Which one? Redcliffe, Brighton or Slacks Creek

Need opinion on which area to research further, and probably visit in 1-2 months

So far I narrowed down to three areas:

Slacks Creek
Pros:
  • Within 20km to Brisbane
  • Within budget (300K mark for houses), and a lot more affordable compared to neighbouring suburbs such as Daisy Hills and Underwood
  • Good yield
  • Lower DOH houses compared to Woodridge, Kingston etc

Against:
  • Still about 10% DOH stocks
  • Market have moved quite a bit
  • I already have a property in Logan Central so might need to consider different area

Brighton - Bracken Ridge

Pros:
  • 15-18 Km to Brisbane
  • Better neightbourhood (at least that's my impression)
  • Low DOH housing around, several schools and ammenities
  • Still within budget, albeit pushing it ($400K median)
  • Close to the beach, mainly owner occupiers area

Against:
  • Lower yield
  • I read somewhere that the market have moved around these suburbs as well

Redcliffe
Pros:
  • Within budget (300K mark for houses) - can't afford Scarborough
  • New train station on Kippa Ring
  • Not too bad of a neighbourhood (at least that's my impression)
  • Low(er) DOH housing around (compared to Loganeesque area) 5-8%
  • Close to the beach, mainly owner renters

Against:
  • Lower yield compared to Logan
  • 28 Km from Brisbane

Suggestions? Also, any of the above area prone to flood? (I know some pockets in Slacks Creek are)

Thank you :eek:

Very exciting, almost like you read my mind and laid it out for me.
Unfortunately, got nothing to contribute at this stage but will be watching this thread very closely and definitely contributing in the near future.

Redcliffe used to be refered to "deadcliffe" for good reason, but is improving on that stereotype, and may one day be desirable due to beach location. Any of those areas will have elements of undesirables.

Remember also, 28km to Brisbane is often perceived to be similar to 40km out of Sydney or Melbourne.

Redcliffe used to be refered to "deadcliffe" for good reason, but is improving on that stereotype, and may one day be desirable due to beach location. Any of those areas will have elements of undesirables.

Remember also, 28km to Brisbane is often perceived to be similar to 40km out of Sydney or Melbourne.

Deadcliffe, suicide place? :confused:

I'm not local so not sure. Can deal with some bad reputation as long as it's not real bad. I did ask a friend in Brisbane about the areas and their reaction on Redcliffe and Logan is "NO, you don't want to live there!"

How long does it take to travel from Brisbane to Redcliffe?

Deadcliffe, suicide place? :confused:

I'm not local so not sure. Can deal with some bad reputation as long as it's not real bad. I did ask a friend in Brisbane about the areas and their reaction on Redcliffe and Logan is "NO, you don't want to live there!"

How long does it take to travel from Brisbane to Redcliffe?

And your not intending to live there so I would totally disregard a emotional response based very little. Visit Scarborough and you will see that's not the case.

And your not intending to live there so I would totally disregard a emotional response based very little. Visit Scarborough and you will see that's not the case.

Yes, just good to know what local impression of the place :) my first and second IPs are not in the best area either, but they work.

I went to Brissy a year ago to have a look around at Logan/Redcliffe areas and of the two, I'd pick Redcliffe. Saw a lot more of the undesirables around Logan, whereas Redcliffe had a surprisingly relaxed, beachy vibe, not what I was expecting given the "Deadcliffe" reputation.

But this is half a day's worth of driving around and observing, not quite the same insight as a local would have, just my 2 cents.

I went to Brissy a year ago to have a look around at Logan/Redcliffe areas and of the two, I'd pick Redcliffe. Saw a lot more of the undesirables around Logan, whereas Redcliffe had a surprisingly relaxed, beachy vibe, not what I was expecting given the "Deadcliffe" reputation.

But this is half a day's worth of driving around and observing, not quite the same insight as a local would have, just my 2 cents.

Totally agree, driving around Logan I lost count of how many lounges laying out in front yards. Along with plenty of houses with 6 foot high chain wire fence. Redcliffe did have a nice relaxing beach vibe and the closer to the water the better that vibe become. For me the was no question where to buy.

Deadcliffe might mean the old fashioned (retro!) shopping strip and lack of high-life. Redcliffe used to cater heavily towards its elderly population. As more and more young families have moved in, the whole area now has coffee shops and restaurants and even Bridal and photography businesses. It's Gentrification Central.

You guys should do a search on here.

Seachange posted some interesting thoughts around Redcliffe

Can't find Sea Change post ...

Though Redcliffe is on next research stage. Quickly looking at Realestate.com.au, the property are not very cheap either. Bet let's see how my diggin pan out

No brainer, Redcliffe - I was tossing up between similar options at the time. Redcliffe and Scarbourough have the only real beach in Brisbane Metro, not counting the 'beaches' at Brighton, Sandgate etc.

Can't find Sea Change post ...

Though Redcliffe is on next research stage. Quickly looking at Realestate.com.au, the property are not very cheap either. Bet let's see how my diggin pan out

Probably nothing mind blowing .

My main comment I make is that in the last cycle , so around 2002 I asked here about it and a high profile member said it was dead cliff and avoid .

I found out later she had been buying there and didn't want any competition .....:(. By the time we ended up going there the market had moved so we bought elsewhere .

I thought it's a nice area , for a cheap area and the beaches are nice .

Many of the brissie base forum members are city centric so tend to ignore the bay , whether it's Redcliffe or manly or I between . People I've met off forum who know those areas , like them . I've liked them when I've seen them .

We bought in properties in manly Wynnum in second half of 2013 .

We're looking at buying more in brissie in near future , and Redcliffe is on my search list , but I'll be surprised if I can find the higher yields I'm looking for at the moment .

Cliff

Many of the brissie base forum members are city centric so tend to ignore the bay , whether it's Redcliffe or manly or I between . People I've met off forum who know those areas , like them . I've liked them when I've seen them .

I can confirm this. I lived there for 10 years and locals don't really see it as part of Brisbane. It's kind of like Newcastle to people who live in Sydney.

I can confirm this. I lived there for 10 years and locals don't really see it as part of Brisbane. It's kind of like Newcastle to people who live in Sydney.

"Newcastle" that's within 40km from city... that'd be so nice :D

Thank you @see_change - will look further there on Redcliffe.

@Highlygeared - I have seen some pic of Brighton, Sandgate on one of the thread, they don't look too bad (though not 'beach' in my definition as Sydnesider). I have not discount Bracken Ridge and surrounds tho - for the reason of proximity to city.

Back