"White Flight" - Could this trend happen in Australia?

I lived in London for six years, I remember once getting dissed and shouldered while walking at Charring Cross station by a black guy, only reason he did it was that I was white.

Why is white mans country is for everyone but every other country is closed shop or nobody wants to immigrate and live there.

I participated in 'white flight' when I moved to Marrickville. I left a suburb that was very anglo and moved to one where more than half the residents were born overseas - some even came on those pesky boats. Much more interesting than living in a suburb full of people like me.

Oh, hang on, I've got it round the wrong way, haven't I.

So what about countries like Australia and North America where the land pre 21st century was the land of the natives (black people). Should they also be whinging saying that the white people have invaded and should be kicked out. The land of the whites is back in Europe and nowhere else if we want to talk about the past. If Europeans didn't invade other countries, maybe we wouldn't have a problem today.

The fact of the matter is that time, civilisation and society moves on. In another 200 years, it's even going to be more different than today. Our world is going one direction and not some sort of trend.

I would have to say that the lower class (bogans) who don't make it too far in life are the whinging minority of whites who have nothing better to do with their time. They prob haven't even travelled far to see the world either. Countries like Nth America and Australia would not survive if it wasn't for immigration which bring a lot of wealth to the country.

Given that this is an Australian site with all of us knowing the English language and Australian culture, I would really be interested in knowing what non English/white countries say about white people. I am taking wild guess that they don't say much because the live life in their country and worry about their own affairs and culture. Look at China, they live their lives for thousands and thousands of years of history, they don't have the mentality like some of the western countries who are only hundreds of years old and have nothing better to do than whinge about the rest of the world. What I am saying is that other countries who are not of white European origin don't need to prove themselves to other countries or races. They are proud and happy enough.

I read somewhere that the world would be peaceful if the whites didn't stick their nose in everything.

I also don't get who is considered white today, you could have a girl who is Lebanese with white soft skin; you could have a guy from Japan who has whiter skin than a British guy. It's all a load of shi# and people should just get on with their lives and stop whinging about colour, race or culture. None of this shi# will matter another in 200 years.

Last edited:
Spot on ...in another 50 years ...it will be very hard to identify who is white, black, brown or yellow!

As the old bogan saying says...if you don't love Australia (with Multiculturalism of course) ...then leave!

As for the person saying the UK is going backwards...they have it incorrect. The UK is one of the few economies in Europe which will be ok economically..a lot of this is due to immigration and movement of money there...similar to Australia. As a matter of fact high immigrant countries have fared better economically then ones which do not have a large intake. Look at Australia, Canada, NZ, USA.

Europe and Japan are not doing well.....

People need to get used to the fact that the immigrants these days are highly educated. I can already see this by the prices in Sydney where certain immigrant groups are and real estate prices.

So what about countries like Australia and North America where the land pre 21st century was the land of the natives (black people). Should they also be whinging saying that the white people have invaded and should be kicked out. The land of the whites is back in Europe and nowhere else if we want to talk about the past. If Europeans didn?t invade other countries, maybe we wouldn?t have a problem today.

The fact of the matter is that time, civilisation and society moves on. In another 200 years, it?s even going to be more different than today. Our world is going one direction and not some sort of trend.

I would have to say that the lower class who don't make it too far in life are the whinging minority of whites who have nothing better to do with their time. They prob haven't even travelled far to see the world either. Countries like Nth America and Australia would not survive if it wasn?t for immigration which being a lot of wealth to the country.

Given that this is an Australian site with all of us knowing the English language and Australian culture, I would really be interested in knowing what non English/white countries say about white people. I am taking wild guess that they don?t say much because the live life in their country and worry about their own affairs and culture.

I read somewhere that the world would be peaceful if the whites didn?t stick their nose in everything.

I also don?t get who is considered white today, you could have a girl who is Lebanese with white soft ski; you could have a guy from Japan who has whiter skin than a British guy. It?s all a load of shi# and people should just get on with their lives and stop whinging about colour, race or culture. None of this shi# will matter another in 200 years.

Why is white mans country is for everyone but every other country is closed shop or nobody wants to immigrate and live there.

seriously?

firstly this isnt white mans country.

secondly in what way is every other country closed or nobody wants to immigrate there? i take it you havent looked up immigration stats? middle east, north africa, south east asia - all have huge amounts of immigration and wouldnt be described as "white man's country", whatever that means in context of this being 2015 and not 1965

I don't think any race of person would be happy if they were quite quickly out numbered in their own city, town, suburb etc.. especially if generations of theirs had built up the welfare and infrastructure.

Its just an observation, white countries for all and everyone else is a closed shop.

I agree in another 200 years or so we will be a huge melting pot and all the better for it but there are growing pains I guess.

I dont think the likes of Kensington, Peppermint Grove or any other rich suburb is going to get a massive influx of foreigners any time soon.

Have a look at the number of Asian names who own in Darling Point, Applecross, and even Mosman now. Incidently...places like Chelsea, Mayfair, Kensington would be dominated by non-anglo names.

I don't think any race of person would be happy if they were quite quickly out numbered in their own city, town, suburb etc.. especially if generations of theirs had built up the welfare and infrastructure.

Its just an observation, white countries for all and everyone else is a closed shop.

I agree in another 200 years or so we will be a huge melting pot and all the better for it but there are growing pains I guess.

I dont think the likes of Kensington, Peppermint Grove or any other rich suburb is going to get a massive influx of foreigners any time soon.

the stats do not support your claim that everyone else is a closed shop, thats the point im making

also, as i mentioned before, australia is built on immigration, it isnt a place like say japan, india etc where the country has existed with pretty much the same place for thousands of years.

btw kensington and peppy grove both have roughly 30% of the residents born overseas so thats a signifcant percentage

dalkeith is 40%.

Sash, Are you seriously saying that these suburbs are similar to say parts of London, Brixton, Bradford, Birmingham etc.. where "white flight" is supposedly happening ?

Sash, Are you seriously saying that these suburbs are similar to say parts of London, Brixton, Bradford, Birmingham etc.. where "white flight" is supposedly happening ?

no im not but youre the one who mentioned those suburbs

incidentally its taking the p#ss for englishmen to complain about there being too many brown or black people in their country after colonising half of the brown and black world.

goose/gander?

Well make a fair comparison on Suburbs then ?

I am not English

We have all been invaded, you think the English weren't ??

I don't have a problem with Immigrants mate, but you look at the suburbs I mentioned in the UK I just don't think that its fair to bring that many immigrants in so quickly and change the whole culture of the place.

Last edited:
Nope but you said not many white people there (Chelsea, Mayfair, Kensington)...I think you will find a large portion are Chinese, Indians, Arabs, Russians, etc.

Chomp...obviously....you have an issue with non-whites pushing out the Chavs...I have been to Brixton...and let me tell you it is a very interesting place and is becoming more upmarket.

I also see white flight in the Upper North Shore as Chinese, Indians, and other Asians in good jobs buy in. The complaint from white parents is that their kids can't compete academically. This is stupid....if they can't learn to compete when will they?

The thinking you have is a very colonial mentality. Having traveled through parts of Europe and part of Australia this attitude is keeping them from becoming dynamics countries.

If the attitude continues...the Asian countries will surpass the Southern Europe countries definitely and they will be serving their mostly Asian customer base as they visit tourists within a decade.

So ...

I'm sure no one here will agree with this but

Why do ethnic minorities tend to cluster in certain areas? Because they want to be around people with similar values and culture ?

If a white person wanted this it would be racist

So ...

Why do ethnic minorities tend to cluster in certain areas? Because they want to be around people with similar values and culture ?

Comfort from others who are similar, whole host of reasons. For some people moving abroad can be really daunting. Also, often people have no idea where in a city tp move to so if they have a family friend etc living in an area they will just go there, I've had relatives do the same in winthrop. There are also some things that appeal to particular groups, eg the Italians tended to live close to towns as thats what they wanted, even when no one else wanted to. Poms want to be near the water etc.

You're entirely wrong re your second comment btw. "White people" and indeed australians of all colour (not sure why this is a colour issue and not a natiobality one) already do that in expat communities around the world. Go to parts of hing kong or singapore and see how dominated by white expats they are, is that racist as you say or just easier for people ?

Also look at the strong percentage of English pepple living in say far northern coastalk suburbs, same thing.

remove the chip on your shoulder and you'll see there are clear explanations for this

Comfort from others who are similar, whole host of reasons. For some people moving abroad can be really daunting. Also, often people have no idea where in a city tp move to so if they have a family friend etc living in an area they will just go there, I've had relatives do the same in winthrop. There are also some things that appeal to particular groups, eg the Italians tended to live close to towns as thats what they wanted, even when no one else wanted to. Poms want to be near the water etc.

You're entirely wrong re your second comment btw. "White people" and indeed australians of all colour (not sure why this is a colour issue and not a natiobality one) already do that in expat communities around the world. Go to parts of hing kong or singapore and see how dominated by white expats they are, is that racist as you say or just easier for people ?

Also look at the strong percentage of English pepple living in say far northern coastalk suburbs, same thing.

remove the chip on your shoulder and you'll see there are clear explanations for this

No chip, I understand it's easier

So why do people think it's racist for a white person or any person to move out of an area that is now dominated by cultures other than there own

As you said they move to feel more comfortable and be around people who are 'similiar'

So ...

This is partly what I mean, let me get my very broad brush out, if you are born in Africa, Asia, Middle East etc.. you can live in your own country and largely not have to live with "Westerners" if you don't want to. But in Western countries this will eventually become impossible, rightly or wrongly but shouldn't we have a choice ?

And unless Sash or Sanj have had their town / city overtaken by another race I don't think their opinions are worth much on this subject.

No chip, I understand it's easier

So why do people think it's racist for a white person or any person to move out of an area that is now dominated by cultures other than there own

As you said they move to feel more comfortable and be around people who are 'similiar'

Because it's someone's home town vs a foreign country, an entirely different proposition. The whole premise that people of different colors and cultures would make me want to move suburbs in my own home town is ridiculous.

Btw I didn't say it's automatically racist, sometimes is plain xenophobia or just ignorance.

Incidentally you're the only one mentioning colour here, I feel the same way regardless of what colour the person is. especially in a country like australia that's built on immigration.

So ...

They cluster for many reasons and not just comfort. The cluster didn't happen overnight and was not planned. Nature just took its course. Some cultures look for good schools so they move to an area with good schools. Obvioulsy thier family friends may have the same view so word of mouth gets their family friends to also move in the area cause of good school.

As I said, nothing was planned. Let's say a couple of indian families moved to suburb X; one of the families opened up a shop that sold indian food. Word gets around and more indians move into the area cause they can buy their groceries from there.

Very similar to a new residentiall complex going up. No one wants to live here until a wollies opens up across the road.

There are white people living in China and in one small city for example, it could grow in that a community of white people who speak english live in this area for many reasons. I admit comfort plays a role, possibly a few shops where they speak english as well and sell their good old brands of products back at home.

Let's be honest, if its comfort, what is the big deal. Who doesn't want comfort. If you're an aussie mid class type of guy,would you live in Lakemba where its full of middle eastern families; of cause you won't because you're not comfortable there and there is nothing there for you. You go where there is something to offer.

You might move into a suburb where there is more of your kind because they undertsnad you and your culture. It's as simple as that.

Back