Where to buy next?

Anyone got an opions on Redbank Plains & Brown Plains..

Bought one in Redbank Plains 2008 rental growth has been slow due to lots of new NRAS stock advertised with low rents, been lots of development in the area as there is still lots of land. Values took a big hit during GFC and flooding etc but things seem to be improving, rents creeping higher as are values but probably won't move too much until BN moves first IMO

Sorry Strongy, I had my development goggles on, I definitely agree that Aitkenvale has lots of scope for splitter blocks or multi unit developments which should then cater to students, nurses, retail staff etc.
I'd be looking to develop and hold as well.

Haha yeah gotcha good idea

Better options for your buy and hold passive investors

Still I good time to buy in Cairns at the moment, decent yield if you can find the right place. Some dodgy areas if you're not familiar with it, can't really go wrong with a 4-2-2 in a newer area like White Rock, vacancy rate pretty low, 10kms to the City. Some haggling possible if you're into that kind of thing.

Would never buy in White Rock. Very low socio-economic area. Lots of Dept of Housing, high crime area, poor reputation, wouldn't attract quality tenants. Over the Highway at Mount Sheridan is a much better prospect.

Anyone got an opions on Redbank Plains & Brown Plains..

Hi Jenko,

We are strongly against that area, we have several properties on our rent roll that we did not buy but manage that the clients would be in the negative 7-8 years after purchase. So much land out there, very little second hand property demand.

With your budget we would suggest a original unit 5-8kms from city or a house in the Redcliffe, Margate area.

Good luck

Would never buy in White Rock. Very low socio-economic area. Lots of Dept of Housing, high crime area, poor reputation, wouldn't attract quality tenants. Over the Highway at Mount Sheridan is a much better prospect.

Do you have any stats to back this up?
Looking at the QPS website, they are pretty comparable (see attached).
Not everyone can afford to buy within 10kms of Sydney City.

Attachments

• WR MS.jpg
    WR MS.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 89

Not that bad and crime is quite low, possibly lower than Mt Sheridan and well below Edmonton. A little public housing but not that much. I think the reputation is gossip more than reality though not a razzy dazzy suburb does have some nice areas, does have good value and high returns and is close to town. Has a great school in Trinity Anglican. Has a golf course and resort. A few streets redevelopment could see the suburb really take off. It is nice north then a bit older then newer section with the school, then the housing bit,then the rural part with horse stud etc. So not place you can generalise about really. Some sections need some paint but then most suburbs in Cairns are the same.

I would say long term potential. Easy to get tenants.

Do you have any stats to back this up?
Looking at the QPS website, they are pretty comparable (see attached).
Not everyone can afford to buy within 10kms of Sydney City.

Try atlas.id.com.au/cairns and look up low income households. I'm not making a comment on whether there are any good deals there but I wouldn't be looking for a upmarket new build in that location.
Most of the general population of Cairns wouldn't consider it so I would only be looking at entry level cheap places if I was still interested

Try atlas.id.com.au/cairns and look up low income households. I'm not making a comment on whether there are any good deals there but I wouldn't be looking for a upmarket new build in that location.
Most of the general population of Cairns wouldn't consider it so I would only be looking at entry level cheap places if I was still interested

Cairns is a low income city. It is not an upmarket suburb but we stay at Trinity links and love it. I think it suffers more from the gossip than from facts. The atlas id conform it is not the poorest nor the richest.

Great that you love the location and if so go for it, from an investment point of view if you buy a newer upmarket property in that location it would be surrounded by low end properties and HC tenants as shown by the distinctly red area east of the highway on atlas.id.com. If it is for a ppor it's a different story, that's my take on it anyway
Are you very familiar with the Cairns market?

Not that bad and crime is quite low, possibly lower than Mt Sheridan and well below Edmonton. A little public housing but not that much. I think the reputation is gossip more than reality though not a razzy dazzy suburb does have some nice areas, does have good value and high returns and is close to town. Has a great school in Trinity Anglican. Has a golf course and resort. A few streets redevelopment could see the suburb really take off. It is nice north then a bit older then newer section with the school, then the housing bit,then the rural part with horse stud etc. So not place you can generalise about really. Some sections need some paint but then most suburbs in Cairns are the same.

I would say long term potential. Easy to get tenants.

Similar to 'the 3 M's', people like to generalise.
There are nice areas but like anywhere you have to do your research.
If the numbers work, vacancy rate is low, yield is good, I don't really mind where it is.
Some good buys there, I think they've definitely seen the bottom of the market.

I'll assume that you are joking regarding IQ
Back to investing, yes I agree good buys available with strong yields in down market areas but buying a new expensive property in a S*** suburb is probably not the best decision IMO and I don't mind the 3 M's for inexpensive high yielding property at the right price

I would have to agree with Doozer about White Rock, it was my first preference when crunching numbers but after driving around looking at properties there you could tell noone cared about their properties and were rundown and the general feel of the area was sketchy we then moved our search over the highway to Mount sheridan/ Edmonton but found they were better but we felt overpriced compared to northern beaches, we ended up buying 4/2/2 in Smithfield on a street that people took pride in and got a great professional tenant signed up before settlement. So personally would not invest south of the city. Very happy to invest north though. Again is my personal opinion

I would have to agree with Doozer about White Rock, it was my first preference when crunching numbers but after driving around looking at properties there you could tell noone cared about their properties and were rundown and the general feel of the area was sketchy we then moved our search over the highway to Mount sheridan/ Edmonton but found they were better but we felt overpriced

The point is you did your research, didn't find what you wanted and moved on, as you should. I'm not recommending the whole suburb. Of course you need to know what you're looking for. There's some good value in the newer section South of Sheehy, East of the private school. Better demographic for tenants too ;)

Townsville - I have one in Idalia - 8% growth this year. It is close to private schools, army base, uni and hospital. Ive had it 5-6 years and I don't think it has been vacant even one day....

The weather is a bit more severe up north, that is why i went for a newer house as some of the old queenslanders need more $$ maintenance....

Townsville - I have one in Idalia - 8% growth this year. It is close to private schools, army base, uni and hospital. Ive had it 5-6 years and I don't think it has been vacant even one day....

Looks like a good spot, not far into town. I'm not familiar with Idalia, how did you decide on there? What are your thoughts out NW/Mt Low? Have the traffic issues been fixed by the new roads?
Edit: Just noticed you're in Perth, so maybe no local knowledge.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Doozer about White Rock, it was my first preference when crunching numbers but after driving around looking at properties there you could tell noone cared about their properties and were rundown and the general feel of the area was sketchy we then moved our search over the highway to Mount sheridan/ Edmonton but found they were better but we felt overpriced compared to northern beaches, /QUOTE]

White Rock, Woree, Earlville, Westcourt, Parramatta Park, Manunda, Moorrobool, North Cairns, bits of Whitfield all the original Cairns, are all a bit run down and shabby generally speaking and plenty of low socioeconomic areas. Yet a massive chunk of the population live there. All have exceptions so more street level than suburb when it comes to the older parts. The map shows far worse than White Rock with few areas any better. Edmonton for eg you say is nicer but has far higher crime and lower income, more public housing and is a darker shade of red on the map. So true it is not lovely shiny new suburb and has run down parts but that is true of a good chunk of the city, so in that context not that bad. Not great but not as bad as you and Doozer make out. Just trying for balance. Palm Cove is a drop dead gorgeous place by comparison yet suffered highest number of mortgage defaults in the state last year. So not all about looks when investing.

I would see White Rock better for rental returns than perhaps capital gains in the short term. Long term more and more newer housing is planned for the suburb which will have the negative of possible over supply but the positive of more and more newer housing drowning out the old. But it does tick some boxes, close to city and industrial estate in a town with very high fuel prices. Great school. Close to shopping and on a bus route. For renting see no problem with it.

I don't think you will have any problems finding tenants, the vacancy rate was low last time I looked.
TAS is the most expensive school in Cairns by some margin possibly, I don't think many residents in the suburb would go there but I could be wrong.

I would have to agree with Doozer about White Rock, it was my first preference when crunching numbers but after driving around looking at properties there you could tell noone cared about their properties and were rundown and the general feel of the area was sketchy we then moved our search over the highway to Mount sheridan/ Edmonton but found they were better but we felt overpriced compared to northern beaches, we ended up buying 4/2/2 in Smithfield on a street that people took pride in and got a great professional tenant signed up before settlement. So personally would not invest south of the city. Very happy to invest north though. Again is my personal opinion

I agree. Cairns market seems to be changing but I would stick to the city area or North. Wouldn't go past westcourt. Caravonica, Redlynch, Brinsmead seems to be a good starting place also and the beaches.

I agree. Cairns market seems to be changing but I would stick to the city area or North. Wouldn't go past westcourt. Caravonica, Redlynch, Brinsmead seems to be a good starting place also and the beaches.

I'd be more worried walking around parts of the city area at night than out in the burbs ;)

Back