Which property magazines do you subscribe?

Which property magazine do you subscribe or prefer? (Choose one only)

• Australia Property Investors

Votes: 38 95.0%
  • Your Investment Property

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all,

My Australian Property Investor subscription is ending next month and wondering should I renew the subscription or subscribe to Your Investment Property magazine.

How about you? If you only have a choice to subscribe one of them, which one do you pick? Reasons welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Yerfdog.

I don't actually subscribe to either of the mentioned mags.

What I do is have a quick flick through the investment mags and if something grabs my attention, I'll consider the purchase.

Regards
Marty

I'm pretty much the same as Marty. I used to subscribe, many years ago, however I found that the Magazines were containing less and less of what I wanted to read.

Like the others I buy API if there is something of interest, but these days since going monthly there is a lot of fluff in it. When YIP came out I had a quick squiz through it in the shop but it seemed a bit light on quality info so gave it a miss. I did however buy it once by mistake thinking it was API and by the time I got half way through it I was noticing the info a bit shallow...which is why I checked the cover and realised my mistake!

When at an expo a few weeks a go I was talking to the girl on the YIP stand who was selling them and she asked my opinion. I gave her my opinion and had a crack at her for the magazine trying to give the impression it was a month ahead of API by labeling its current mag the December issue .............the date at the time was 1st November! As I went to walk away she quietly slipped me the December mag and whispered I could have it for free. I later bought the November API at $5.... expo special.

Last edited:
I've been a subscriber to API for about 8 months. Find that there's getting less and less "useful" information but enjoy the read (good to keep up the enthusiasm).

Reading YIP, to me, is a bit like reading a long glossy advert (which I've paid for!).

the only mag i now subscribe to is the australian "residential property developer" mag. it is an industry mag put out for the really big boys of town (massive subdivisions, multi skyscraper developments etc) and find the information contained in that mag to be much more interesting than api is nowadays.

maybe my knowledge base has just outgrown api et al. they were great mags when i started out tho.

I subscribe to API - glance through it and read interesting subjects but I then file it for when I want to go back and look at Median values etc from the past for a property I maybe considering buying. Hence I use it as a bit of a database.

Jane

I subscribe to YIP - I find I get something out of each issue. Maybe it's because I'm relatively new to property investment. Either way, for about $10 a month I've found it to be a good investment :)

Australian Property Investor has more expert advice columns eg. Julia Hartman (accountancy), Rob Balanda (legal). Only negative is Australian Property Monitors property stats seem less current than RP Data stats (published in Your Investment Magazine ). Graeme Freer

Only negative is Australian Property Monitors property stats seem less current than RP Data stats (published in Your Investment Magazine ). Graeme Freer

Yes, but RPData is all over the place as they quote the relevant median for the month in question - the others seem to be more of a moving average. How would you go relying on a median price quoted one month and the next showed a 37% drop or increase. See example for one large regional town:

275000 Sept 2009
272500 Oct 2008

December median was $272,250, January was $373,750. You could certainly come unstuck basing your figures on these numbers alone!!!!

I am more inclined to rely on figures if they are reasonably consistent without big variances (similar stock selling) and the other companies quote similar figures.

I think these magazines are really helpful, especially when just starting. I found the story's from investors like how they bought 10/20 Ip's in 2 years etc to be very inspiring.

I also think API is the better one and I was a bit disappointed with the latest YIP purchased the other day as it was crammed for of articles that I had no interest in like; Sourcing the Perfect Development site, Your Guide to State by State land tax, Your First Home, and others. There are a 1 or 2 articles that are interesting though like "Cheap & Easy Bathroom Fixes & Small Cost, big Yield.

The good thing about these mags is that you can come back to the articles that might not interest you now but could in a year or two.

I buy API when it has articles that interest me. I get a free subscription to YIP and always enjoy reading it. Shows what a tightar$e I am :)

Yes, but RPData is all over the place as they quote the relevant median for the month in question - the others seem to be more of a moving average. How would you go relying on a median price quoted one month and the next showed a 37% drop or increase. See example for one large regional town:

As I've been saying for a while now: Useless & Clueless.

Back