Which Title Insurer

I'm looking into title insurance for the settlement currently going into, but I'm not that familiar with this type of insurance.

So far I only know of two insurers, Stewart Title, and First Title. Are they the only reliable ones or are there other options?

Has anyone had dealings with them and know which ones "better", or any feedback they can give?

Also has anyone used the "existing homeowner" policy? I'm considering waiting until after settlement to buy, so that I can claim it on tax and it won't go to cost base..

I've looked fairly closely at the Stewart Title option and I'm fairly comfortable with that one. Can't comment much beyond that.

Thanks Peter, I had only looked at First Title so far..

Premiums look the same for both about $450

It's not as easy as car insurance or home insurance where it's well known who is trustworthy to pay claims and who doesn't..

If any of the past work was not certified, if any other strange issues come up related to anything the solicitor misses during settlement.

The property was for sale 3 times before and didn't sell and we don't know why, so I'm being cautious even though doing full searches and inspections.

Back