Where to invest in Adelaide?

Hi all,

I'm a long term property investor and developer. I have properties in Victoria and Queensland. Melbourne market has been cooling, so I am now considering Adelaide. It will be great if the local property gurus can share experienced investing in Ade - where should I be looking at, the future prospects and things I should look out for?!

I'm interested in good growth potential, 2-3 bedroom houses with large pieces of land (~600sqm), under 350K.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kenny

my two pennies worth

Im from Sydney so not that qualified in the SA market but I'm just about to complete on a placve in Christies beach - hoping the area comes up in 5 years or so. Fingers crossed.

Im from Sydney so not that qualified in the SA market but I'm just about to complete on a placve in Christies beach - hoping the area comes up in 5 years or so. Fingers crossed.

Thanks hairyhouse.
I saw your other thread - why Christies Beach and what are the reasons behind the potential capital appreciation?

The way I weighed it up was that it was a reasonable yield 6 percent and a relatively low cost investment (under 250k) The place is very close to the beach and twenty minutes to glenelg and forty mins to the city.

If it doesnt gain much in value in the next five years I'm pretty confident it would get neutral to positvely geared quite quickly. Im looking for a buy and hold though and figure that in years to come surely it's got to go up, if it pays for itself then sweet.

It's a punt though and I'd strongly recommend doing more research - I've heard north Adelaide is a good bet as well.

Cheers

pete

The way I weighed it up was that it was a reasonable yield 6 percent and a relatively low cost investment (under 250k) The place is very close to the beach and twenty minutes to glenelg and forty mins to the city.

If it doesnt gain much in value in the next five years I'm pretty confident it would get neutral to positvely geared quite quickly. Im looking for a buy and hold though and figure that in years to come surely it's got to go up, if it pays for itself then sweet.

It's a punt though and I'd strongly recommend doing more research - I've heard north Adelaide is a good bet as well.

Cheers

pete

Under 250k in christies beach? Was it in christies beach or christies downs? Was it a house or unit?

Cheers

pete

Thanks Pete.
Sounds reasonable and logical - 250K is great value. I'll check out the location.
But ultimately, I'm looking for high capital growth, rental yield is secondary.

Seaford or Aldinga Beach. (just ask terry ryder)
There is a new electric rail line going in from city to seaford and plans for expressway road to be made 2 ways. Ten minutes further down the coast is Aldinga beach. Awesome beaches, close to mclaren vale wineries, 30min to victor harbour, growing area with new estates, would suit your budget.
Another option is Hindmarsh or Port Adelaide but alot more expensive. Plympton Park and surrounding suburbs are in the middle of city and glenelg(beach) great place for investing.

Might have years ago but nope its all bitumen. You can drive on Aldinga beach though (at the moment anyhow)

Can I ask what rent you get for that?

Rent for the Christies Unit is $220pw. Needs a light reguvination and a rental review soon too.

Haha no! Whilst there are a couple of dirt roads around Myponga, Main South Rd has been bitumen since as far back as I can remember all the way to Yankalilla etc!
So Terry has earmarked Aldinga huh? Hmmm... our investment eggs are in the Aldinga basket so I sure hope he's right! - Whilst the roads into Aldinga are bitumen, they sure could use some fixing up! Worthy of note to the would be investor, the local paper reports that the long awaited Macca's have finally submitted development plans to council.
Rail line to Aldinga expected circa 2018.

Thoughts on Adelaide

Hi.

I think the Aldinga Beach area is good, and own several there myself.
We live half an hour away. The rental returns are not bad, and there are plenty of houses for sale, especially at the moment!

Late 2010 the Onkaparinga Council of which Aldinga Beach is part, did a big
re-jig and rezoned sections of its suburbs. It has created activity nodes around the shopping precincts which are able to be a higher density of development. If I were you, I'd check this out before buying. It also means the houses outside the activity zones are now slightly harder to subdivide (e.g you could subdivide up to 8 metre frontages, and now it is 9, and hammerhead blocks have to be about 450 squ.m not the 300+ they were previously).

Personally, I prefer to get as close to the beach as possible, and Port Willunga adjacent is also good. Down by 'The Scrub', in front of the new Sunday Estate is probably the premium spot.

Other possible areas for the future I would suggest are Victor Harbor, Goolwa,
and suburbs around Port Adelaide such as Rosewater (still affordable).
If you are game to go further afield, we have just bought in Port Lincoln which currently has a bit of rental demand. I think Port Augusta could be good too. The whole Eyre Peninsula has some mining activity at present.

Regards, U.

Hi all,

I'm a long term property investor and developer. I have properties in Victoria and Queensland. Melbourne market has been cooling, so I am now considering Adelaide. It will be great if the local property gurus can share experienced investing in Ade - where should I be looking at, the future prospects and things I should look out for?!

I'm interested in good growth potential, 2-3 bedroom houses with large pieces of land (~600sqm), under 350K.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kenny

The entire area from Christies Beach down to Aldinga is slated for very stong CG in the medium term, + good and rising yields now to help with holding costs.

Have a look at the Onkaparinga council website. Very progressive council with lots of fantasitc plans, along with plenty of gov't funding. Recently expanded dual lane Hwy into Ade. Electrification of rail and Seaford extension, re-dev of the Norlunga Shopping precinct.

The best part for me though is the new zoning laws with no minimum block size! Ade have 25% city and 75% rural, and to preserve this they have land locked current area and are strongly encouraging development of medium density housing, particularly around the transport corridors.

Throw in affordabaility issues in the city and an enormous number of downsizing sea changing baby boomers, and you have a very attractive place to invest.

I just bought a property in Christies Beach for $245,000. This is on an 700sqm block with a clean title (no easements etc), within 5 min walk of beach, 1 min walk to primary school 3 min walk to supermarket and a 5 min drive to Noarlunga Centre. With a small amount of work on the current property ie approx 10k - with all work contracted out ie: me not lifting a finger, i am confident i can rent this out for between $290-310 per week. In around 5 years time, i plan on building 2 x 3 bed, 2 story townhouses on the block, both of which will have sea views.

This sort of price doesnt come up often, and I was very lucky but I did a huge amount of research and worked hard to find it. I would suggest you go in there with a 280-350 budget and you'll get something on a good block with loads of potential. Given I was looking so recently, I can assure you that there are still some excellent investment opportunities down there.

Be prepared to research though as there are quite a few less-desirable areas/streets to avoid. If you are not keen to put in the hours and are interested in a buyers agent PM me as I know an excellent one.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
The entire area from Christies Beach down to Aldinga is slated for very stong CG in the medium term, + good and rising yields now to help with holding costs.

Have a look at the Onkaparinga council website. Very progressive council with lots of fantasitc plans, along with plenty of gov't funding. Recently expanded dual lane Hwy into Ade. Electrification of rail and Seaford extension, re-dev of the Norlunga Shopping precinct.

The best part for me though is the new zoning laws with no minimum block size! Ade have 25% city and 75% rural, and to preserve this they have land locked current area and are strongly encouraging development of medium density housing, particularly around the transport corridors.

Throw in affordabaility issues in the city and an enormous number of downsizing sea changing baby boomers, and you have a very attractive place to invest.

I just bought a property in Christies Beach for $245,000. This is on an 700sqm block with a clean title (no easements etc), within 5 min walk of beach, 1 min walk to primary school 3 min walk to supermarket and a 5 min drive to Noarlunga Centre. With a small amount of work on the current property ie approx 10k - with all work contracted out ie: me not lifting a finger, i am confident i can rent this out for between $290-310 per week. In around 5 years time, i plan on building 2 x 3 bed, 2 story townhouses on the block, both of which will have sea views.

This sort of price doesnt come up often, and I was very lucky but I did a huge amount of research and worked hard to find it. I would suggest you go in there with a 280-350 budget and you'll get something on a good block with loads of potential. Given I was looking so recently, I can assure you that there are still some excellent investment opportunities down there.

Be prepared to research though as there are quite a few less-desirable areas/streets to avoid. If you are not keen to put in the hours and are interested in a buyers agent PM me as I know an excellent one.

Good luck with your search!

This is all great isn't it SS!

Just reading that makes me wanna grab another one :D

Note to self - Must stick to the plan ;)

Jack

Have looked at ANDREWS FARM when browsing the wide world of web, but then again don't have an intimate knowldge of Adelaide

Xenia maybe able to offer some insight, as with other S.A Investors

Andrews Farm, Munno Para West, Playford Alive. They're all the same thing. Though playford alive is new, better location, cheaper and looks darn nice.

Also, those areas are a 5 minute drive from the Elizabeth's, Davoren Park etc. Essentially what almost everyone has been talking about lately when talking about Adelaide, with the exception of Christies beach and the like. But who cares about South. :)

Back