where to buy PPOR in Perth area?

Getting my ducks all lined up - just in case - as any move would be on short notice (max 8 weeks) and would prefer to buy straight up with dog and cat in tow - but will rent if have to.

Ideally would love a few acres for a horse - or at least a large enough yard for chooks and vege gardens.

Can go up to $1,000,000 (can go over but no mortgage would be nice).

Not scared of a reno and would even prefer just land for a build - obviously pay less than $1mil if have to reno or build.

Hubby would be doing some mine flying in/out but based in Perth (not sure what suburb yet) so distance to airport not essential, but no more than 1hr if possible.

Not fussed on cosmopolitan but love a vibrant community - complete, but socially acceptable, nutters.

Love the beach - both hubby and junior surf.

Need good schools - either state or private - within okay distance to drive as junior very academic and needs challenge.

Any suggestions? I have no idea about Perth, know no one there except you guys and Perth is a big place to be realestate.comming without some narrowing down.

Last edited:
Getting my ducks all lined up - just in case - as any move would be on short notice (max 8 weeks) and would prefer to buy straight up with dog and cat in tow - but will rent if have to.

Ideally would love a few acres for a horse - or at least a large enough yard for chooks and vege gardens.

Can go up to $1,000,000 (can go over but no mortgage would be nice).

Not scared of a reno and would even prefer just land for a build.

Hubby would be doing some mine flying in/out but based in Perth (not sure what suburb yet) so distance to airport not essential, but no more than 1hr if possible.

Not fussed on cosmopolitan but love a vibrant community - complete, but socially acceptable, nutters.

Love the beach - both hubby and junior surf.

Need good schools - either state or private - within okay distance to drive as junior very academic and needs challenge.

Any suggestions? I have no idea about Perth, know no one there except you guys and Perth is a big place to be realestate.comming without some narrowing down.

You won't get acreage in Perth next to th beach

Outside of Perth you will, but not in the metro area.

Despite it being small, it's quite there's quite a lot to choose from and the differences can be huge.

From Rockingham (beach suburb) to Cottesloe (prestige beach suburb) to Joondalup in the North (newer beach suburbs), and surrounding suburbs and most of what's in between, there is a huge difference in demographics lifestyle etc etc

But all of them have properties for $1m

But all of them have properties for $1m

Haha - thanks Jaycee. Doesn't have to be a $mil property, and can be less ... that's just what we can go up to without a mortgage ... but I'll have a sus around those suburbs.

The other factors are probably more important - land, schools, distance to airport, beach (if possible).

Also, doesn't have to be a beachside suburb, as long it was reasonable driving distance ... I know it's a tossup between beach an acres.

Haha - thanks Jaycee. Doesn't have to be a $mil property, and can be less ... that's just what we can go up to without a mortgage ... but I'll have a sus around those suburbs.

The other factors are probably more important - land, schools, distance to airport, beach (if possible).

Also, doesn't have to be a beachside suburb, as long it was reasonable driving distance ... I know it's a tossup between beach an acres.

Perhaps have a look at a map of perth outling in the iarport and suburbs etc to give you an idea lizzie as a starting point Give you an idea of distance between beach suburbs & the airport to let you determine if they're suitable or not

All of the suburbs I listed (with the posibble exception of Cottesloe), have cheap housing and $1m housing ($m isn't that exclusive in Perth either, so the (espeically ) up to $1m homes you mentioned can be found in lots of suburbs ws waht I was trying to say.

Mandurah is an hour from airport and has nice beaches but flat (zero) surf as does most of Perth beaches.

I remember when living over there that the locals used to call 4ft waves at trigg or scarbourough beach.....we reminded them that their 4ft waves are called 2ft back East....LOL...

Only serious waves (like Newcastle does) you will get will be from Yallingup in the south to further south or around Kalbarri in the north...everything else is no real wave height worth riding, but it's safe for kiddies....except for the white pointers....of the fish variety that is...:D

Out the back of Mandurah and Rockingham there are acres and you would be only a few minutes drive from the beaches and as said earier within an hour of airport/Perth CBD, even closer to Freo which sounds more like your cuppa if you like Newcastle/Merewether.

Schools are plenty and Murdoch Uni is south of the river (Swan) too.

I found Perth/WA to be an all time favourite location and still don't know why I'm living here in NSW...??:confused:

One day....;)

Good luck and PM me if you want to discuss any specific location at all.

if you are going for acreage you may as well get something that may be rezoned one day. Give bluecard a call and see if he knows??

Mandurah is an hour from airport and has nice beaches but flat (zero) surf as does most of Perth beaches.

I remember when living over there that the locals used to call 4ft waves at trigg or scarbourough beach.....we reminded them that their 4ft waves are called 2ft back East....LOL...
Only serious waves (like Newcastle does) you will get will be from Yallingup in the south to further south or around Kalbarri in the north...everything else is no real wave height worth riding, but it's safe for kiddies....except for the white pointers....of the fish variety that is...:D

Out the back of Mandurah and Rockingham there are acres and you would be only a few minutes drive from the beaches and as said earier within an hour of airport/Perth CBD, even closer to Freo which sounds more like your cuppa if you like Newcastle/Merewether.

Schools are plenty and Murdoch Uni is south of the river (Swan) too.

I found Perth/WA to be an all time favourite location and still don't know why I'm living here in NSW...??:confused:

One day....;)

Good luck and PM me if you want to discuss any specific location at all.

That makes a lot of sense :confused:

Could be right about large blocks when you menitoned MAndurah etc.
But I did "assume" lizziue meant the metor area of perth and depsite the freeway going down to Mandurah., I doun't think too many people call it metro.

I actually have no idea how far MAnduarh is form the airport\

Looks like lizzie has choices, just depends on her criteria

if I was FIFO I would buy around dunsborough / yallingup. A lot of FIFO workers around bussleton too. the south west is where god FIFOs from on his 7 on 7 off roster.

if I was FIFO I would buy around dunsborough / yallingup. A lot of FIFO workers around bussleton too. the south west is where god FIFOs from on his 7 on 7 off roster.

might take a few more minutes to get to the perth airport but beautiful part of the world

That makes a lot of sense :confused:

Sorry Jaycee, I was taking the mickey out of Perth's surf (non)...I guess if you are not interested in surfing then I makes no sense....I'm sure Lizzie will understand.

Mandurah is less than 1 hour to airport now with freeways etc and acres plenty there between Mandurah & Pinjarra etc

But I agree with Ausprop totally....down south is the only place....as he said, God has a place there for FIFO.

Won't be full on flyin/out ... will be based in the technical labs in Perth (prob CBD but hoping not) with the "occasional" trip to the mine.

Wow - don't get much for your mil around Fremantle/Cottesloe area

try mosman park - it is right next door and was absolutely smashed during the GFC and without looking recently is probably still down 40% off its highs?

not considering it is one of the most expensive suburbs in one of the most expensive cities!

Too true...

Gosnells / Lockridge you might find more land $ for $ but you might also see why

If hubby is to work in the CBD, you might find Yallingup possibly a bit far

try mosman park - it is right next door and was absolutely smashed during the GFC and without looking recently is probably still down 40% off its highs?

Very nice down by the waterside should you wish to go for a stroll

Otherwise how about ILUKA, nice area and properties ;)

Why not a short term rental whilst you explore your opportunities? It may even be a good reason for a visit now :D

You can buy acreage in Baldivis which is only 10 mins from beach for under the million. My mother is about to put her 2 1/2 acre farmlet with arena and stables up for sale in Mundijong in the next couple of weeks for around $600k, Mundijong is about 20 mins from the beach and Tonkin Highway will soon extend to Mundijong Rd which will be handy if you use the airport frequently.

Thoughts on Wattle Grove/Orange Grove? Are they under the flight path? Nice and rural but close to airport and CBD ...

Not to sure about Baldivis - but don't mind the look of Karnup. One listing says 35mins to CBD and another say 45mins - both in the same street. Which is it?

Google earthed and realestate.commed all the way up and down the coast. As much as we like the beach - the thought of living in >400m2 block suburbia again, and in a mcmansion, depressess me.

There were some nice houses with beach views up towards Mullaloo and Marmion - but many of the shots, ie of the pool, also looked straight down into neighbours yards or photos of the "ocean" was this line glimpsed over rooftops ... no thanks (okay, so I'm spolit!).

I think, beach would be great for a 10-20min drive on weekends (seeings there's no SURF!) - but perhaps rural might suit better full time.

Last edited:
karnup is either about to be rezoned or has recently been rezonedm, it is also 5 mins to beach, 5 to freeway and 10 to train station. that wouldnt be a bad option.

i think you should come out here and rent first, no point rushing into anything

No doubt that is what we would do - rent for 6 months somewhere. Unfortunately having a dog and a cat can make that tricky.

Not sure if you have been to perth before so I assume you have not in saying the following....

From the coast thru the CBD and out east to the hills, shes very flat land with only the river cutting a swathe thru the floodplain. A few mounds near the beaches and CBD, but most of the metro suburbs its pretty flat.

So either close to the beach or else out in the hills would be my pick if need to be closer to 'town'. The hills are handy to airport too.

Summer is usually dry and hot....yep most rain occurs in the cooler months and boy does it rain then. But come summer and everything dries out and paddocks go yellow but in winter & spring it's lovely and lush green.

Summer is far easier near the beach as the 'doctor' is a welcome relief from mid morning onwards. Out in the hills she's hot hot hot.

Even though there is not much surf, the Metro beaches are lovely and mornings in summer at the beach are a delight ,but you pack up and leave as soon as the 'doctor' hits.....it's sand blast city.

That's when you pick a nice tavern for a Sunday 'session' and take in some live music.
Sat arvos at the Railway Hotel in North Freo I believe still have the old jazz band playing, nearly 30 years since I saw them. Locals please correct me if wrong on that.?? That was a great way to put in Sat arvo for young and old.

You'll love it I'm sure....never ever heard of anyone who didn't...!:cool:

Back