Where to for Tony ?

I've never been a fan Tony Abbott , though I've voted Liberal more often than labor .

As we know a significant reason he was elected was due to the performance of the Rudd / Gillard government .

I'd hoped that he would rise to the occasion . He'd had extensive experience within the Howard government but I think the reality is that he hasn't . He's shown occasional glimpses of statementship in a couple of crisis , however his threat to shirt front Putin will potential gain unique place in Australian history .

In terms of management of the economy , his failure to make significant progress with the budget has potential pulled the rug out from underneath the economic feet of the country .

Normally liberals fix up the economy so labour can come in and spend the money on their social programs .

So , unless tony turns things around , will the liberals follow the precedent of the last labour government and ditch an elected leader ?

Cliff

Ditch Tony, get Malcolm then ditch him as well.

The problem here is that the govt thinks that pensioners and the working class are going to foot the bill of getting the country out of debt. Reality check urgently needed here.

In terms of management of the economy , his failure to make significant progress with the budget has potential pulled the rug out from underneath the economic feet of the country .

It's a bit hard for the Libs to get the budget under control when most things they want to do get blocked by Clive Palmer, Greens, and everyone else. But I must say that Tony's paid parental leave scheme was just a dumb idea right from the start and his stubbornness to get rid of it when just about everyone else rejected it disappointed me.

Do people understand the effect the drop in iron ore and other commodities have had? It's made it so much harder for the Libs.

Normally liberals fix up the economy so labour can come in and spend the money on their social programs .

I reckon they are doing the best they can. It would be so easy to throw money at everyone and not worry about budgets. It's much tougher to try and fix things. Any monkey can spend money they don't have. A lot of things they have tried to do have put voters off side with them. You have got to admire the guts taken to do the tough things?

So , unless tony turns things around , will the liberals follow the precedent of the last labour government and ditch an elected leader ?

Doubt it. They will stick with Tony. Go down with the ship and stay proud. Turnbull is so much more likeable for the majority of people though I guess.

See ya's.

I think he just needs to keep on trucking. Fixing up the previous mess isn't very popular but has to be done before he can get on and do new things. It'd help if everyone stopped blocking his stuff though.

^^^^yeah ordinary ozzies got sucked into believing Tony was going to fix things up. Shows the power of the media. Soon as Tony got in he showed what he was really about.

Do people understand the effect the drop in iron ore and other commodities have had? It's made it so much harder for the Libs.

Do people understand the effect the GFC had worldwide 2008-2011? It made it soooo much harder for Labor to manage the economy and keep things humming along...yet Labor didn't squeal like stuck pigs like the Libs are doing now....:rolleyes:

Do people understand the effect the GFC had worldwide 2008-2011? It made it soooo much harder for Labor to manage the economy and keep things humming along...yet Labor didn't squeal like stuck pigs like the Libs are doing now....:rolleyes:
Did you not follow politics during that time? They squealed like stuck pigs, then squealed like stuck pigs some more.

In terms of Tony Abbott, the rumour mill is saying that he is running his office like Rudd did. Didn't work for Rudd, won't work for him. I don't know that this is true but it is disappointing if it is. I am fairly disgusted with this bunch of pollies on both sides of politics. They seem to be one of the biggest bunches of gimme, gimme, self entitled, selfish jerks that we have seen for a long time. Rudd was fairly ineffective, Gillard was fairly ineffective and Abbott seems like he will be fairly ineffective too.

If we want to really address the structural deficit in the budget, we will need a team of talented and dedicated politicians, working together to tackle government spending and tax reform. I don't think anyone would really describe the current Abbott Government that way. Another issue is they won't really be able to tackle tax reform without political capital, of which they have none but at the same time don't seem to be building it either. Still, it is early days. The first term of the Howard Government was rocky but it ended up building some political capital and making tax reforms.

I've never been a fan Tony Abbott , though I've voted Liberal more often than labor .

As we know a significant reason he was elected was due to the performance of the Rudd / Gillard government .

I'd hoped that he would rise to the occasion . He'd had extensive experience within the Howard government but I think the reality is that he hasn't . He's shown occasional glimpses of statementship in a couple of crisis , however his threat to shirt front Putin will potential gain unique place in Australian history .

Cliff

Maybe he's just not as street smart as those within the Labor Party,but they do have true street smart people within the system so the people that advise "Tony" on what to say when to say it better start to make allowances for his vulnerability, anything is gotta be better then the sideshow under "Noosa-Kev and Gillard" because in between behind the back closed doors in Canberra and the sounds of pigs being slaughtered
the mess Labor left for the next in line to pick up and run with but if Japan can do it why can't we..

Haha, you might remember they had a little head start with managing the economy. The healthiest starting point of any country in the world. Thank goodness for that hey?

Back