Which will be better growth? Brisbane north.

Hi, a Somersoft newbie here.

We are just hitting age 50 and looking to get an IP or two going in time for retirement. Finally got some spare cashflow now the kids have grown up.

OK so would you recommend closer in to the CBD, say Nundah, Chermside, Everton Park, which would require a higher mortgage, or outer northern corridor, such as North Lakes and Griffin? Brand new homes, more tax deductions for better cashflow. Much lower mortgage and lower difference between rents and outlays, than inner suburbs, but lower annual CG (6% compared to 10% ave over ten yrs)

All feedback gratefully received

TIA

We are just hitting age 50 and looking to get an IP or two going in time for retirement. Finally got some spare cashflow now the kids have grown up.

OK so would you recommend closer in to the CBD, say Nundah, Chermside, Everton Park, which would require a higher mortgage, or outer northern corridor, such as North Lakes and Griffin? Brand new homes, more tax deductions for better cashflow. Much lower mortgage and lower difference between rents and outlays, than inner suburbs, but lower annual CG (6% compared to 10% ave over ten yrs)

TIA

Hi Angel, would you consider buying the post codes prediction report that Residex has?. That may assist in answering your question with real data.

Good luck!

TIA

I much prefer closer to the CBD because of the higher demand for rental property. Where did you get the capital gains figures?

Hi!

10% generally, overall. I was quoting from one of last year's API magazines that i am reading again ATM. Not necessarily 10% for every one of the suburbs i listed in my question, (Nundah was 12%, Chermside 15.1%) but the brisbane suburbs I have looked at were 10% or higher, houses and units. The mag quoted figures based on the ten years until April 09. (I dont have any from 2010 in my house ATM)

The question i am asking is that ,well, it would be great to buy into a capital city that is starting to boom and has high capital gains and is a certainty to continue in this way. However if every investor in Australia is grabbing the properties as they come onto the market, i dont have much of a chance of getting my hands on something, especially if the size of the mortgage makes me sick just thinking about it. My brain says to buy as close in as we can possibly get, forget about the mortgage as the property will be paying itself off after a few years (increased rents) and we only have to consider our cashflow in the short-term.

We are actually low income earners so the option of buying a place out in the boonies for mid $300Ks (Toowoomba) and $400K at Griffin has its appeal. However these places have the lower rates of CG. The person recommending we buy here has a vested interest in sellling us land that his company has purchased, so I want a second opinion. His reasoning is valid.

Hi!

10% generally, overall. I was quoting from one of last year's API magazines that i am reading again ATM. Not necessarily 10% for every one of the suburbs i listed in my question, (Nundah was 12%, Chermside 15.1%) but the brisbane suburbs I have looked at were 10% or higher, houses and units. The mag quoted figures based on the ten years until April 09. (I dont have any from 2010 in my house ATM)

The question i am asking is that ,well, it would be great to buy into a capital city that is starting to boom and has high capital gains and is a certainty to continue in this way. However if every investor in Australia is grabbing the properties as they come onto the market, i dont have much of a chance of getting my hands on something, especially if the size of the mortgage makes me sick just thinking about it. My brain says to buy as close in as we can possibly get, forget about the mortgage as the property will be paying itself off after a few years (increased rents) and we only have to consider our cashflow in the short-term.

We are actually low income earners so the option of buying a place out in the boonies for mid $300Ks (Toowoomba) and $400K at Griffin has its appeal. However these places have the lower rates of CG. The person recommending we buy here has a vested interest in sellling us land that his company has purchased, so I want a second opinion. His reasoning is valid.

Point 1: If you are going to stress about the investment, you might be better to re-think.

Point 2: Buy what's best for you, not someone else.

Just my 2c worth.

Not considering Lockyer Valley at this time. We have made a killing there in the past with a vacant block of land, but it was not economically viable to build on it. I am spoilt living close to the Bay breezes, I figure I would not like to live there so why would anyone else? Another topic perhaps.

I am spoilt living close to the Bay breezes, I figure I would not like to live there so why would anyone else? Another topic perhaps.

Personally I have a choice where I can live,I can live in our house at Boondal near the shopping center and train or I can live in our house on the esplanade at Bargara across from the beach,

I lived in a house across from the beach in Mackay a few years ago and the wind,salt spray nearly drove me mad.

When I go to any of these for a visit,it makes me so glad I live where I live now.I don't believe I want to live anywhere else,it is so beautiful,the children are so happy and safe.Even my next door neighbor from the city has bought a rental here and couldn't be happier.Our cars are never locked,

We have invested here again this year with building a new house in the Fairways,should be finished by June.

Wind and salt spray............

I dont live THAT close to the beach. Lets say about ten kls west of Boondall. However Laidley shire in the drought, in 40+degree summer heat, is AWFUL. Dont care how close to the university it was, the rents were way too low.

Back