Where to go in Europe?

Hi guys

Our family (mum, dad and two little ones - 7 and 1) are thinking about going to Europe in July and have two weeks that need to be filled - we're thinking about a one week stint in two different locations.

We're keen on a sun/beach type holiday. We've been to some of the islands in Croatia before and loved them. We also loved Montenegro. So something similar would be ideal.

The Amalfi coast is another place we'd love to visit - we've never been further south than Rome.

We're not keen on party places like Ibiza.

Basically - we're just keen to relax, eat nice food and drink wine (mum and dad that is) :)

Any ideas for some locations would be great - we're open to anywhere.

Cheers

Jamie

Which airport are you flying out of?

A week in amalfi sounds good.. we loved it last time we were there..

we stayed in amlafi itself and hired a scooter for week.. one of the best time of life.

this is bit out of whack itinerary but can work well.

4 days Marrakesh Morocco
take a direct flight Marrakesh to pisa (Ryan air evening flight)
Stay pisa overnight.. check out pisa tower.. (only thing to do in pisa)
Catch bus to Florence
4 Days in Florence-tuscancy
catch at train to Florence to napels
do Naples for a day
and 5 days in amlafi coast.

4 days Marrakesh Morocco
take a direct flight Marrakesh to pisa (Ryan air evening flight)
Stay pisa overnight.. check out pisa tower.. (only thing to do in pisa)
Catch bus to Florence
4 Days in Florence-tuscancy
catch at train to Florence to napels
do Naples for a day
and 5 days in amlafi coast.

With a 7 year old and a 1 year old?

Thanks mflying.

We're prob going to fly into Frankfurt and staying with relatives in southern German for 10 days. We can then fly out of Basel via Easy Jet to lots of different places in Europe.

I love Marrakesh! We traveled around Morocco a while back. I mentioned it to my wife earlier this morning but she's not to keen on taking the kids there. I think our 7 year old would love it though!

The Tuscany to Amalfi idea sounds good.

Cheers

Jamie

Amalfi Coast would be nice. Some other ideas:
- French Riviera
- Greece (mainland and an island)
- Turkey (southern part such as Bodrum, Fethiye or Antalya, could combine with Istanbul if you like)

Hope you have a great trip :)

Two weeks glacial skiing in Dachstein Austria (oh you meant you and your kids).

Look at sailing the Dalmatian coast, Sardenia or settling in around Cinque Terre (It).

settling in around Cinque Terre (It).

Yep, we've been there and loved it. That's the sort of place we have in mind.

Sicily looks good MTR - I can get flights into Catania from Basel (where we're based for the trip).

Turkey is another one Cimbom. We only ever made it to Istanbul and a few towns north - we never made it down south so would love to check it out too.

Too many places!

Cheers

Jamie

We just did Turkey late last year with a 8 and 10 year old and would whole heartily recommend it.

The Turks absolutely adore children and English is spoken almost everywhere (not as much in the far eastern areas).

Added bonus is the exchange rate.

Take a look at Fez tours to get an idea but you could easily drive yourself outside of Istanbul. Something like:

http://www.feztravel.com/Aegean_Express_Tour.asp

add a few days at the end at one of their Aegean Beach resorts.

Just a note. Many European hotels do not have interconnecting rooms so always check with your travel agent to ensure that you can have one large room (often outside out Istanbul) or two adjoining rooms.

Hi.

My suggestion is Malta, Middle of Mediterranean,
Plenty of Sun, good wine and great restaurants. Plenty of history, everybody loves kids and very safe.

Emirates flys direct.

We went there in July 2013 (2 adults and 2 kids 10 and 7) and found it to be a beautiful island and being a former British colony- most people speak English

Cheers Mick

Thanks heaps for all the recommendation guys - I appreciate it.

We've locked in a trip to the Amalfi Coast for 11 nights - staying in a private rental just outside of Positano. We'll make day trips to other towns from there. Can't wait!

Cheers

Jamie

You have to take at least twice as much stuff, and you really can't keep moving around the same as with older kids and adults. Ideally you find a place to base yourself then do day trips.

Yeah that's what we thought too.

We're basically going to spend a month in two places - south-west Germany and the Amalfi. We'll do day trips from each.

We've also broken the trip up with a stop over in Saigon both ways.

Cheers

Jamie

Back