Which approvals reqd from Strata for renovation?

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a new PPOR, and intend to so a small reno immediately after settlement. It's a 2br unit in strata complex.

I want to know what reno tasks (if any) are allowed without notifying the strata manager and getting approval.

I think it would waste a lot of time getting approvals for things like paining walls, etc, if approval is not required for these types of small tasks.

I plan on doing the following:

**These are the tasks which I believe I WILL require strata approval:

-install wall-mounted A/C unit
-install safety-switch circuit breaker board (the unit currently has the older type of circuit board without safety switch

**Do I need permission from strata for the the following tasks:??

-install built-in wardrobes to both bedrooms
-install ceiling fans to both bedrooms
-replace old carpet in unit with new flooring (either bamboo or vinyl planks)
-install gyprock bulkheads with downlights to existing gyprock ceilings.
-install second phone socket in one of the bedrooms

I will really appreciate it if anyone know if I require starta permission to do the above reno works (or whether I can just do it without any written permission). What are the consequence of doing the above reno work without permission (fines?)

Is there a website that has this information?

Thanks!!

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a new PPOR, and intend to so a small reno immediately after settlement. It's a 2br unit in strata complex.

I want to know what reno tasks (if any) are allowed without notifying the strata manager and getting approval.

I think it would waste a lot of time getting approvals for things like paining walls, etc, if approval is not required for these types of small tasks.

I plan on doing the following:

**These are the tasks which I believe I WILL require strata approval:

-install wall-mounted A/C unit Needs Strata approval and may not be given if there are power issues or blanket agreement re noise in place.
-install safety-switch circuit breaker board (the unit currently has the older type of circuit board without safety switch Can do this using licensed lecy on the bases of a sub board without approval but will need access to main circuit for building so will need to obtain key from strata

**Do I need permission from strata for the the following tasks:??

-install built-in wardrobes to both bedrooms can do this without approval but good to inform
-install ceiling fans to both bedrooms can do this without approval but good to inform
-replace old carpet in unit with new flooring (either bamboo or vinyl planks) Do not do this without first discussing with strata and BC. Most if not all strata's have rules about hard floor coverings and noise transmission. They can and do make you rip them up again or relay carpet on to or rugs everywhere to the point that you may as well have left it with carpet.
-install gyprock bulkheads with downlights to existing gyprock ceilings. Can do this without permission but need to be aware that power run in the ceiling slab and if you damage any you will need to repair. Again inform the strata
-install second phone socket in one of the bedrooms Depends on what is required. If it's just a drill through the wall and a plate on the other side not an issue. If it is a rerun around the whole unit with lots of cutting and re-cementing then again keep strata informed.

I will really appreciate it if anyone know if I require starta permission to do the above reno works (or whether I can just do it without any written permission). What are the consequence of doing the above reno work without permission (fines?)

Is there a website that has this information?

Thanks!!

In all things renovating a unit you have things that run through your walls that belong to the units around you and if in renovating you damage these then you will be up for the repair costs.

I know of one guy who was drilling to install a false ceiling and drilled into the water pipe for the unit above. Cost him $1800 to get it fixed.:eek:

Even when you get permission it's still at your risk but at least no one can accuse you of unauthorized damage.

Cheers

Thanks HandyAndy. I didn´t know they can make you rip up the floor. I won´t risk it and get all the approvals for the reno. Thanks!

Back