which suburb in Melb is a better buy?

Hi, I am new to this country. I am looking at buying a property to live in. For the kid's education, I want to stay near a reasonably good public school. I am also looking at location that is near the train station and also not too far from the city (say 20km).

I am currently looking at the following suburbs:
1. Balwyn
2. McKinnon
3. Glen Waverley
4. Mount Waverley
5. Box Hill
6. Blackburn

Currently Box Hill and Blackburn seems to be more attractive, as the prices there are more affordable, and the public schools there seems to have good VCE results, and access to public transport.

any comment which area is a better buy?

The last 2 or three are probably the most affordable.

Note: the top public schools in Melbourne don't require you to live in a particular area! They do have selective entry though :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi,

Y-man, that is top private schools, not public schools.

For Mckinnon and Glen Waverley the public schools are so popular, because of results, that you have to live in the 'zone' for your child to attend. There are exceptions, but your child has to be 'exceptional' to get in from outside the zone.

bye

Hi,

Y-man, that is top private schools, not public schools.

For Mckinnon and Glen Waverley the public schools are so popular, because of results, that you have to live in the 'zone' for your child to attend. There are exceptions, but your child has to be 'exceptional' to get in from outside the zone.

bye

I believe Y-man is talking about selective school, Melbourne High (for boys) and Mac Robertson (for girls) which consistently kicks the butts of the private school and both are public and entry to both is not based on where you live.

I believe Y-man is talking about selective school, Melbourne High (for boys) and Mac Robertson (for girls) which consistently kicks the butts of the private school and both are public and entry to both is not based on where you live.

Absolutely yes :D Honour the Work.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi,

I was thinking that could be it, however don't those schools start at year 9??

McKinnon, Glen Waverley and Mt Waverley secondary schools have very good reputations and get results,(and start at year 7), not so sure about the reputation of Box Hill, Balwyn and Blackburn schools.

bye

hi all,

thanks for the comment.

I don't think i shld assume that my kids can go to Melb High or MacRobertson, as i heard that the competition is very high. so, i am looking at those good public schools which enrol the students based on the distance of my house from the school.

my budget is b/w $500 - $600k. i think i can get a house with this price range for box hill & blackburn. for other suburbs, i think i can only get a unit/ townhouse.

i don't really have any preference of houses vs units. however, my friends are telling me that i shld buy a house, as unit/ townhouse won't appreciate much in value given the small land size.

for Glen Waverley, i think other than the 'school zone', it is not as close to the city as the other suburbs, so i am thinking that it is a bit over-priced and may not worth considering.

for box hill & blackburn, it is closer to the city than Glen Waverley, so it looks like it is a better buy than Glen Waverley. however, i think box hill high school or blackburn high school are not as famous as McKinnon, Balwyn or Glen Waverley high schools etc. any comment on the reputation of box hill/ blackburn high schools? i don't need top schools, but school that have reasonable standard/ consistent performance over the years...does box hill/ blackburn high fit into these criterias?

for balwyn and McKinnon, they are closer to the city, so i am paying for the school zones and the distance to the city, which seems like a better deal/ safer bet. McKinnon has train station, Balwyn don't have train station but trams to the city. i have not tried to take any tram before, any idea how long it take from Balwyn to the city? is the tram punctual/ reliable?

hi all,

thanks for the comment.

I don't think i shld assume that my kids can go to Melb High or MacRobertson, as i heard that the competition is very high. so, i am looking at those good public schools which enrol the students based on the distance of my house from the school.

my budget is b/w $500 - $600k. i think i can get a house with this price range for box hill & blackburn. for other suburbs, i think i can only get a unit/ townhouse.

i don't really have any preference of houses vs units. however, my friends are telling me that i shld buy a house, as unit/ townhouse won't appreciate much in value given the small land size.

for Glen Waverley, i think other than the 'school zone', it is not as close to the city as the other suburbs, so i am thinking that it is a bit over-priced and may not worth considering.

for box hill & blackburn, it is closer to the city than Glen Waverley, so it looks like it is a better buy than Glen Waverley. however, i think box hill high school or blackburn high school are not as famous as McKinnon, Balwyn or Glen Waverley high schools etc. any comment on the reputation of box hill/ blackburn high schools? i don't need top schools, but school that have reasonable standard/ consistent performance over the years...does box hill/ blackburn high fit into these criterias?

for balwyn and McKinnon, they are closer to the city, so i am paying for the school zones and the distance to the city, which seems like a better deal/ safer bet. McKinnon has train station, Balwyn don't have train station but trams to the city. i have not tried to take any tram before, any idea how long it take from Balwyn to the city? is the tram punctual/ reliable?

Here's my list:

No 1: McRob and Melb High
No 2: Balwyn, GW, McKinnon

No. 2 school catchment area attract massive premium, so they're all beyond your budget for a house. However, I don't see a problem getting a townhouse or unit (2/3 on the block) that sits within your budget for Glen Waverley, and occasionally McKinnon. Capital growth is very consistent.

For 3rd tier good schools, these are on my list:

Blackburn
Box Hill
Mt Waverley
Vermont
Brentwood
Nortcote
Strathmore
(Highvale)
(Frankston High)

Personally I would go for Blackburn, as it's more leafy than Box Hill Central. However, I seriously doubt that you can get a house with land (650m2+) for your budget for a reasonable condition house. If you want walking distance to train station as well then it's definitely out of question. Same thing can be said for Mt Waverley and Box Hill as well. Oak Park (Strathmore), Vermont and Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill (Brentwood, Highvale) could be a more realistic choice. I assume Frankston is out of question for you, but if you like beach lifestyle, then Frankston South is a pretty good choice.

Feihong,

I add University High to your No 1 list, and modify No 3 (based on last 3 years VCE results):

No 1: McRob, Melb High, Uni High

No 3: Mt Waverley

No 4:
Vermont
Melbourne Girls
Ringwood
Box Hill
Canterbury Girls
Mentone Girls
Blackburn

Koonung achieved an exceptional VCE result in 2007 (similar to Mt Waverley). If it can repeat this result again, it would secure a spot in No 3 list.

Feihong,

I add University High to your No 1 list, and modify No 3 (based on last 3 years VCE results):

No 1: McRob, Melb High, Uni High

No 3: Mt Waverley

No 4:
Vermont SC
Melbourne Girls
Ringwood SC
Box Hill SC
Cobram SC
Canterbury Girls
Mentone Girls
Blackburn SC

Koonung SC achieved an exceptional VCE result in 2007 (similar to Mt Waverley). If it can repeat this result again, it would secure a spot in No 3 list.

Thanks for the update. Btw, are Mentone Girls, Cantebury Girls and Melbourne Girls public schools?

Edit: Just checked the ranking for the last 3 years.. Cobram performed well in 2005, but didn't fare that well in 2006 and 2007?

Last edited:
Balwyn. However i'm biased. I'm rapt that my ppor is in the Balwyn High zone. My partner lives in Blackburn at the moment and I don't think the schools down there are any good. I'm not familiar with Glen Waverly schools.

You will not find anything for 600k in Balwyn and as for Blackburn, I can't believe how much it has jumped in value.

Edit. In the eastern subs PUBLIC high schools that perform well are Balwyn, Camberwell, East Doncaster & Doncaster. Those are the schools that I am familiar with.

Thanks for the update. Btw, are Mentone Girls, Cantebury Girls and Melbourne Girls public schools?

Edit: Just checked the ranking for the last 3 years.. Cobram performed well in 2005, but didn't fare that well in 2006 and 2007?

I'm sure they are private. Mac Rob is the selective state school and i'm sure all those schools listed above are girls Grammar schools in the 10k+ per year vicinity.

Balwyn. However i'm biased. I'm rapt that my ppor is in the Balwyn High zone. My partner lives in Blackburn at the moment and I don't think the schools down there are any good. I'm not familiar with Glen Waverly schools.

You will not find anything for 600k in Balwyn and as for Blackburn, I can't believe how much it has jumped in value.

I believe newcomer was looking for a house with land, and you will not find anything under 1 million in Balwyn for a reasonable condition house. Yes, Blackburn has jumped in value, as it's a beneficiary of Eastlink as well, on top of Eastern Fwy (Blackburn has already jumped before due to Eastern Fwy).

Back