Which design do you prefer?

Hey Guys,

My architect has come back with 2 different designs for the ground floor. l would appreciate some advice on the following:

Option 1. The laundry is in the garage, allowing for a bigger walk in wardrobe.

Option 2. The laundry is under the stairs and there is storage space is in the garage. Note that this design eats into the walk in wardrobe.

I have also attached the layout for upstairs which i am pretty happy with.

Any other recommendations are welcome!

Cheers,

Derrick

Attachments

• Option 1.PNG
    Option 1.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 277
  • Option 2.PNG
    Option 2.PNG
    63.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Upstairs.PNG
    Upstairs.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Hi Derrick, nice work.

Option 2.

Personally, I absolutely hate (harsh word I know, maybe despise is better) the laundry in garage concept, I make sure anything I get built does not have this in it's design. It seems to be more prevalent in QLD H&L, especially when marketers are flogging them like crazy.

Nice layouts though, well done.
:D

No upstairs layout (unless I'm going a bit mad :p).

We've been told laundry in garage is okay, but chose instead for our townhouse plans to have the laundries put euro style under the stairs. I am not sure the linen cupboard in the garage is ideal. Where was it before?

Edit: Just noticed it was under the stairs.

I would go for the laundry in the garage unless you can relocate the linen cupboard. Having the linen in a garage is weird. And the tiny wardrobe looks inadequate for a main bedroom.

A laundry in a garage may be not the best place, but preferable to a much smaller main wardrobe and the linen in the garage. Option 1 has one negative, option2 has two.
Marg

Option one. I'm a big fan of Laundry in the garage. You don't need a whole room for a Laundry when every sqm is at a premium best used on extra living space. And besides it's all hidden behind folding doors anyway.

Hi Derrick, nice work.

Option 2.

Personally, I absolutely hate (harsh word I know, maybe despise is better) the laundry in garage concept, I make sure anything I get built does not have this in it's design. It seems to be more prevalent in QLD H&L, especially when marketers are flogging them like crazy.

Nice layouts though, well done.
:D

Thanks Investig8. What are the reasons why you dislike laundry in the garage? My concern of having it indoors under the stairs is that to hang your clothes you would have to go through 2 seperate doors.

No upstairs layout (unless I'm going a bit mad :p).

We've been told laundry in garage is okay, but chose instead for our townhouse plans to have the laundries put euro style under the stairs. I am not sure the linen cupboard in the garage is ideal. Where was it before?

Edit: Just noticed it was under the stairs.

I would go for the laundry in the garage unless you can relocate the linen cupboard. Having the linen in a garage is weird. And the tiny wardrobe looks inadequate for a main bedroom.

A laundry in a garage may be not the best place, but preferable to a much smaller main wardrobe and the linen in the garage. Option 1 has one negative, option2 has two.
Marg

Thanks wylie/marg4000, I guess it doesnt have to be used a linen cupboard but instead extra storage and linen can be stored within the laundry some how.

Also my apologies wylie I attached the wrong image. Should be up now.

Could you put the laundry in the ensuite and ditch the ensuite basin? Get a nice basin/trough and under bench machine.

Thanks Jess, i may not be following properly but do you suggest access to the laundry by going through 4 doors? (from ensuite to backyard)

Where is this going Derrick?

I have mixed feelings about the laundry in the garage but it is more normal in certain states, ie Queensland.

This is a very very small house. What will make it work is smart effective use of space.

What are the dimensions of Bed 1? it looks quite large? As I can see the the setback to the bathroom is 1m and the room therefore appears to be at least 4m x 3m

If you go with option 2 I wouldn't bother putting the linen in the garage, I would use that space to increase the size of the ensuite.

Just moved in to a place which has the laundry in the garage, also has a fold down clothes line in the garage. Absolutely love it especially with the crappy Melbourne weather, clothes dry really well and can always put a fan on if need a bit more air circulation. Also definitely want to maximise the size of the walk in robe if I were you.

Also I am guessing you have to have that tiny outdoor space on the ground level to satisfy council requirements of OOS? Such a useless area that will never get used. We have similar in our 2 bed townhouse currently renting (which is a really crappy design) and there is zero reason (I guess maybe clothes line?) that a space like that will get used.

Also I am guessing you have to have that tiny outdoor space on the ground level to satisfy council requirements of OOS? Such a useless area that will never get used. We have similar in our 2 bed townhouse currently renting (which is a really crappy design) and there is zero reason (I guess maybe clothes line?) that a space like that will get used.

I suspect the balcony is their technical OOS and the small area down the bottom is to give windows and ventilation to the bedroom and ensuite.

It will also make a good washing line area.

I have looked at your plan several times in an effort to move the kitchen into the living/dining/deck area, but I'm stumped.

The kitchen looks very small. Why is the study downstairs not a bedroom?

Could you move the upstairs bedroom to the "meals" area, turn the kitchen into the ensuite, and then open up the other end completely to kitchen/living/dining out onto the deck?

Where is this going Derrick?

I have mixed feelings about the laundry in the garage but it is more normal in certain states, ie Queensland.

This is a very very small house. What will make it work is smart effective use of space.

What are the dimensions of Bed 1? it looks quite large? As I can see the the setback to the bathroom is 1m and the room therefore appears to be at least 4m x 3m

If you go with option 2 I wouldn't bother putting the linen in the garage, I would use that space to increase the size of the ensuite.

Hi Westminster, Thanks for your response and suggestions.

The development is located in the west side of Melbourne. Yes I agree that it is very small; approximately 130 sqm inc the garage. The idea is to fit 6 of these on 740 sqm block of land. Do you think that it is too small?

Bedroom 1 is roughly 3.1m x 3.9 m

Yes if i go with Option 2 i would either increase the side of the ensuite or have it as a storage space. Given that the study is so big, a cupboard could be installed for linen and or storage.

Just moved in to a place which has the laundry in the garage, also has a fold down clothes line in the garage. Absolutely love it especially with the crappy Melbourne weather, clothes dry really well and can always put a fan on if need a bit more air circulation. Also definitely want to maximise the size of the walk in robe if I were you.

I suspect the balcony is their technical OOS and the small area down the bottom is to give windows and ventilation to the bedroom and ensuite.

It will also make a good washing line area.

Thanks SamL. Does your place have a single garage?

Westmister is correct. Even though the balcony can be considered part of the OOS, there still needs to be room for ventilation, bins, washing line etc.

I have looked at your plan several times in an effort to move the kitchen into the living/dining/deck area, but I'm stumped.

The kitchen looks very small. Why is the study downstairs not a bedroom?

Could you move the upstairs bedroom to the "meals" area, turn the kitchen into the ensuite, and then open up the other end completely to kitchen/living/dining out onto the deck?

Hi Wylie, thanks for your response.

I assume that there are minimum lengths and widths for a bedroom hence why the study cannot be converted.

I like your idea but i wanted to make sure the bathroom was accessible for guest given that there is no access to a toilet downstairs without going through the bedroom. I realise that there is not much space therefore every cm counts!

Back