Which are the best suburbs out of these

Would the canny here like to give some predictions and advice on 2-3 BR Units in these suburbs in Melbourne from point of view of which you think will give best Capital Growth and Yield prospects over next 5-10 years. ie: where would you buy this type of IP - or would you go elsewhere for the best potentials.

Bentleigh East
Moorabbin
Highett
Cheltenham
Mentone
Parkdale

Just be aware that not every property in an area increases in value at exactly the same rate.

Individual properties can out-perform or under-perform the suburb average.

Another "wild card" is the amount of renovation going on in an area. The percentage increases published are simply raw data, comparing selling prices from one period to another. They do not take into account the amount of renovations that may have occurred in the meantime, which is often part of the reason why some areas perform spectactularly.
Marg

thanks

I'd notice that the unrenovated tend to get dragged up by the renovated sales but hadn't made the actual connection. Thanks.

That's out of the range of area I'm interested in actually hence the question about these suburbs.

Any of them are good as long as you don't get anything on the major roads, and anything within a block of the Nepean.

Only other possible avoid is under the planes at Moorabin Airport.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks Y Man

Thanks - I'm tending toward the ckloser to beach suburbs more than inland overall. I'm assuming that distance to Beach can modify the distance to the CBD formula especially with regard to placement near Railway Statons - ie buy near them wherever you are.

My preference is Parkdale/Mentone. Near beach, station and good schools.

Having grown up in Mentone has had nothing to do with my input either. :)

I'm assuming that distance to Beach can modify the distance to the CBD formula .

Can also modify your maintenance formula - I swear the exterior metal, timber and paint work deteriorated a lot quicker in the unit I owned in Cheltenham than "further inland".

Cheers,

The Y-man

Would the canny here like to give some predictions and advice on 2-3 BR Units in these suburbs in Melbourne from point of view of which you think will give best Capital Growth and Yield prospects over next 5-10 years. ie: where would you buy this type of IP - or would you go elsewhere for the best potentials.

Bentleigh East
Moorabbin
Highett
Cheltenham
Mentone
Parkdale

Parts of these suburbs can be as important as the choice of suburb with regards desirability. Eg school zoning or 'bayside of highway'.

Bentleigh East - if it's in the McKinnon Secondary zone it's very good. Still OK if it's not. Bit remote from tranport but still handy to jobs at Chadstone & Southland. Bentleigh Station is last Zone 1 but buses are Zone 2.

Central Moorabbin is pretty much the area's 'dead spot', 'dumping ground' and 'traffic sewer'. The sort of place everyone drives past but gives a miss in favour of Southland, Bentleigh and even Highett.

Moorabbin is a failed local centre - anything big that opens there closes down or moves out (IKEA, local council, St Kilda Footy club), although there's the new court house on the way to Highett and Holmesglen TAFE to the east (which may help rental demand).

Moorabbin used to be a much bigger suburb, but Bentleigh, Bentleigh East and Hampton East have expanded as they're thought more desirable. Current plans are for a new housing commission deveopment there. Having said that there is nothing wrong with a house in a quiet pocket around there.

Highett - I like it. Nice (but small) shopping strip and near Southland. But bear in mind that like Moorabbin its trains are slow and infrequent compared to Mordialloc, Parkdale, Mentone or Cheltenham as expresses miss it.

Cheltenham/Mentone/Parkdale. All good but divided by railway line and highway. Areas east of the highway are much cheaper than the west and don't have the train and beach within walking distance. All have express trains to the city so travel time is quicker than Highett or Moorabbin.

The best housing in the area is found in Mentone bayside of the shops. Mentone has the best selection of private schools in the area and excellent public transport. Of all the areas mentioned Mentone has the best cafe vibe. The part of Mentone east of Warrigal Rd is probably OK but near Moorabbin airport - a plane crashed down there causing a near-miss a year or so back.

Parkdale is a bit like a mini-Mentone and again a very liveable suburb. Less schools, fewer shops but they're well kept and there's a public library there as well. Again I like it.

It's very easy to work out which are the best and not so good areas, but which will appreciate fastest is anyone's guess - the 'best' area may not necessarily appreciate fastest. Instead just buy somewhere that offers the best amenity for the dollars and don't pay too much.

As i mentioned a I like Mentone in preference to the other surburbs.

I bought a 2 bed unit in Brindisi St, Mentone in 1997 for $95k. Fitted a new kitchen, repaint and new heater over the years. Now worth around $400k.

Not sure what growth rate that is, but that was my first ever investment property purchase and its allowed me to finance three other properties. Two in Frankston and the other in Edithvale.

Parts of these suburbs can be as important as the choice of suburb with regards desirability. Eg school zoning or 'bayside of highway'.

Bentleigh East - if it's in the McKinnon Secondary zone it's very good. Still OK if it's not. Bit remote from tranport but still handy to jobs at Chadstone & Southland. Bentleigh Station is last Zone 1 but buses are Zone 2.

Central Moorabbin is pretty much the area's 'dead spot', 'dumping ground' and 'traffic sewer'. The sort of place everyone drives past but gives a miss in favour of Southland, Bentleigh and even Highett.

Moorabbin is a failed local centre - anything big that opens there closes down or moves out (IKEA, local council, St Kilda Footy club), although there's the new court house on the way to Highett and Holmesglen TAFE to the east (which may help rental demand).

Moorabbin used to be a much bigger suburb, but Bentleigh, Bentleigh East and Hampton East have expanded as they're thought more desirable. Current plans are for a new housing commission deveopment there. Having said that there is nothing wrong with a house in a quiet pocket around there.

Highett - I like it. Nice (but small) shopping strip and near Southland. But bear in mind that like Moorabbin its trains are slow and infrequent compared to Mordialloc, Parkdale, Mentone or Cheltenham as expresses miss it.

Cheltenham/Mentone/Parkdale. All good but divided by railway line and highway. Areas east of the highway are much cheaper than the west and don't have the train and beach within walking distance. All have express trains to the city so travel time is quicker than Highett or Moorabbin.

The best housing in the area is found in Mentone bayside of the shops. Mentone has the best selection of private schools in the area and excellent public transport. Of all the areas mentioned Mentone has the best cafe vibe. The part of Mentone east of Warrigal Rd is probably OK but near Moorabbin airport - a plane crashed down there causing a near-miss a year or so back.

Parkdale is a bit like a mini-Mentone and again a very liveable suburb. Less schools, fewer shops but they're well kept and there's a public library there as well. Again I like it.

It's very easy to work out which are the best and not so good areas, but which will appreciate fastest is anyone's guess - the 'best' area may not necessarily appreciate fastest. Instead just buy somewhere that offers the best amenity for the dollars and don't pay too much.

excellent post, would agree. Mentone has the biggest variation in prices ie. there is a big diff in price between balcome road, charman and warrigul to the beach, compared to the surrounding areas north of this. Also seems to be a tightly held area.

thanks

Wonderful Spiderman thank you and others for views. Now the diligence starts. I'm hoping the supposed Sept 30 FHOG cooling effect does occur, but at least I'm getting to memorise the Melways lol

Could you afford Brighton? just kidding, I used to live in Brighton (many moons ago, rent was $180 a week for 2 bedroom unit on the esplanade) and worked in Bentleigh East. Life was great and I loved the whole area truly.

Hmm probably not much help to you really, just remembering the good ol days...

Could you afford Brighton? just kidding, I used to live in Brighton (many moons ago, rent was $180 a week for 2 bedroom unit on the esplanade) and worked in Bentleigh East. Life was great and I loved the whole area truly.

Hmm probably not much help to you really, just remembering the good ol days...

So where are you dish?

Now I'm out North West way (rather not be too specific) but there's been a few moves in between including Port Macquarie and Newcastle.

You gotta know it was AGES ago, I'm talking 10-12 years ago here. That's the only reason it was affordable. I really didn't appreciate it at the time though, being young and all. Did make use of the beach a fair bit though. Great times.

Why do you ask, are you in the Brighton area? More importantly...

Do I know you? ;)

Back