"White Flight" - Could this trend happen in Australia?

And apparently, the Italians in particular love the UK arrivals who now reside in their country?! Why? Apparently the UK arrivals attempt to learn the local language, integrate more with society; respect the sometimes millenia-old buildings and architecture (some UK'ers were reported to even approach local Italian councils to get on the 'restoration and protection' boards and so on!?), and live quietly, peacefully, and integrate with the local community. D

Cameron, we were in Italy recently and, yes, the Milanese really like English people-because they are polite and honest.
But I wonder whether the English people are so well liked because they are middle class. Those who migrate these days do so because it's a lifestyle choice. They are not in a position of being forced from their homes, struggling to stay alive in a war torn country. Perhaps if these were the types of people leaving England they wouldn't be so highly regarded. Perhaps if we had wealthy (relatively) Bangladeshi, Middle Eastern, etc we wouldn't have a problem with them. Just a thought.

How dare you use me as part of a straw man argument to feed your persecution complex I have nowhere said or implied anything to do with you or anybody else being or not being an Australian citizen and I have in no way said anything which implies that it has even crossed my mind that I have a problem with your or anybody else's name or skin colour which you continually mention as though it is some kind of crutch you can lean on to protect you from scrutiny and to allow you to avoid addressing the argument and instead portray yourself as a victim because someone who you assume is "white" dares to question a person with the racial characteristics you constantly proclaim you have.

Rubbish don't try and backtrack from your comment because you now sound like a redneck. "LLet's just forget about that and return to the lecture from the person from singapore" - u still claim it had nothing to do with where I was from?

I have no victim mentality whatsoever. I love a great life and experience such a miniscule amount of xenophobia that it's completely irrelevant in my life. This isn't about me, it's about the issue at large and if you look at the previous posts I am happy to have a discussion and for my posts tl stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

Pls point out where I constantly state what racial characteristics I have out of context, because apart from this thread I have hardly ever mentioned it in the 4.5 years I've been on this forum. I also believe my posts have been entirely relevant to the discussion in this thread. People might not have agreed with it but they've at least been relevant.

You on the other hand appear to not have had your tablets this morning so I'd suggest a cup of tea and a lie Down

It seems you just want a fight and were disappointed I agreed with you re singapore, once again that cup of tea and lie down may help

Had a thought about a new "white flight" (or any other colour flight reason), and it may be poo-hooed, but it is becoming a real reason for folks -

The latest news of the two young guys arrested yesterday by the ATF/Feds or whoeve;r after a tip-off that they were planning a terrorist attack in the very near future..possibly that day.

They had a machete, a hunting knife, a home-made ISIL flag and a video allegedly with rants about an attack.

Now; the scary thing is these young blokes didn't look all that different to the normal young blokes you see around your neighborhood - they didn't have the massive beards and tight fitting skull-caps etc that seem to be the look of choice by yer ISIS death cult nutjob.

But here's the thing; the demographic of these terrorists is often much the same; yer 18-30 year old middle-eastern appearance male. I'm sure 99 out of 100 are harmless, but it only takes one.

I can see a trend emerging where folks (of all races and colours) will see this demographic in the neighborhood and begin to worry for theirs and their family's safety, and will become paranoid (if not already) and start to move away.

I've said it before and will say it again now; the day will come in Aus when one or more of these crazies will grab some random person at a shopping mall and cut their head off in front of hundreds of folks.

If I was in an area with a decent representation of this demographic and appearance male around the neighborhood, I would be extremely nervous now.

Sad, but this is how people think.

Is it a justified mindset given so many Muslims in the world are normal folks going about their lives?

Probably not, but I wouldn't be taking the risk anymore; given how "under the radar" these two idiots have been.

Had a thought about a new "white flight" (or any other colour flight reason), and it may be poo-hooed, but it is becoming a real reason for folks -

The latest news of the two young guys arrested yesterday by the ATF/Feds or whoeve;r after a tip-off that they were planning a terrorist attack in the very near future..possibly that day.

They had a machete, a hunting knife, a home-made ISIL flag and a video allegedly with rants about an attack.

Now; the scary thing is these young blokes didn't look all that different to the normal young blokes you see around your neighborhood - they didn't have the massive beards and tight fitting skull-caps etc that seem to be the look of choice by yer ISIS death cult nutjob.

But here's the thing; the demographic of these terrorists is often much the same; yer 18-30 year old middle-eastern appearance male. I'm sure 99 out of 100 are harmless, but it only takes one.

I can see a trend emerging where folks (of all races and colours) will see this demographic in the neighborhood and begin to worry for theirs and their family's safety, and will become paranoid (if not already) and start to move away.

I've said it before and will say it again now; the day will come in Aus when one or more of these crazies will grab some random person at a shopping mall and cut their head off in front of hundreds of folks.

If I was in an area with a decent representation of this demographic and appearance male around the neighborhood, I would be extremely nervous now.

Sad, but this is how people think.

Is it a justified mindset given so many Muslims in the world are normal folks going about their lives?

Probably not, but I wouldn't be taking the risk anymore; given how "under the radar" these two idiots have been.

Guys with knives, weapons, etc have been carrying them around since the 80s. It's just that the police have more focus on it now and the media is on top of it all. It?s the topic of the 21st century. The word terrorist in my view is overused and applies to anyone who plans to do anything dangerous to the public. What about that young female who got shot dead yesterday by police; if she was Muslim?we all start shouting terrorist. What if it was a bunch of non Muslims with baseball bats assaulting muslin; not considered terrorism. What if it was a bunch of muslims with a knife threatening a non muslim?.alarm bells go off, media hits it and now it?s classed as terrorism?

Religion and its wars have been going on since the ancient days. It?s just that society is now considered more civil and it all becomes a shock if no one has ever been exposed to it in this fragile generation we are in.

What I do agree on is that if these muslin extremist think it?s ok to kill innocent people because it?s their belief, and then go back to a country where it?s acceptable and where it?s the religion of the nation.

I?m really starting to get sick of watching the news; they dramatise everything. I prefer ABC over 7, 9 , and 10 but now they report on social media news like twitter and FB. It?s annoying and I don?t turn on the TV to hear about social media news.

By the way, the media/news shouldn't report this stuff to the public as often. It just gives new ideas for wannabe's.

you tell me - I don't even know what incident you are on about

of course it matters, I'd be putting that near the top of your analsysis. I would doubt he is pro IS if he isn't muslim, otherwise he is not only a nutjob but a suicidal one at that

Why does the religion matter? You said if someone be heads someone else it is terrorism, now you're saying it depends on what the person's religion is. Surely it should be the same rules for all?

Btw in this case the guy was not muslim, or at least I don't think so. WASP guy with no muslim name which normally happens if he's converted and there was no indication religion was involved.

So basically if 2 of the same crimes are committed, one by a Muslim and one by someone else then the first incident is terrorism and the 2nd is the act of a single nutjob, Ummm yeah nah

So is that a yes or no re terrorism? Or does it matter what the religion of the nutjob is?
Sadly, Sanj; it seems that the religion is the precursor to the behaviour and the act.

Why does the religion matter?
See above.

There is a trend, unfortunately.

They had an ISIS flag. The two guys may not have been Muslim; but the evidence is fairly strong apparently that they were acting under instructions from, or in association with; ISIS - who are a Muslim based crowd I believe.

I know it is hard for you to hear all this; but it is what it is.

The religion is very dominant in the behavior unfortunately.

Does that mean I couldn't live amongst Muslims? No; of course I could.

But, now that we have a growing trend with this demographic; I would not risk being within 20 miles of them... just in case.

So is that a yes or no re terrorism? Or does it matter what the religion of the nutjob is?
It is deemed a terrorist act that they were planning, and yes; the religion is the key to the behaviour. Sorry.

Guys with knives, weapons, etc have been carrying them around since the 80s.
This is different; bad dudes have been wandering around with weapons for eons; but their violence is usually directed at someone they know as part of a rival gang, someone they know personally, etc. Drug-fuelled rage is another wild card and is often random, but way less of a potential threat.. Most times with this scenario the person's demeanour and behavior are noticed by others in advance and they can be avoided to a degree..

But with this current lot; there is no discrimination other than anyone who is not of their ideology, or who lives a "western" life.

And they plan in advance their random assassinations with as much public exposure as possible. They attack with surprise as well with no warning beforehand to those around them.

I don't want it to be my wife and kids I hear about on the news who were cut to pieces outside KMart.

Last edited:
Sorry BayView I believe there's been a misunderstanding.

I'm not in any way disagreeing with you re the but people arrested with isis flags, of course we don't know all the facts but initial info does point to the fact that they were extremists who were muslim

I'm talking more about ausprops comment that a beheading is automatically terrorism but it appears it's only the case if Muslims are involved and I don't think that's right.

The act and motivation of something is what should determine if it's a terrorist act or not and not the religion of the person doing the act

I think that there's a propensity for the media to report anything where Muslims are involved- often in situations where it would not be reported if they were Anglos- thus heightening the paranoia many people have towards Muslims as a whole.

Anyway, back on topic...

the "whites" at the end of my street moved out and "non-whites" have moved in, so my street is even more ethnically diverse. I'm happy with that. :D My street was getting too "white".

I think that there's a propensity for the media to report anything where Muslims are involved- often in situations where it would not be reported if they were Anglos- thus heightening the paranoia many people have towards Muslims as a whole.
Yes there does seem to be an exaggerated threat of terrorism from the media and politicians. I would not put it in the top 100 risks to the average Australians safety, you are more likely to be struck by lightening (and therefore avoid living on hilltops, etc.. where does it stop).

I think that there's a propensity for the media to report anything where Muslims are involved
Only when it involves violence or the threat of it, from my experiences.

They reported the incident of a guy being randomly attacked and stabbed on the St.Kilda pier the day before yesterday.

He was probably drug crazed, but left the scene before anyone could identify him or his motives.

Violence is one of the news world's bread and butter topics.

Of course; if there are other elements to it such as a drug-crazed state, love triangle passion crime, or a bloke with an ISIS headband or whatever; they'll report all that too.

They are not "picking on" Muslims...there simply has been a rising representation of violence from the type of demographic I mentioned.

Not the media's fault they are doing it (although I'd argue that the media should never give a single second of air-time to any of these fruit-cake terrorists and anti-social/murderous behaviour they want us to air - it only helps to fuel the insanity).

I hope these two young guys get life in prison with no parole...put 'em in the Ayrian section. Good for a few laughs.

Last edited:
It originates from when Europe was considered "the centre of the world".

America and western Europe is to the west.

China was the "Far East".

To get there you pass through... the Middle East.

Sometimes Turkey (and surrounds) is referred to as the "near East".

South America, Africa, and Australia either weren't colonised or insignificant enough on the world trading routes to rate a mention. :)
Thanks for that, Perp.

My suspicion is; now that China is fast becoming the centre of the Universe; will Europe be the new "west". :)

The Middle east will be the "wild west." :eek:

Who will be the East? Gotta be the USA? :p

How about New York as the "far east"?

By some Anglo Saxons' definition anyone whose ancestors weren't English will never be considered to be "Aussies", no matter how many generations they may have been here for. Sad, but true!
Whilst immigration has been a great boost to the economy not all are in favour of it, nor should they have to be.
When suburbs in whatever State are populated by one specific nationality, the original occupants have a choice either to stay and get along with their new neighbours or move to a town/ suburb where they feel more comfortable. It is a choice they should be free to make.

Just a side note: We can't sidestep the fact that these Islamic extremists are a branch of the Muslim faith.

Back