House 2 value =190K
House 3 value = 120k

Total Value = 520K

Rent House 1 = 450 P/W
rent house 2 = 160 P/W
rent house 3 = !55 P/w

Total rent per week = $765 P/W

Wages = @850 per week (after tax) 67K P/A

Total weekly income = $1615 per week (after tax)
I get a yearly tax return of around 10K.

Outgoings are as follows:
$612 per week for mortgage (480K loan )
$50 per week board
$50 per week car expenses.

Options I have thought of :

1) Demolish and subdivide house 2
40K for site costs (subdivision, demolition, clearing)
200K building costs (100K for each house).

Benefits are as follows :
@300 P/W times 2 = $600 per week - $165 I already get = $435
For a $240K outlay I could conservitively get a return of around 9% (I think).
The downside of this is the stress of dealing with builders/Contractors and of coarse local councils, along with the uncertainty of when it gets finished etc.

Option 2 : Buy another House
I may be buying at the top of the cycle, but at least I will get the next wave in whenever that may be.

Option 3 : Do nothing, this currently seems a pretty easy thing to do (sorry this is called debt reduction).

Any views on what other people would do would be helpful, along with any ideas as to wether the bank would even say yes to loaning me any more money.
Whenever anyone says rent reliant I start breaking out into cold sweats. I don't mind banks giving me straight figures to deal with, its pretty black and white, but when you jump through all the hoops and then get told that you are to rent reliant it is soul destroying, I really dislike invisible misterious lines that you are not told about until you have crossed them.
From someone that knows, do my finances look resonably solid, or should I be looking to pay some of my debt off, before embarking on any other projects, also could I be a candidate for rent reliance again, and is there some sort of formulae that banks use for it.
Regards Adam

Well I get a total value of $650K (320+190+120), with borrowings of $480K. About 75% LVR. Seems like a nice safe value to me.

If you want to stay under 80% LVR to avoid mortage insurance, you've only got about $30K-$40K of equity to play with to come up with your next "deposit" for a new IP (minus costs). That's a $150-200K house/unit max.

Kevin.

Hi Kev,

You sound like you know what your doing! A Newbie cant be too carefull these days with who's offering advice & their qualifications & experience to do so.

On behalf of all us newbies out there, how many Ip do you hold sole interests in & how long have you had them?

"Outgoings are as follows:
$612 per week for mortgage (480K loan )
$50 per week board
$50 per week car expenses."

Shouldn't you include Council Rates, Water Rates, ES Levy, Management Fees and Land Tax if appliciable in your outgoings?

bundy

Hello
I never really was very good with maths, its actually 650K. I do want to stay below the 80% mark.
The reason I didn't add in all the other outgoings is I forgot, I try to stick to the 30% of my rental income, as that is pretty acurate for me.
Does anyone think the subdivision idea is a bad idea, has anyone had bad experiences, or good experiences from dividing a block into 2. I like to take the worse case scenario when dealing with finance, as I do not want to be caught short. I would hope to stay below the 80% LVR by taking into account the future value of the 2 stand alone properties.
Regards Adam

Dear Rixter,

With regards to Kevmeister's experience just take a look at his post here.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=30614#post30614

I too am all about "Do you practice what you teach?". However at the same time do we want to discourage Kev from posting?

It is a fine balance, at the same time Kevin must recognise the responsibility in giving people advice that they may act on and also readers must do their own due diligence with regards to posts.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Adam

With me this has allways been a difficult question for the same reasons you have mentioned 'all the hassles etc' which in the end takes your time away from other investments.

In regard to the next wave, that is a long time in comming 8-12 years, so if you are to buy soon then the figures have to stack up to carry you for that time.

Personally I have always practised debt reduction or accummulation with a sharp eye out for the next deal.

By the way in your figures the current rent is $160 the new place is $300 this would seem a big jump for a property in the same location. Maybe there is room for improvement with the current property a spend of a couple of K may improve the current rent.

Cheers

Rixter:

I think Sunstone's reference to a previous post sums up my *experience*. It does not necessarily sum up my intelligence, or my ability to provide an opinion.

Advice is often about giving opinions so by their nature they are subjective. You can ask an accountant or a lawyer what the law is, questions like that may be fairly black-and-white, but someone here has asked for an opinion.

Nonetheless, opinions as they may be, I do not hold an attitude of "do as I say, not as I do". It means I try and put myself in the other person's shoes and give an opinion on what I might do. Most of the time, that's all any of us can do.

For example, recently I posted a question about Risk Management in regards to residential property. The question was how much of a contingency plan should one have in respect of vacancies etc. I think someone suggested they would not feel comfortable if they couldn't support a 3 month vacancy. It's not a right or a wrong answer, but it gave me a point of view.

I agree with Sunstone that readers (that includes me - as I have gained immensely from this forum) still have to do their own due diligence, and decide/act on what is right for them, and contributors also need to be careful with the advice they give.

Kevin.

Hello HandyAndy
Thanks for the reply. I have just come out of a major renovation, and am now very protective of my own time, and am very aware of the stresses involved, so am quite hesitant about embarking on another major project.
I sometimes think that less knowledge is better. I bought my first rental at 19 when I thought a property cycle was some sort of fitness device.
I am now 28 and there is not alot in general investement realestate that is knew to me, as Ive read all the books and done it three times. Along the way making lots of little mistakes (through sheer luck no major ones). What does all this knowledge do, it makes me very cautious, which makes me think too much knowledge could be a bad thing.
Its so much harder when you have something to loose. If I make the wrong decision now I could loose all of my properties, back when I was 19 the most the banks could do was reposess my 3 cylinder suzuiki hatch, so it was much easier.

Hi Kev,

For give me if i am wrong but can you please quote me as to where I was questioning your *Intelligence*? It was purely yours & other posters *Experience* that I was questioning on behalf of all us newbies :)

Hi Rixter,

I know you did not question my intelligence, just my experience. The point I was making is that *experience* is not the only attribute that enables a person to express an opinion, and that opinion can still be valuable or worthwhile nonetheless.

In other words, it is not *mandatory* that a person own 10 investment properties in order to necessarily give such an opinion. Some of the advice I have received on this forum has been from people who, like me, are newbies, also learning.

At the end of the day, most of what appears on this forum is an opinion and should be treated as such.

No one has a monopoly on good ideas.

As a side issue, I would feel like I was "sponging" off this forum if I posted loads of questions and did not contribute answers occasionally. Even the most inexperienced person often has something worthwhile to share.

Cheers

Kevin.

Back