Which Brisbane Suburbs?

Caboolture?

It's about 65km from Brisbane and full of ferals

Spend 400k in Redlands or redcliffe zilmere, bracken ridge, brighton,

Probably about 100 better options with a 5% yield

I own a house in North Lakes which is good to us but like everywhere else, the town itself has its good and its bad. It would probably depend on exactly WHERE this place is. I personally would stay away from the new areas in the north and stick to the older areas close to the college and the commercial precinct.

I own a house in North Lakes which is good to us but like everywhere else, the town itself has its good and its bad. It would probably depend on exactly WHERE this place is. I personally would stay away from the new areas in the north and stick to the older areas close to the college and the commercial precinct.
In which part of North lakes do u have the house? I was looking at a 4 bedroom house in NL with is currently rented for 420/wk. But then when I checked about the rentals in NL it seems like there are lot of 4 bedroom houses available for rent and the rent is quite less as compared to the house I was looking at.

I live in Brisbane north. Just my personal opinions:

Zillmere - although there has been improvement still needs a lot of work. Lot of housing commission types wandering around. Not an appealing suburb for owner occupiers. The suburb itself is unappealing, very old. Lots of new townhouses/units going up. Good transport links.

Caboolture - lots of dole bludgers/low socio economic area. You could probably get a cash flow positive place but have to deal with feral tenants. Quite a way from Brisbane but since your tenants probably wont work, not so much of an issue. There are some nicer areas (upper caboolture). Rail link to city. Town centre of caboolture very run down.

North Lakes - fairly long commute into the city (for Brisbane) about 1 hour in traffic but plenty of people do it. New/newish houses, the neighborhoods are nice and appealing, lakes, walkways, urban landscaping. North lakes Westfield, Costco, Ikea coming. A lot of my friends live there and love it. There are a LOT of houses though, and acres and acres of land cleared for more housing. The blocks are small with houses right on top of each other. New rail eventually will link to city.

Chermside: older suburb but much nicer than Zillmere. Quite a few very large apartment blocks going up closer to Westfield, lots of new townhouse developments, older and newer houses mixed together. Hospitals/ Westfield Chermside/ transport hub for bus.

Interesting that Ive noted a number of people commenting about suburb value and its distance to the coast. Not sure that people value that distance as much here in Brisbane (apart from direct sea views). Other Brisbanites may comment further on this.

Cheers, nat

Zillmere - although there has been improvement still needs a lot of work. Lot of housing commission types wandering around. Not an appealing suburb for owner occupiers. The suburb itself is unappealing, very old. Lots of new townhouses/units going up. Good transport links.

Chermside: older suburb but much nicer than Zillmere. Quite a few very large apartment blocks going up closer to Westfield, lots of new townhouse developments, older and newer houses mixed together. Hospitals/ Westfield Chermside/ transport hub for bus.

Cheers, nat

I agree with Nat about Chermside. It's a lot pricier than the other areas and of course a lot closer to Brisbane CBD although there are no rail links - very good bus options.

With Zillmere, there are the good and not so good parts. In those areas bordering Aspley, there are not the housing commission types wandering around with many family type homes available. I agree that there are a lot of townhouses and units going up in some areas. If anyone wants to buy house and land, hold long term, you'll do well. I believe that over time, the less desirables will be priced out of the area.

Hi All,

I'm located in Melb and looking for an IP in Brisbane. This thread has definately been very informative.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the suburb Bulimba QLD. I've notice there has been a slight decrease on the property price in the area.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I'm located in Melb and looking for an IP in Brisbane. This thread has definately been very informative.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the suburb Bulimba QLD. I've notice there has been a slight decrease on the property price in the area.

Thanks in advance.

It's one of the blue ribbon suburbs of Brisbane. Expect to pay big bucks!!

I live in Brisbane north. Just my personal opinions:

Caboolture - lots of dole bludgers/low socio economic area. You could probably get a cash flow positive place but have to deal with feral tenants. Quite a way from Brisbane but since your tenants probably wont work, not so much of an issue. There are some nicer areas (upper caboolture). Rail link to city. Town centre of caboolture very run down.

North Lakes - fairly long commute into the city (for Brisbane) about 1 hour in traffic but plenty of people do it. New/newish houses, the neighborhoods are nice and appealing, lakes, walkways, urban landscaping. North lakes Westfield, Costco, Ikea coming. A lot of my friends live there and love it. There are a LOT of houses though, and acres and acres of land cleared for more housing. The blocks are small with houses right on top of each other. New rail eventually will link to city.

Interesting that Ive noted a number of people commenting about suburb value and its distance to the coast. Not sure that people value that distance as much here in Brisbane (apart from direct sea views). Other Brisbanites may comment further on this.

Cheers, nat

Well 30/ 40 years ago a lot of bayside suburbs in melbourne wernt exactly that valued by the general population. I think as density increases people look more to the coast as it's something different to your run of the mill densely populated suburbs close to the cbd

I think you could say the same for Sydney's northern beaches?

I expect the same will happen in brisbane

Well 30/ 40 years ago a lot of bayside suburbs in melbourne wernt exactly that valued by the general population. I think as density increases people look more to the coast as it's something different to your run of the mill densely populated suburbs close to the cbd

I think you could say the same for Sydney's northern beaches?

I expect the same will happen in brisbane

That would point to Lota/Manly and Wynnum having a big run some day then, maybe next boom.

As for Bullimba it is awesome, people want to be there is probably the best suburb on the southside.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

That is my neck of the words.

I am president of the football club there and we actually have the lease over the whole park that is on the main street (and kindly let the public have informal use of it).

Great cinema and restaurants.

Great primary school and kindergarden

Pricey for a reason.

Only downside. If you need to drive to the CBD in peak hour, getting out along the 2 roads is painful.

Hawthorne is another one to consider without the price tag of Bulimba. I used to live in Hawthorne and the convenience is second to none. Easy to catch the city cat to the city or stroll down to oxford street for meals.

In which part of North lakes do u have the house? I was looking at a 4 bedroom house in NL with is currently rented for 420/wk. But then when I checked about the rentals in NL it seems like there are lot of 4 bedroom houses available for rent and the rent is quite less as compared to the house I was looking at.

Our house is a larger 4/2/2 on 650m2 , one klm from the commercial centre and the state college and 500 mtrs to the private college. It is off Devonport St. We get $470 a week.

The cheaper houses are tiny, on tiny blocks of land and more like three or four klms from the shopping centre. There is a primary school (over-crowded) and a small shopping centre up the northern end, but they are "new estate" ugly, a dusty construction site. They are cheaper for a reason. I regularly check the current rental prices by searching for houses on large blocks of land, then check the map to see where they are located. You can also tell from the photos how tiny the houses and blocks are by how close the house is to the side fences. I allow pets which is uncommon.

Would you like to PM me the link to the house you are considering and I can comment in private?

I still like Everton Park and Albany Creek, even without our own train line. previously I have said that McDowell and Bridgeman Downs are a bit too far away from the express buses, but Hubby says they are fine.

That is my neck of the words.

I am president of the football club there and we actually have the lease over the whole park that is on the main street (and kindly let the public have informal use of it).

Great cinema and restaurants.

Great primary school and kindergarden

Pricey for a reason.

Only downside. If you need to drive to the CBD in peak hour, getting out along the 2 roads is painful.

La Quinta...

That would point to Lota/Manly and Wynnum having a big run some day then, maybe next boom.

As for Bullimba it is awesome, people want to be there is probably the best suburb on the southside.

Yeah it's already had a run you could say

Will go up with the rest of the more inner city suburbs I would think.

I was telling my mum and dad manly was a nice place the other day (go there for sailing) Mum reckoned it was a hole
They hadn't been there since 1978 though

Back