white ants in tenants furniture ?

G'day all ,
I caught up with our tenant tonight and she mentioned that a friend of hers recommended placing metal ashtrays under the legs of her expensive timber furniture to stop white ant damage, as they could enter through the timber floors.I was wondering if we would be liable for the damage if it was to occur and if our building insurance or her contents insurance would cover it. All replies appreciated.
Regards Bushy

Just an off-the-cuff comment, but I'm guessing that if you reach the situation where white ants are coming up through the floorboards to eat someones furniture, your house is probably already toast!

Good reply Kevmeister, it would be humourous if it wasnt so serious.

Kevmeister,
It was browned toats when we bought it .I put my fist thru the wall trying to take the wall paper off and had the little buggers running up my arm. We were aware of them when we bought .We are in the 3rd year of our 5 yr plan and the value has more than doubled,only because of the land not the house.If we estimated right our demolision crew will have finished eating in 2yrs time and then we can develope.The only problem is I didn't count on them eating the furniture and getting sued - if we are liable that is.
regards Bushy

Bushy,

if it is as bad as it sounds then I would think very seriously before renting to anyone.

As you are aware of the problem you would be legally liable if part of the building was to collapse onto your tenant. They could sue you and be awarded substantial damages, this is unlikely to be covered by your insurances. You could lose the lot, plus whatever else you own , I don't think it is worth the risk for the return you would get

Macca,
It's not as bad as it sounds ,If you walked into the place you would not know they had been there.We replaced a wall (not load bearing) before we rented it and treat the stumps every year. As far as we know they have not returned ,but my tenants idea made me think that they might damage her furniture before there were any visual signs and wanted to know where we stand. Also I would hate you to think we were slum lords. We would be prepared to live in any of our IP's, they are well presented. Thanks for your reply.
Bushy

G'day Bushy,

Another thought, if the little b.......s were in the floor, the furniture would fall through it before they had a chance to start on the furniture, so the tenants would probably notice , although we have had tenants who were never straight enough to notice anything

Ive Got One Also

Ive an IP similar situation. Got a Pest controller to do a controlled arsenic treatment cost me abt $180 dollars and a sucessful kill.

Need to monitor but its working fine.

If you cut out the moisture path it helps.
Droughts are a good thing forknocking em off

Dave P

"Better to say you have a long way to rather than say you are Finished":cool:

Termites and the damage they cause are uninsurable risks.

Read your policies carefully. There are many things which are not insurable.

Australia is a termite zone.

These insects are very important in the ecoculture. Trouble is, they can't distinguish one dinner from another.

Information on termites can be obtained from the CSIRO or your local municipal building department.

I have been told that on a quiet night, the sound of munching can be heard coming through the walls. But I think that that's just an urban myth!

Cheers

Kristine

Hi Kristine

The sound of munching at night time is absolutely no urban myth - that I can guarantee you. I have attended many homes where the occupents have said they could hear them and I have heard them even in the day. It was a very severe infestation on that occassion. There is many different types of white ant, some fly, these are slower in their damage, and the common ones that build a nest and don't like daylight.

Nasty little blighters they are. :)

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Dear guys,

Interesting fact is that the "termite" family is related to the cockroach. No connection with the ant family. But the "white ant" name is not going to disappear tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Yeah, my mother heard them munching in her house, mainly at night.

The other thing, they can travel a long way from their nest to have a feed at your place!!

They are a fact of life living in our part of Brisbane - one just needs to protect one's property.

A couple of years ago I tried to find out a bit about the little buggers. A lady in her 90's said "In the old days you just went out to the shed ,grabbed the jar that had arsenic written on the side of it and tipped a little bit down one of their tunnels that you broke. They made it back to their nest before they died and when they did finally kick the bucket were eaten by the others until the whole nest was wiped out."
It's a bit hard to get your hands on arsenic these days ( to many unhappy partners I suspect ).
I did come across an info page which is attached which might be of some use http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dewart/bbox.htm[/URL]
I haven't used the bait trap but have used CHLORPYRIFOS 500 EC
to treat around the stumps. Even though it is the same poison they spray on your vegi's a couple weeks before harvest make sure you wear all the safety gear when doing it.
Regards Bushy

termites !!!

We bought my father-in-laws house and found we had an infestation too. (my husband refused to get a pest report cos he reckoned he knew the house....funny, he now pays for one everytime !!!!)

anyway, one thing nobody has mentioned here but we were worried about is the fact that if you do have this situation you MUST keep it a secret from your lender cos if they find out, they can call the loan in on the basis of not lending for something that is uninsurable (yes, it also has insurance implications).

Not to mention the possibility of it all falling down on the tenant's head. If you knew, that makes it a foreseaable risk and you could be sued for everything as you have a duty of care to the tenants.

Savanna

Metal discs or ashtrays are a good idea. I've had termites in my house and they've travelled 12 metres through the tongue & groove gap in cypress pine floorboards ( which they don't like to eat ) to get to furniture and cardboard boxes on the other side of the house.

If the tenants like their furniture, metal discs are cheap insurance.

Get under the house and find where they are coming in. Even a can of barrier surface spray slows them down for few weeks/months.

Remove all sources of moisture, and get fresh air flowing under the house. It really pisses them off. Death to termites !

Search for 'termite' and 'white ant' in google - read up on what Dr. Don has to say.

Be sure you are safe from legal action if tenants fall through floor or roof falls on them - I had a structural 4"x4" post that was totally gone, I could put my fist through it easily.

Richard

Richard,

You have a risky house.

I'd be really scared to be there. Are you trying to get rid of them? What about pest removalist thingos? Can they remove them?

Or are you just tolerating them, and hoping for an auction where a buyer might not be aware?

Sorry, an unfair question. But it's one many of us may face. If (when) you sell, it will be a consideration.

Hi Geoff,

The Termite Wars are over, and they have been vanquished. I've not seen any activity since Mar 2002, which was when I removed the kitchen and laundry, including the suspended cement slab floor and supporting brick walls, and then removed the 30cms of dirt and I got down to bedrock.

Removed 7 metres of external wall, built new brick piers ( with antcaps ) and new bearers, joists and floorboards, and rebuilt the external wall.

Removed all the soil outside the house ( uphill side ) down to sandstone, dug a trench in the sandstone to drain away any surface water. Due to this and the new piers rather than brickwall support for old kitchen slab, there is constant airflow under my house now and it is super dry.

I found active termites in a small tree out on footpath in November, informed council, they are removing tree soonish.

When I go under house to inspect, I take a 500W halogen flood and go around every pier ( so I can see all sides ) and look at the external engaged piers and walls from about 50cms away - I can see very clearly, and there are no new mudtrails. I inspect every 2-3 months, and have spent a lot of time under the house in the last year ( re-wiring, aircon install, plumbing, storage, hiding from kids to make phone calls ( study not yet finished, no door ))

When removing old kitchen, I found repairs done in 1981 showing termite damage back then. The termites were coming up the brick wall supporting the slab, through cracks in slab, into baseplate of wall, then into studs, posts and door frames ( that's how I found them , door architrave crumbled ). The termite cap under the baseplate was partially buried by slab, so termites had unimpeded protected access to baseplate.

Had various quotes from pest companies, I didn't want to dump 1,000 litres of poison under house, as my kids play in backyard which is downhill, so poison would leach out into yard. I didn't want to fork out 4k for Sentricon and a maint contract, as they were quoting for stations where no dirt existed ( bare sandstone ) and wouldn't modify their quote to reflect reality.

Everything I read said remove moisture and improve ventilation. Prior to 1st Termite War ( mid 1999 ) I had running water under house when it rained, and pooling water for weeks afterward as the sub-surface water from uphill ( about 20 houses worth ) trickled down the hill.

Now, after having dug serious trenches around the house and backfilled with gravel and 90mm pipe, plus removed dirt from uphill side, it's dry under house now. I've taken about 60 7'x4' box trailer fulls of dirt away, and I'm a lot fitter <grin>. My wife has got the nice new kitchen with Ilve oven & cooktop and handpainted cupboard doors ( French country style...), and we shuffled every room around ( Master became the boys room, boys room became the girls room, girls room became the dining room, dining room became the study, study became the Master bedroom. ) and we've sanded/polished floorboards and
done fancy Porter's paint finishes everywhere and we're still working on stuff.

We'll probably stay in this house for next 10 years ( till youngest child finishes primary school ) we like the area & school etc. We'll decide then whether we sell or demolish it. Great views, 960 sqm, house is 1950's weatherboard.

Our pest inspection when we bought here didn't say 'signs of old activity', and didn't say 'no signs of old activity', just said ' no sign of current activity'. Once we knew what to look for, we found termite activity mainly in kitchen & laundry, with single trails to other 3 corners of house, and up to roof ( to old gravity hot water heater, which was disconnected mid 1980's )

Next house I buy ( soon ! ) I'm am inspecting myself, v.e.r.y carefully, as well as getting a detailed pest and structural report, so that I can sue if they are wrong. Little beasty munchers have cost me 45k to rebuild, 95% with my labour, has taken 12 months to get almost finished. Ever cooked dinner in middle of Sydney winter with 7m of wall missing and most of the floor gone as well ? wife not exactly happy !

Valuation before ripout and 6 months later ( new kitchen installed and looking good ) gave a 100k increase.

Anyway, I'm off to paint the laundry doors now.....

Good on you Richard, I admire your perserverence. Id be interested to know where in Sydney the house is. But i suppose theres termites all over Sydney. :)

Hio brains,

I'm in St. Ives, but it doesn't matter where you are in Sydney, there are bound to be termites around. Some stats say 1 house in 4 will be attacked in it's lifetime.

Talking with friends - about 1 in 4 have had termites ( or have them right now ! )

When termites are swarming in springtime, I've driven around St. Ives and other suburbs, and they are everywhere.

Back