Where to buy in Melbourne within 20km of CBD

Hi Guys,

i am looking for a second IP within a 20km radius of the Melbourne CBD for the next 5 yrs, I am looking for Capital Growth mainly with Yield as a bonus.

Your thoughts?
Up and coming Suburbs?
1-2 bedrrom apartments?
units?
House ?

Please advice.

Thank you,

Gary

Hi

H,
With that sort of budget why not appoint a buyers agent to assist?
I would look at quality over quanity when looking at buying a property.

Also is there a reason why you only want to look at apartments?

H,
With that sort of budget why not appoint a buyers agent to assist?
I would look at quality over quanity when looking at buying a property.

Also is there a reason why you only want to look at apartments?

I have never dealt with buyers agent's.. Whats their pros and cons
How do they add value
and what can they do that the average person on the search for a IP can't ?

Thanks,

I have never dealt with buyers agent's.. Whats their pros and cons
How do they add value
and what can they do that the average person on the search for a IP can't ?

Thanks,

Pros
They do the searching for you and since it's there 9-5 they SHOULD be able to find you good deals that match your criteria.

They SHOULD have intricate knowledge of a number of suburbs unlike most investors who may only know the areas they live in and around.

They SHOULD be able to negotiate on deals for you and unless your good at negotiating, do a better job.

Cons
You need to pay for this service

So it then comes down to weighing up whether or not paying the fee which I believe is around 2% gets you a ROI in both time and money. For example it will cost you 12k for a 600k purchase. So if they find you something like this and it's real value is say 650k then I would say money well spent.
But if you want to buy in an area you know well personally I could never justify the cost versus some of your own hard work and research.

If you can find a good buyer agents the pros should outweigh the cons.

If a con is paying for professional advice then its not so bad at all..

Are you looking at a buy and hold strategy?

I looked into Preston.. so many new developments there!! It might be saturated + I nwas reading this the other day http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...118455225?nk=57c3281a6231e7cf88affdaecfe37ff4

There is a bit of supply at the moment affecting yield so got to pick your investment wisely. However there are also many pros to Preston as mentioned in other Preston thread.

Crime rate I don't personally know for sure. I dont live there but shop at Preston all the time and it's normally very busy.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Vermont - lot of action and close to train station.. I think their is a big mosque or place of prayer that is driving a lot of people there and schools. Wish I had bought there a while ago houses were cheap! Now something decent can go over $600k for a 3 bedder.

Have you looked at Vermont - lot of action and close to train station.. I think their is a big mosque or place of prayer that is driving a lot of people there and schools.

I can't see any mosques listed for Vermont (or in its vicinity) either....

Are you sure you've got the right suburb?

The Y-man

Back