Where to not buy

Agree with all the above but I am going to add some locations where not to buy at this point in the cycle
Preparing to duck for cover
Gladstone
Emerald
Burnie
Devonport
Chinchilla
Broome
Port Headland
Karratha
Broken Hill
Taree
Whyalla
Darwin
Hunter Valley excluding Newcastle
Whyalla
caution required in Sydney and Perth
I'm not saying that good counter cyclical buys in these locations are not possible but better opportunities elsewhere IMHO
Interested if people can add to this or provide an argument why some of these might be a good location to buy

Some bargains to be had in emerald at the moment

I think it will pick back up out there in a few years it is still the main hub for many small towns.

Add Moree to that too, Moree in far NSW is going through an ice epidemic and there are many vacant houses.
The town has a tourism sphere to it with the hot springs but is known as a high crime town.

I always thought Broken Hill was a good town to buy in, mind you the growth has already occurred over the last 10 years.

As for the NSW Hunter Valley I do think towns such as Singleton still have some gain to make .
Not sure why Whyalla has made your list either.

The housing commish properties in Taree are now offered for around $150 k

in 2010, 11, 12 they were selling at auction for around $80 -90k. Not bad growth. Renting for $200 - $250 pw which is quite high. They are a buy and forget investment.

Westside of Taree is the best and near the hospital I reckon

I'll add to this:
  • No population growth
  • High vacancy
  • Sydney
  • Lease holds

Why is that Sydney CBD is not a good investment ?
I've seen some old Studio apartment advertised from under $600k recently

it is surely a great option for a Cashflow Positive IP.

CMIIW ?

The housing commish properties in Taree are now offered for around $150 k

in 2010, 11, 12 they were selling at auction for around $80 -90k. Not bad growth. Renting for $200 - $250 pw which is quite high. They are a buy and forget investment.

Westside of Taree is the best and near the hospital I reckon
Thats interesting Coastal, does that also apply to non HC stock?

Non Housing stock looks to have not moved that much.

First National used to auction these HC properties.

Normal prices may have been 100 - 120 possibly 90 - 100 k back then

Why is that Sydney CBD is not a good investment ?
I've seen some old Studio apartment advertised from under $600k recently

it is surely a great option for a Cashflow Positive IP.

CMIIW ?
How would it be cashflow pos?

Old and an apartment -
Very little depreciation,
Probably higher Body Corp costs (lifts, etc),
More maintenance
Rent yield sub 5% no doubt?

Maybe if you throw a couple of hundred thousand cash in as a deposit...

Old and an apartment -
More maintenance

Plus I'd get worried about its end of life. What do you do with it then? The problem with a place like this is that there are likely to be lots and lots of them, so if the entire building is beyond it's economic useful life, there'll always be a couple of owners that will be stopping you from redeveloping and you could be stuck paying exuberant maintenance costs for comparatively little return.

And just to add to that, you'll find it much harder to borrow for a property like this than a freestanding house. Good luck with a 90%+ LVR loan.

Old and an apartment -
More maintenance

Plus I'd get worried about its end of life. What do you do with it then? The problem with a place like this is that there are likely to be lots and lots of them, so if the entire building is beyond it's economic useful life, there'll always be a couple of owners that will be stopping you from redeveloping and you could be stuck paying exuberant maintenance costs for comparatively little return.

And just to add to that, you'll find it much harder to borrow for a property like this than a freestanding house. Good luck with a 90%+ LVR loan.

Hm... you got me thinking this time :confused:

My initial reason is that this one bedroom apartment or Studio is very close near Central train station (CBD) so it is not a problem looking for tenant.

but yes, I appreciate your comments and input from you guys, it might be hard to find the financing for this type of IP by the banks.

Back