Which business software should we get?

Hi all, I'm after some advice. We have a small handyman-plumbing business and have been using the ATO's e-Record software for the past two and a half years (I'm a notorious tightwad and it was free:D. The accountant grizzles about it every year). Anyhoo, I got an email from the ATO saying they're not going to put out anymore updates and that it will not be guaranteed as up to date after June 30.
So it looks as though we're going to have to fork out for something after all. I'm after recommendations. Is MYOB really the best way to go? And what's that going to cost? Or are there other alternatives?
TIA:)

Thanks Rob, that sounds better than I was expecting - I thought we might be up for $1000 or so. $200 I can cope with. And, following that link, it even promises that we'll get paid on time - a bargain at twice the price!:D
I probably won't start using it till the end of the financial year, so I'm not sure how soon we'll need to buy it. It might be something that can wait till June.

We use Quick books and have been very happy with it. Their basic setup is $29.95 but limits to 20 customers - so probably not an option for a plumbing business. The next step up is basically what we use and costs $149.00. They do have an online trial version. http://home.quicken.com.au/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pcode=22&pcatid=10

For ease of keeping the accountant happy, ask what their preference is - MYOB or Quick books? I think the features and pricing between both is going to be very similar, so you might as well go for something that will keep the accountant happy.

Cheers
Buddybee

For ease of keeping the accountant happy, ask what their preference is - MYOB or Quick books? I think the features and pricing between both is going to be very similar, so you might as well go for something that will keep the accountant happy.

That's a good idea actually. He moans every year about how he's had to download e-Record and how clunky it is. Bought him a nice bottle of wine last Christmas to help him get over it;)
I'll drop him an email - he'll probably be overjoyed to hear e-Record is being ditched.

Back