Which trade for Dishwasher install

This is probably a really dumb question but I am going to ask anyway...

I've recently purchased a house and am considering putting in a dishwasher into the kitchen. Trouble is there is no existing housing for a dishwasher in the cabinets, which look 5-6 years old. So will have to make some changes to the cabinets.

Who should i get in to help with this - a plumber to advise on best location for a dishwasher or a cabinet maker about the reconfiguration?

OSS

the dishwasher will need to be located adjacent to your kitchen sink as its waste will need to be hooked up to the sinks waste..

you could try and find a knowledgable handyman to complete the scope of works, i wouldnt let a plumber butcher a disherwasher into your existing cabinetry ;)

I would get your local cabnet maker or handyman to make the adjustments. The standard opening is around 600mm, so they will just take one cupboard out and cut the kicker down the bottom.

You will then need a plumber to put hose connections in the opening

Cheers Bushy

an electrician to wire the outlet

cabinet maker for a dishwasher,?:
8 screws to remove 24inch 2 door cabinet, from under countertop (hold for reuse in next reno), four screws to reposition diswasher in opening

plumber for a dishwasher,?:
screwfit t-couplings in the hotwater line, waste p-trap with dishwasher spigot
four thumb nuts to undo, six thumb nuts to do up,

done

Agree with almostbob. Do it yourself it should be resonably easy. Or you could always just call in a handyman if you really don't want to do it yourself.

Thanks for the replies. I've got a picture of the kitchen, please excuse the quality. Sink is on the left hand side.

At the moment, I don't believe there is room to put a dishwasher in without reconfiguring the cabinets.

My thoughts are to remove the diagonal unit housing the oven and cooktop, and extend the cupboards into the corner so instead of the diagonal unit, a true L shape. In a new unit, put the dishwasher next to the sink and move the oven/cooktop over to the back wall.

As a result it is a bit more than pull out a unit and insert dishwasher.

After typing this, I think i should be getting a cabinet maker in as a remodel is in order. Would this be right?

OSS

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 142
at first i was thinking, just remove a set of drawers or shelve yourself and pop it in there, but after reading the changes, yeah i think a cabinet maker is needed.

We recently put a new dishwasher into a kitchen that had none but luckily we just removed a set of drawers (kept them for the laundry) and popped it in there. We would have needed an electricitian for the power run but luckily had someone who could do the wiring.

One tip we had was to put in a boxed powerpoint in an adjacent cupboard and the dishwasher plugs directly into that, makes it easy for turning it off if needed (and replacement).

Is there room to remove the double doors under the sink, pop it in there and have any gap filled in using the existing door cut down, or an infill section painted to match. It is hard to see from the photo which side the draining board is on but usually dishwashers work well under the draining board.

Easier to lose the under sink area than the drawers on the other side.

didn't know before how lucky i've been to have easy cabinets to work under
have always had a 24inch cabinet to just pull out, have done a dozen,
I comiserate, and apologise for the thoughts of 'wuss'

Back