Which design do you prefer?

Hi Westminster, Thanks for your response and suggestions.

The development is located in the west side of Melbourne. Yes I agree that it is very small; approximately 130 sqm inc the garage. The idea is to fit 6 of these on 740 sqm block of land. Do you think that it is too small?

This is a question fir someone who knows the local market well.

You may do just as well by putting 5 decent sized units on the block rather than 6 small ones. The plans you show seem to jam as much as possible into a small area without too much thought as to the actual liveability and flow of the design.

It all depends on your target market. .
Marg

Hi Westminster, Thanks for your response and suggestions.

The development is located in the west side of Melbourne. Yes I agree that it is very small; approximately 130 sqm inc the garage. The idea is to fit 6 of these on 740 sqm block of land. Do you think that it is too small?

Bedroom 1 is roughly 3.1m x 3.9 m

Yes if i go with Option 2 i would either increase the side of the ensuite or have it as a storage space. Given that the study is so big, a cupboard could be installed for linen and or storage.

it really depends on the feasibility for 5 vs 6. I'm assuming this is a high density site close to amenities (shops, train perhaps) and there is a market for small dwellings.

Personally I love small dwellings but they do need to be clever. Storage key. For example this is a floor plan of a 1 bedroom flat and they have done the laundry, kitchen and then entertainment unit & desk all built in along one wall. Running things like this inline frees up a lot of space. If you did something like this in the living/meals you could free up the kitchen area to create a full bathroom with powder room or even a multi purpose room

53d6161ca22cc43d1f24b3ea81ba33e4.jpg

Then study downstairs could be a bedroom, there is no minimum size but I think your designer has left it open so that the entrance hallway doesn't feel narrow. If it is narrower than 2.5m then I would leave it as a study.

it really depends on the feasibility for 5 vs 6. I'm assuming this is a high density site close to amenities (shops, train perhaps) and there is a market for small dwellings.

Personally I love small dwellings but they do need to be clever. Storage key. For example this is a floor plan of a 1 bedroom flat and they have done the laundry, kitchen and then entertainment unit & desk all built in along one wall. Running things like this inline frees up a lot of space. If you did something like this in the living/meals you could free up the kitchen area to create a full bathroom with powder room or even a multi purpose room

53d6161ca22cc43d1f24b3ea81ba33e4.jpg

Then study downstairs could be a bedroom, there is no minimum size but I think your designer has left it open so that the entrance hallway doesn't feel narrow. If it is narrower than 2.5m then I would leave it as a study.

Your right Wesminster, it is a 5 minute walk from the train station and is in a residential growth zone so high density build is supported.

I quite like the clever design. but struggle to make it work on my plans. i want to make sure there is as much open space as possible. My idea is that if council rejects these plans i would go down to 5 larger townhouses.

Hey Guys,

My architect has come back with 2 different designs for the ground floor. l would appreciate some advice on the following:

Option 1. The laundry is in the garage, allowing for a bigger walk in wardrobe.

Option 2. The laundry is under the stairs and there is storage space is in the garage. Note that this design eats into the walk in wardrobe.

I have also attached the layout for upstairs which i am pretty happy with.

Any other recommendations are welcome!

Cheers,

Derrick
It is hard to comment not knowing the area you are investing in? What other properties have in this area? Sometimes providing gone fit for all solution is not correct it should satisfy the demographic market you are catering to, targeting!
I have a laundry in the garage rather than the unit and it is ok as it is a more premium suburb, so the living space was utilised for bath and shower. So it really depends, other units in the block have no garage hence need to share the laundry or provide washer in the kitchen and dryer in the bathroom.
I would think generally it would be ok in the garage but it really depends what your clients living in the area think?

Back