Where to from here (Business)

No, but I do take PayPal. You're the first person that's asked about Credit Cards.
Crickey.......No credit cards & must use PayPal.
I wouldn't use it...........but that could be just me. I hate them.

I just tried to go through your checkout to see what happens.
Confirmed to myself I wouldn't buy from such a site if I didn't have PayPal - and probably wouldn't use direct deposit either. Why should a customer be forced to create an account with PP? This would mean I'm a lost customer :(

I see you must be using express checkout - Think I was using website payments (not pro), which a couple years back seemed free (I thought) - now they're charging $25 pm & changed name to pro?

Could customise the experience & take cards without joining PP if the customer wanted.

Do you have something like Google Analytics on your site?

Are you able to see how many abandoned carts you get?

If not, then it's worthwhile installing to see at what point your visitors are leaving the site. Not to mention heaps of other things.

I prefer Paypal because I'm not entering my credit card details into a site that I want to buy from, that may or may not be dodgy. But I believe those not used to eBay will possibly not trust Paypal, whereas I've been using it for years and feel quite comfortable with it.

I think you need to offer both.

The problem with taking Credit Cards is that you have to set up a merchant account with the bank. The fees to do this are quite high & really not worthwhile unless there is a fair bit of sales going through.

Most, if not all, of my competitors don't take Credit Cards either.

I reckon you should keep the website. $70/month for hosting is really expensive. You can get it much cheaper. Check out crazydomains. I've got a few websites with them and I've had no issues what so ever. If you use a proper web devoloper, they can easily move the site for you. It is easy as.

I reckon you should keep the website. $70/month for hosting is really expensive. You can get it much cheaper. Check out crazydomains. I've got a few websites with them and I've had no issues what so ever. If you use a proper web devoloper, they can easily move the site for you. It is easy as.

Dont use crazy domains. No business worth their salt should be using them for an ecommerce site. I have had unimportant sites hosted with them in the past that have gone down for a week. Pathetic.

No credit card is a huge issue skater. Not everyone has paypal but they do have credit cards. I dont offer paypal for my stores because it attracts scammers. Its way too easy for people to file a claim against you.

For marketing you should have a good look at Facebook. Run some ads targeting people into skating, build a following, engage them and then flog your wares.

Dont use crazy domains. No business worth their salt should be using them for an ecommerce site. I have had unimportant sites hosted with them in the past that have gone down for a week. Pathetic.

Here here. I am in the middle of changing all my websites to another host (DaveM's) as crazydomains are just terrible.

The problem with taking Credit Cards is that you have to set up a merchant account with the bank. The fees to do this are quite high & really not worthwhile unless there is a fair bit of sales going through.

Well, let me be blunt, if there are hardly any sales, your competitors dont have cc facility so they have hardly any sales either obviously, what sort of a business is it to really be in?

Skater - You don't have to set up a merchant account with a bank to take Credit Cards.

You can still use PayPal, just be upgrading to Website Payments Pro - as long as your site is compatible (which it should be). It will cost $25 pm plus the usual commish that they ripp off.

When volumes of transactions get higher, you can then change over to either something like eWay or directly to the banks.

I am with the group of "wouldn't buy if you don't take credit cards"

It might be totally silly, but I feel safer buying from a place taking cards.

The Y-man

You can still use PayPal, just be upgrading to Website Payments Pro - as long as your site is compatible (which it should be). It will cost $25 pm plus the usual commish that they ripp off.
Yes... Paypal has different plans. There is one with higher % of commission but no fixed fee. You can start with that.

Agree completely - keep your website going.

Do the hard yards (I know you will) to include C/C.

Here is a link for a Ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160833971767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Note his lead pic has the direct phone no etc in it and is prominent. You can do the same and included your www.

Although you seem to be saying that you are keeping you Ebay and WWW seperate to still try and get in with the Aust wholesalers?

Cheers

Hmm....I'm not sure how to do that.
You will probably need to apply to PayPal for the appropriate account type (not hard).

From what I can tell, your website provider (thewebshowroom?) should then be able to help as it looks like they have it integrated into your site.

Maybe check with them first to make sure.

Well, let me be blunt, if there are hardly any sales, your competitors dont have cc facility so they have hardly any sales either obviously, what sort of a business is it to really be in?

Actually, my competitors have heaps of sales.

These are my main competitors:
http://www.rollerderbygear.com.au/
http://sydneyderbyskates.com/shop/
http://derbyskates.com.au/

All these guys sell is stuff for Roller Derby. I took a different approach & I stock all kinds of skates. Like the other sellers, I originally was stocking mostly adult stuff, but I have found that I have a large market in kiddies stuff.

Hmm.....maybe I should get rid of all the derby stuff on the website & just concentrate on the cheaper stuff. Afterall, that does seem to be what I am selling the most of. AND it gives me a niche market.

Keep the website. Even if you sell entirely on ebay, having a pro website and online store gives a big tick to buyers that you are not an ebay scammer.

It may not sell stuff but it adds credibility, and online stores are all about trust and credibility.

Totally agree

Having a credit card option is nice but people refusing to use PP need to get with the times but of course thats a change issue, people just dont like new things even though its been around for a while now.

Hmm.....maybe I should get rid of all the derby stuff on the website & just concentrate on the cheaper stuff. Afterall, that does seem to be what I am selling the most of. AND it gives me a niche market.
Before you do that....do you know why you are not selling?

I mentioned earlier about stuff like Google Analytics.
I mentioned it coz it can tell you really helpful stuff. If you don't have it or something like it from you web provider, then I would suggest installing & using to get more info to base your decisions on (like the one you just suggested).

It will show you stats about your visitors - all very important.

Such as:-

How many visitors do you get?
Where are they from? Which state or country?
Did they come via a referral from another site link?
What is the initial landing page?
How many pages do the visit? and which ones?
How long do they stay?
Which page do they leave from?
Do they check out your contact page (perhaps looking for a phone number)?
Do they leave via the checkout page (abandoned cart)?

I could think up heaps of other things. All these and much more could show you what may (or may not) need to be fixed up or fine tuned.

Hmm....I'm not sure how to do that.

You already have that option. Your customers can pay by credit card through paypal without signing up for a paypal account.
When they lob onto the paypal website they have two options

*Pay with my PayPal account

*Pay with a credit or debit card
(Optional) Sign up to PayPal to make your next checkout faster'

Perhaps add a note to your website so that customers are aware of the ability to pay by credit card through paypal.

Back