Where to for Tony ?

I would not do what he did, topcropper. I would not incarcerate children in detention and leave them with untreated sores, red eyes, constant coughing, stomach complaints, unrelenting anxiety, PTSD, under constant threat of being sexually mistreated, and with suicidal tendencies.

We would not treat our dogs this way, why treat children this way?

Fare enough. You are a kind hearted person Beanie Girl, just like all lefties. The problem is though that this would not have stopped em coming by boat. So there still would have been boats sinking at sea. People drowning? Being so kind to them would probably made more come? The detention was the disincentive.

See ya's.

Liberals are known to be more oriented toward corporate welfare, which dwarfs social welfare.

I have a question for all you 'Liberals are smarter when it comes to the economy' types. What do you think of the 'no tax on super income streams for everyone over 60' legislation introduced as a cheap and obvious (but failed) vote grab by your fiscal heroes?

In 2011 (or around there - might have been 2010) it cost taxpayers $30 billion in lost revenue. That's not since it was enacted, that's in one year. The lost revenue increases every year as more people retire and/or take a super pension. Also take into consideration that old people are very expensive to look after.

So far, we (the taxpayers) have lost over $100 billion because The Gnome desperately wanted back in office. Over time, it is going to end up costing us trillions of dollars (literally) because what party is going to reverse it? That would political suicide. Especially considering our population is aging. It's easy to turn on the tap, but almost impossible to turn it off. Howard knew exactly how irresponsible it was to propose and went ahead and did it anyway.

For what it's worth, I don't align with any party, anywhere along the spectrum. As far as I'm concerned, all politicians, every single one of them are bottom feeding scumbags, no exceptions.

http://www.treasury.gov.au/Policy-Topics/SuperannuationAndRetirement/supercharter/Report/Chapter-2

Provides an analysis of this topic. Of course the Revenue forgone headline number you use is of little value to the discussion for reasons discussed in the attached. It is also worthless because of how grossly inaccurate it is. The number you are quoting is the current year (not 2010) cost of all super tax concessions, not just tax free income. Govt co-contribution forms part of the total number for example.

In general I think the treatment of income tax concessions on retiree income and the provision of govt pensions is stupidly generous. When you can have more than $1mil in non PPR assets and still get some age pension, things are out of whack.

May i ask why do you guys get so worked up over all this stuff? It's almost as if Abbott has done something to you personally! I broke a promise wahhh wah wah. Who cares? Labor or Liberal i dont care. I have made money and improved my family's situation regardless, my cost of living hasnt been changed radically either way. I just cant understand how people who seem to be so good at looking after their own keep can get so worked up about what the government does. If you were pensioners and people on disability income i could perhaps kind of understand i guess. When you look back there has not been a really really bad government post ww2 so for people who are looking after their own future what does it matter?

Fare enough. You are a kind hearted person Beanie Girl, just like all lefties. The problem is though that this would not have stopped em coming by boat. So there still would have been boats sinking at sea. People drowning? Being so kind to them would probably made more come? The detention was the disincentive.

You're a kind-hearted person too, topcropper. You pick up and deliver firewood for very elderly pensioners in your town during winter, for free. Without the aged pension, you said, they would curl up and die because they are too old to work.
I can still remember what you said. :eek:

Kind-heartedness is not limited to us left-of-centre folk :p
Peace, bro

You're a kind-hearted person too, topcropper. You pick up and deliver firewood for very elderly pensioners in your town during winter, for free. Without the aged pension, you said, they would curl up and die because they are too old to work.
I can still remember what you said. :eek:

Kind-heartedness is not limited to us left-of-centre folk :p
Peace, bro

I thought I would quote that just because I like it. I didn't know you did that TC--I like you even more now. I can see where TC is coming from and I don't think that he would wish any of these people harm.

You're right Beanie Girl: there are plenty of Libs in the real world who are kind hearted. I think generally country people vote Liberal/National, and I can understand why. All my country relatives vote Liberal, and I don't blame them. We quite often have discussions about politics and I can see exactly where they are coming from.

Abbott reminds me of a monastic monk having ventured from his hermetically sealed cave into the 21st century. He just doesn't strike me as living in the real world. What was with that cheesy Christmas message with his wife?

His daughter took a scholarship meant for someone who needed it. But she didn't wear the heat for it; the whistle blower did.

imho, the countries who come out winners are the ones who look after everyone--not just the rich. The US, for all its might and power, isn't a wonderful country. It's the only country in the world where if people are poor they think it's their own fault. I don't know how people survive with the minimum wage in the States.

Which promises has he broken?

Seriously? And the right says the left is living in lala land? The fact you even question this is fantastic! Keep telling yourselves that no promises were broken and everything is ok. Can't wait for one term Tony to be gone and the Royal Commissions to begin.

May i ask why do you guys get so worked up over all this stuff? It's almost as if Abbott has done something to you personally! I broke a promise wahhh wah wah. Who cares? Labor or Liberal i dont care. I have made money and improved my family's situation regardless, my cost of living hasnt been changed radically either way. I just cant understand how people who seem to be so good at looking after their own keep can get so worked up about what the government does. If you were pensioners and people on disability income i could perhaps kind of understand i guess. When you look back there has not been a really really bad government post ww2 so for people who are looking after their own future what does it matter?

I can't say for others but im surely not worked up.

12 broken promises so far by this count.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-07/abbott-government-broken-promises-jumps-to-12/5870784

That's 11 more than the last government, and counting. You just can't expect to get away with treating the electorate like that.

Seriously? And the right says the left is living in lala land? The fact you even question this is fantastic! Keep telling yourselves that no promises were broken and everything is ok. Can't wait for one term Tony to be gone and the Royal Commissions to begin.

Are you serious? The abc website which is as communist as it gets even shows that all his promises are in progress.

A week in indigenous community - did 4 days in harshest one there is.
Send a boat to check whaling activity - he sent a plane.
Changes to Super - more than offset by the very generous new tax concessions.

Break break break. Oh my god.

I'm curious, do you actually know the meaning of communist? If you truly believe the abc website has a communist bent it might be worth going back to school or at the very least banging your head against a wall

Btw the article does say that the Abbott government is delivering on more promises than its breaking, surprising to see that on a communist websitr

Do you stick by your precious comment that not a single promise has been broken by Tony Abbott? Feel free to address the points raised instead of attacking the source of the points

I'll try again

You claimed no promises have been broken

This is a detailed list of promises made and how the current govt is tracking. Of those I think it says 15 have been kept, 12 broken and some being worked on.

This goes against your claim that none were broken.

Are you saying the website is wrong and none of the 12 have been broken?

Btw it doesn't say all his promises are in progress. Some have been plainly broken so I'm not sure how you can claim that

I didnt claim that, I asked if any had been broken and listed the progress on the ones I could think of.

Then someone posted a more complete list. On that, the some of the ones claimed to be broken are actually done or substituted.

Well talk about hysteria. I think all credibility has gone in this thread once people start saying things like "the ABC is communist."

So instead of listening to the terribly communist and biased Australian Broadcasting Corporation (because we all know how the government of Australia and it's state owned services are secretly communist) you would listen to what... the Herald Sun? Media owned by Rupert Murdoch?

Does anyone here have a serious response to any of the issues raised against Abbott without just throwing around the word "communist" or "leftie"? It's like we're in America in the 50s here. Oh wait, that could well be the plan.

Part of me wants to shake my head and wonder how it got to this. But another part of me suspects this needed to happen. Just like the recession we had to have in the 90s, I believe this government is the backwards step we had to have. Only once this government gets all the stupidness and backwardness out in the open, can we finally deal with it all and move forward as a modern society into the future.

Otherwise we'll be stuck as a nation that used be the Lucky Country, due to a boom in resource prices, but we never rose to the plate to be the Resourceful Country, and finally got left behind the rest of the world.

I find it pathetic the people whinging about the "broken lies", just looking at the first two, people are really clutching at straws to try and justify their anti-abbott tears.
  1. Spend a week in a indigenous community - he spent 4 days instead of 7 and had to leave due to issues in Iraq, indigenous were still happy yet people still use this against him (http://www.news.com.au/national/ton...o-deal-with-iraq/story-fncynjr2-1227060787104)
  2. Vessel to monitor whaling - They sent a plane instead, it would have been cheaper and most likely, more efficient.

Fact is, and part of the reason why he is currently PM is there is currently no competition whatsoever. People cry about Liberals but there is unfortunately no other real option at the moment.

This thread is much a joke. The LNP has no understanding when it comes to life whatsoever. Perhaps training more priests in a "budget crisis" is the conservative answer

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au...-undid-his-protege-tony-abbott/14189940001389

Interesting article.

But it's telling me we are in trouble and need to fix things. So lets let the Libs have a go at fixing? Also it's full of "I told you so" hindsite. Yeah, we should have done this and done that 10 years ago. Everyone knows what we should have done 10 years ago with hindsite. The reality is that with the huge income revenues at the time, if any government, labor or Libs had of not cut taxes and had of put billions of dollars away due to the minerals and energy boom, [and they were both in power during the boom] then most people would have been whinging at the time about the lack of spending. The money has to come from somewhere. At least the Libs paid off the debt and left Kevin with a huge surplus to spend.

See ya's.

Interesting article.

But it's telling me we are in trouble and need to fix things. So lets let the Libs have a go at fixing?

See ya's.

I think most folks are more upset at where the cuts are being made and who is bearing the brunt of the solution that the libs are proposing, rather than opposing the need for someone to have a go at fixing a sizeable structural debt problem.

Just as an example, looking at Glencore's operations in Australia, you have to wonder why a government representing ordinary Australian's doesn't take action to plug what is obviously a very leaky corporate tax system. Meanwhile, Government seems happy to try and make relatively meagre savings in health and welfare spending for a world of political pain. Can't really see the sense in it.

Back