Where to buy in Perth?

Langford have changed and I reckon it will do well capital growth wise as well as it is still cheaper compared to all suburbs around it (cannington, thornlie and Lynwood)

I'd prefer Hamilton Hill over Langford, however I might be biased away from Lynwood/Langford - I lived there when I was 19 and it was a hole. But things have changed since then to a degree, but not sure how much in reality - the houses might look prettier, but I imagine the people living in the area are probably still the same.

If you're looking at Lynwood, go as close to the Ferndale boundary as you can. From memory it gets progressively better and you can pretend you're not in Lynwood, then :)

Good luck with the house hunting.

I often think people in the military get a double edged sword regarding housing. Cheap or free rent, but then it delays them getting into the property market for years.

Absolutley. I'm just lucky that I have a posting beyond a couple of years.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go through the process. From the sums I've done I could buy up to 430 k pretty comfortably, this would lead to looking at houses about 450 k max.

I would be able to service the loan by myself if my partner lost her job, it wouldn't be pretty but it would be achievable.

Go speak to a broker to assess your serviceability. What you think you can service and what banks are prepared to lend can be very different. Then go house hunting with the confidence that you can secure the financing

Especially if you're using keystart, as they are not particularly generous with their servicing. And they've just dropped their maximum income cap too - if you earn combined over $95k you won't be eligible any more.

We make between us 93900, so just under the threshold. I am waiting for a broker to contact me now... They really dictate my next move.

Probably as close to the Coogee Marina / beach / Fremantle as you can get would be my pick, preferably west of Rockingham Rd .

Any tips on how to not get my pants pulled down by a REA?

Not sure what you mean - most agents are pretty on the level. You just have to remember that at the end of the day, they work for the seller.

So don't expect independent advice on things like "how much should I offer?" and you'll be fine.

Just go into it aware that they don't work for you and they will try to get max $$ out of you. Also be aware that their building and pest clauses are likely junk and you may want to get your own.

As long as you have a clear idea about how much you want to spend, you shouldn't have too much trouble - we are not in a hot market right now.

Sorry, by that I meant how do I prevent the REA using me to get a better than best deal out of me. :p

Not quite sure what you mean.

Perth is now a buyers market, in other words you are in the box seat, there is more stock on the market and fewer buyers, good news for you.

You can call the shots, low ball or walk and find something else. However if you are patient and wait another 6 months you will probably see further drops in the Perth market. Personally I would sit and wait and rent, rents have dropped off so may be the best way for you to go in this market.

MTR

Sorry, by that I meant how do I prevent the REA using me to get a better than best deal out of me. :p

At the end of the day you have to do your own due diligence and know what something is worth, you have to spend the time doing this.

I would Narrow it down to 1 suburb and start from there. Realestate.com will show what sold recently in the area so that is a good start.

At the end of the day you have to do your own due diligence and know what something is worth, you have to spend the time doing this.

I would Narrow it down to 1 suburb and start from there. Realestate.com will show what sold recently in the area so that is a good start.

That's what I am doing now, I'm also looking at some of the paid tools that show previous sale prices etc to assist in ensuring I get the best value for money.

I am doing a lot of reading on here and whirlpool as well, about the settlment and offering process.

That's what I am doing now, I'm also looking at some of the paid tools that show previous sale prices etc to assist in ensuring I get the best value for money.

I am doing a lot of reading on here and whirlpool as well, about the settlment and offering process.

Have a look at realestateinvestar .com.au good for searches and desktop valuations. Or pricefinder or rpdata.

And don't feel rushed, time is on your side in the current market.
And don't let emotions get the better of you ;)

Have a look at realestateinvestar .com.au good for searches and desktop valuations. Or pricefinder or rpdata.

And don't feel rushed, time is on your side in the current market.
And don't let emotions get the better of you ;)

What a brilliant tool, I'm using that now.

Ugly house, but 700m2 R40 zoned makes this tempting.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-spearwood-118900911

It has been on the market for 4 months with a couple of price drops, according to Investar it is undervalued, I would say most value is in the land not the pink carpet. :p

Thoughts?

What a brilliant tool, I'm using that now.

Ugly house, but 700m2 R40 zoned makes this tempting.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-spearwood-118900911

It has been on the market for 4 months with a couple of price drops, according to Investar it is undervalued, I would say most value is in the land not the pink carpet. :p

Thoughts?

Seems to be under contract already?

Also, are you actually getting a full 700sqm? It looks like one half of a duplex pair to me.

Back