recovery at someone's place (usually mine) with a bbq; or out to dinner or coffee in Manuka.

This was back in the day of course, I'm a lot more responsible now :p. To be honest I don't know how I ever did it. These days it more dinner with friends and the occasional after work drinks at T&G or Suburban and of course investing, building and renovations. Do I miss the party days? Hell NO!!!! :eek:

Canberra can be whatever you make it, except if you want the beach this is not the place for you. For me I don't like waves, sand or wind so a picnic blanket on the lush green grass beside the lake is my idea of perfection.

Just on where to buy - you should check out Forde too if you are into a quiet community feel with a few parks. We're building there at the moment and will be in by Christmas. Very excited.

Canberra is great for parties and because everywhere is close, you can go to a few a night.

Is there is a register of where public housing are located?

Ainslie is a nice suburb close to the city. Leafy streets, no apartments (except govt flats) I think it represents greater value than Kingston. The annoying thing is that it contains public housing. But than again so does Kingston. I just don't understand the price discrepency between the two...

Canberra is great for parties and because everywhere is close, you can go to a few a night.

Is there is a register of where public housing are located?

Ainslie is a nice suburb close to the city. Leafy streets, no apartments (except govt flats) I think it represents greater value than Kingston. The annoying thing is that it contains public housing. But than again so does Kingston. I just don't understand the price discrepency between the two...

Kingston includes the foreshore of the Lake Burley Griffin - very expensive, yuppy area with nice waterfront views. Kingston is also close to the Manuka shopping centre with boutique eateries and shops. Plus proximities to the most expensive suburbs of Griffith, Forrest, Red Hill and Yaralumla. Then there are the schools - Red Hill Grammar Boys and Girls and Narranbundah College where many diplomats send their children. Vey big contrast between Ainslie and Kingston to the locals.

Last edited:
What are everyone's thoughts on Ainslie? Interested in an Duplex there.

I think it's already had it's increase in value, but I don't know the market as well as I'd like.

Angel13 said:
Thursdays were happy hour at Uni pub or Moose heads

Ew, Mooseheads, full of military types (way better than Shooters, if it's still called that) ;)

Ainslie is a great suburb. I really like it. I drive through there basically every morning, lovely tree lined streets, right amongst nature, full of king parrots and fat crimson rosellas. It's pretty pumped price wise though lately, I don't see it as representing "value" any more. I'd look at Watson and Hackett which are close by also surrounded by nature but heaps better value and lots of renovations going on so the areas are picking up.

Kingston... Meh.

I have never understood the buzz surrounding Kingston and Manuka :p
But sure, they're "nice", I just wouldn't pay the asking prices for what you get.

Back