Where To Rent (Sydney)

Hi All,

Trying to help a friend who is moving to Sydney for work (Has just got a job working at a Restaurant at "The Rocks" so she is after something close to the CBD where she can either ride/walk/bus or somewhere close to the train line where she can use that..
Having never lived in Sydney I have no idea where to start looking..here is the list of criteria to help suggestions:
- 1 bedder apartment/unit/studio
- under 300 per week (this will be the killer, but we have seen a few)
- Trying not to go for something with communal facilities
- Doesn't need to be furnished

First thing we came up with was the following -
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-studio-nsw-surry+hills-415581931 - Any feedback on Surry Hills?

Personally, I'd recommend your friend be open to living a few train stops out of the city. I've lived in there for a period (Surry Hills, Darlinghurst etc). Nothing wrong with it at all - Surry Hills in particular is a buzzing place, there's awesome food and you can walk most places you need to be but bang for your buck, $300 will not get you much within 5km of the city. And it's kinda boring living too close to where you work, I think.

That studio, as you can see, is a bar fridge type of deal. Is your friend ok with that? If so, the only thing I would mention is that, unless things have changed or I'm mistaken, that studio has a number of brothels closeby. I used to work near there for a few years.

I'd recommend maybe looking at places along the Bankstown train line as it goes direct to Circular Quay which is right by The Rocks. Prices won't be much cheaper until you're past Erskinville though. Or if she's ok with buses (most of the Sydney folks I know hate them), something around Glebe/Camperdown area might suit as well. There should be plenty of options within her budget there.

Hi All,

Trying to help a friend who is moving to Sydney for work (Has just got a job working at a Restaurant at "The Rocks" so she is after something close to the CBD where she can either ride/walk/bus or somewhere close to the train line where she can use that..
Having never lived in Sydney I have no idea where to start looking..here is the list of criteria to help suggestions:
- 1 bedder apartment/unit/studio
- under 300 per week (this will be the killer, but we have seen a few)
- Trying not to go for something with communal facilities
- Doesn't need to be furnished

First thing we came up with was the following -
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-studio-nsw-surry+hills-415581931 - Any feedback on Surry Hills?

Surry Hills is a great area and very convenient to the city. It's a bit on the edgy/grungy side of town and like Richard says has the odd smattering of brothels. The property that you are looking at looks more to me like student accommodation and also says in the advertisement that it has "new bathrooms" - this does not necessarily mean that this apartment comes with its own bathroom. In fact I think it's more likely to have a shared bathroom.

Agree with the previous poster that Glebe may be worth looking at (I own a property there) - it's a bus ride to the city and has some less expensive pockets, the downside being that there is a bit of housing commission in one end of Glebe making it less desirable. It does have some beautiful terrace homes that have been converted to apartments and studios and has a very diverse demographic with a sort of artsy vibe.

For her price point, and a nice area - I would suggest Balmain or Balmain East. It is a ferry or bus ride to The Rocks.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-balmain-415251791

Would she be open to living in the 'burbs? She will get a bit more bang for her buck there but the travel will be longer.

vtt
:D

I have recently started working in Surry Hills. It has improved a lot in last 10 years time.
Seems like a convenient place with cheap food. I would rent here ☺

Ditto with what others have said.

Most of the people I know love Surry Hills and I used to work around there. There are lots of bars and good food as long as you know where to find them. The place is not my cup of tea as it's too close to the city, but my colleagues will disagree ;)

Finding a place for $300 is another question though. Your friend might need to consider housemates.

Got a friend paying $300 for a single room in a 7 room 3 storey terrace in surrey hills , so $300 for studio will be hard to find.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far, quick question, How late do the ferrys and buses in Sydney run at night? She is working as a chef so at times finishes around 1am

Thanks all for the suggestions so far, quick question, How late do the ferrys and buses in Sydney run at night? She is working as a chef so at times finishes around 1am

Buses will run until about 2 or 3pm I think, best check the transport NSW website. As for ferry I think it's a lot earlier.

The ferries usually finish around 11pm but buses finish much later like 3am depending on exactly where you're going.

Would she be open to a sharing arrangement? She may get a better place that way.

vtt
:D

Back