Which Magazine to subscribe to?

Hi, i have a gift card for isubscribe and am thinking about which magazine to subscribe to: Australian Property Investor or Your Investment Property, which magazine would u recommoned, im in my starting stages of investment properties and mainly wish to buy in regional areas (i have one investment property in ballarat) or would i be better to just subscribe to mad magazine hehe.

Hi Normie,

I have always bought the API mag as lots of info and also now a little bias as a few friends have been featured in there.

Haven't bought the other one so couldn't give you me opinion only flipped through it!

Have fun reading!
:)

I used to subscribe to WHEELS magazine, but after some poor service this year cancelled my 20 year old subscription. I don't miss it, the quality is nothing like it used to be.

Hi Normie,

I'd go API. YIP is good too, but API seems to have meatier articles & I found it was a good way to get used to the investing lingo.

(Can't go past an old copy of Phantom though ;) )

Another vote for API mag....and I'm not saying that just because I've appeared in it once and another time was quoted on bathrooms renos......and next month they are quoting me again on property management:D

Find your nearest Borders book shop and sit down and read all the
property investment magazines for free for the next few months.
You should have an idea by then which ones suit your needs, then you
can subscribe.

would i be better to just subscribe to mad magazine hehe.

go with what's interesting for you.
IMO unless you're an absolute newbie you won't get much out of the property magazines.

Sometimes they have suggested top suburbs etc which is cool but looking at their suggestions some people could easily be fooled and buy in an area they shouldn't have gone into

Find your nearest Borders book shop and sit down and read all the
property investment magazines for free for the next few months.
You should have an idea by then which ones suit your needs, then you
can subscribe.

Or go to the library and borrow half a dozen. You can read the new ones but can't borrow them for a few weeks or a month? My library has a coffee shop. I used to go there and have coffee and read it. I subscribe now (to API). Look for special deals. I got a free book for subscribing.

Sometimes they have suggested top suburbs etc which is cool but looking at their suggestions some people could easily be fooled and buy in an area they shouldn't have gone into

Agreed.

Those sort of lists are often pretty shonky, even though they're often cover stories to lure newsagent buyers.

There is often no justification for the picks and they'll use a local agent who will (of course) boost their area. A suburb near the claimed top suburbs may be as good if not better, while other clearly inferior places make the list.

Often there won't be much of an explanation as to why the yields appear high or the prices low. Eg an inner suburb might be a 'hotspot' for high yield or low prices due to student or serviced apartments whose capital growth or improvement potential is not necessarily high.

Other times definitions can be stretched - eg a suburb 20 or 30km out could be considered part of a list of bargain inner 'CBD suburbs' when it is nothing of the sort. A hamlet in the boondocks is labelled a suburb (implying it is at least commutable to a large city) when it is way out bush.

Reports from agents that say 'only two years ago you could buy a house for $200k, now it's hard to get anything under $400k' could sometimes be gilding the lily - two may be more like five years.

Past performance is what makes the figures look good, but that's only any good if you already own something there. And who knows what the future will bring?

I really like API. I just renewed my subscription for another 3 years :)

The articles are great and full of information, I wish you got a free audio version with the subscription so I could listen whilst driving.

go with what's interesting for you.
IMO unless you're an absolute newbie you won't get much out of the property magazines.

totally agree - i subscribed to api for several years and then it started getting "same old" without the nitty gritty i was after.

now i only subscribe to house and garden - a girl's allowed to drool!

totally agree - i subscribed to api for several years and then it started getting "same old" without the nitty gritty i was after.

now i only subscribe to house and garden - a girl's allowed to drool!

Same as you Lizzie, ... will let my API subscription lapse .... After a couple of years the same stuff is discussed by the same people with the same conclusion's, ... has some useful info, but not enough to warrant ongoing purchase.

Mystery

Hi,

Given that we are often in YIP, we should have a bias towards them, but the truth is both magazines are great and have their own strengths and weaknesses. I would suggest getting both YIP and API!

Australian Property Investor & Your Investment Property

If you have a gift card and are serious about property then I would recommend using the gift card to subscribe to either Australian Property Investor or Your Investment Property, then buy a subscription for the other magazine.

Their cost compared to value is very low & they are both outstanding publications!!!

Philip

Back