Where to buy in Birsbane / Brisbane?

I'm from Sydney so I don't have much ideas of the Brisbane market but the prices and potential is attracting me to look there. I'm interested in free standing houses (prefer 3 bedroom or higher) not apartment up to $550k. What are the good suburb options in Brisbane at that price range? Are there the equivalent areas like the Hills in Sydney?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO think there is a flow of residents in low lying areas around Sunnybank, Eight Mile Plains and surrounds to the higher grounds and newer developments in Rochedale, which explains partly the rise of prices around Runcorn. This is based on discussion with an agent in a land sales office.

Last edited:
IMO think there is a flow of residents in low lying areas around Sunnybank, Eight Mile Plains and surrounds to the higher grounds and newer developments in Rochedale, which explains partly the rise of prices around Runcorn. This is based on discussion with an agent in a land sales office.

Keen to know what you mean by low lying areas, I would suggest that it is more to do with being priced out of the more expensive suburbs but want to live in the general area so buy in the next suburb

Keen to know what you mean by low lying areas, I would suggest that it is more to do with being priced out of the more expensive suburbs but want to live in the general area so buy in the next suburb

From my banker I know that the flooding around Brisbane in previous years have an impact on availability of borrowing from banks for what is perceived as low lying areas. Demand outside of Sunnybank Hills may arise from being priced out, but some developments in Rochedale are by no means cheap. Instead I can see elements of elitism and upgrading from old built up areas to new lifestyle developments at play, eg Rochedale Estates.

So you're saying Sunnybank, Eight Mile Plains are low lying areas, i.e. flood zones?

I am not saying all of Sunnybank and Eight Mile Plains are in low lying areas, just that potential flooding is always a consideration when buying around Brisbane.

Clearly some parts of these suburbs are susceptible to flooding:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/SUNNYBANK.pdf
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/tlpi_flood_map_eight_mile_plains.pdf

Hum, might be good to avoid these two areas then:)

I have property there for well over a decade and not had any issues..... flooding is isolated to low lying creek areas in Brisbane. Brisbane is a very undulating metro area so will have high areas & low areas.

Just do your DD to eliminate the low areas in suburbs susceptible to flooding.

What are the good suburb options in Brisbane at that price range?
Check suburbs in or adjacent to the various satellite cbd's located around the metropolitan area. They are the CG hubs.

Those are high employment area's with main arterial roads in/out of the suburb, with public transport hubs, major shopping precincts, good educational, medical & recreational facilities..

All the things people want to be located close by to and/or within easy commute. This helps bolsters the demand side of the supply/demand equation which in turn puts upward pressure on asking prices.

I hope this helps.

I have property there for well over a decade and not had any issues..... flooding is isolated to low lying creek areas in Brisbane. Brisbane is a very undulating metro area so will have high areas & low areas.

Just do your DD to eliminate the low areas in suburbs susceptible to flooding.

I have property there too. I was joking:) Those are theoretical flood maps. I don't think it has ever flooded in Sunnybank.

Check out areas such as Stafford and Stafford Heights as there great post war homes on good blocks only 6-7 kms from CBD

I have property there too. I was joking:) Those are theoretical flood maps. I don't think it has ever flooded in Sunnybank.

I know you have property there. I was speaking to people who read this thread that may be concerned. I was not joking :) but now I am joking about not joking! ;)

What about Ipswich and Redbank Plains?

Hi,

I have been approached by a company National Hotspots with a 4bedroom in Redbank Plains for 380k.
Can someone suggest about the flood conditions and capital growth expected in that area.

Thanks
Nishant

Back