White guilt and racism double-standards

That's good to hear, and was probably hard to do. Unfortunately a lot of your countrymen seem to be passionately embroiled in bygone battles. Given the history of the area it's understandable I guess, but it sure would be nice if the younger generation can start afresh and try not to pass down centuries old bitterness and feuding.

It doesn't help at all though when politically motivated twits fuel even more unrest.

Btw there is a large Greek community in Adelaide and very few Macedonians.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ages-macedonians/story-fn2sdwup-1225827612230

I think it's a shame that we live in a society that allows the media to sensationalise issues like this. A lot of the race problem seems, to me, to be about perception and lack of understanding.

I see on the news stories about 'racial hate', and yet pretty much all the people I actually know, regardless of background, seem more interested in having a peaceful and productive life.

The REAL problem is lack of education. Studying with people of different backgrounds seems to break down a lot of these barriers, and opens the mind to other possibilities.

That said, I'm of white anglo background, and don't feel particularly guilty about this. What disappoints me is when you see young idiots with southern cross tatts and Australian flags acting like complete bogans, especially when a lot of these people are younger (Gen Y), and frankly haven't contributed an awful lot yet. Of course, it's just as bad seeing Croatians and Serbians carrying on like idiots at the tennis (just as an example).

There's a measure of stupidity in all cultures. The question is how we educate ourselves out of this hole.

Especially on Christmas Island, where migrants are more preoccupied with race riots than contemplating the privilege of Australian citizenship.

But never mind, another $50mill should fix it.

Christmas Island is seriously overpacked at the moment. All of the 'rec' rooms have been converted into dormatories, they are just about busting at the seems at the moment. You will find that riots and such tend to happen when the conditions are overcrowded and not very nice to live in. This overcrouding goes in ebbs and flows, but is significantly worse since other (not so nice) detention centres have been shut down and are no longer in use - for the most part because of negative media involvement.

I see where you are coming from with everything WW, I am half in agreeance with you on some matters - BUT I believe your veiw is much too simplistic and a little far from reality (at least the reality I know, which is all I can judge by.)

I think it's a shame that we live in a society that allows the media to sensationalise issues like this. A lot of the race problem seems, to me, to be about perception and lack of understanding.

I see on the news stories about 'racial hate', and yet pretty much all the people I actually know, regardless of background, seem more interested in having a peaceful and productive life.

The REAL problem is lack of education. Studying with people of different backgrounds seems to break down a lot of these barriers, and opens the mind to other possibilities.

That said, I'm of white anglo background, and don't feel particularly guilty about this. What disappoints me is when you see young idiots with southern cross tatts and Australian flags acting like complete bogans, especially when a lot of these people are younger (Gen Y), and frankly haven't contributed an awful lot yet. Of course, it's just as bad seeing Croatians and Serbians carrying on like idiots at the tennis (just as an example).

There's a measure of stupidity in all cultures. The question is how we educate ourselves out of this hole.

Yeah the tennis stuff is bloody disappointing and viewed from OS, very misleading .
Damn shame because it's just a few small groups of no bodies on the day bringing their own garbage here, not even a handful in a city of 5 million or whatever it is. And for some stupid reason, choosing something like a tennis tournament to carry on .
When from an Australian point of view the nationalities BS involved , have nothing to do with us and isn't our way at all , which is usually the case lately yet it looks like it is Australia.
I grew up with Greek mates , italian , Chro' , serv . In Melbourne's West growing up it was normal to have a mix in your mates but there was none of this BS , they were just some of your mates.
We'd often talk about their old countries , what it was like , lifestyles or foods. For a coffee lover like me trying all their coffees was always fun, or dropping in and getting fed their breakfasts on your way to school .
Any disagreements were normally just a punch up through some typical everyday stuff , noone would even consider knives or guns but now school kids are packing them , damn shame .
There was none of this BS we're seeing now , until the influxes became much more concentrated, built up numbers turning into whole communities of one nationality or another , or two or three.

Damn shame , they have to do something, it's BS and not our way.

Cheers

I know we have our share of redneck mentalities and small minded types but.
I really reckon Governments have to quickly start being a bit more realistic and selective about who they actually let in, to hell with political correctness, the country and people come first.
Sounds like a cleansing I know but eh you've gotta be practical if nationalities wanna bring their BS here .
It's just asking for more of the same with violent natured or other nationality hate backgrounds that go back decades or centuries .
Stoopid ! If Governments just wanna spend a few minutes going over the stats and things in common with any of the crap going on here now , instead of just opening the floodgates and expecting them all to just turn around and get along , it wouldn't take much to pinpoint key troubles . No more than it does with Bikie gangs, a suburb or anything else .

I mean we don't buy a property in a bad neighborhood , it's not rocket science .

Cheers

LoL and I'm not quite sure what parts of that I'm laughing at the most

I think it's pretty sad that a Premier would stoop that low (did I mention we have an election coming up :p)

Most of the Greeks here couldn't give a toss anyway, if the small no. of protestors that turned up at our Parliment house when the name Macedonia was officially declared was any indication.

My mother's Greek and my father who's Macedonian, offered to drive her there :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
There are many new Australians from the Horn of Africa near where I work. They have inspired me to move to Sudan.

I know from some of the posts in this thread that I will be able to expect reciprocal treatment there that those immigrants originally from there have received on their arrival here in Oz:

Free courses by qualified teachers so I can read and write Northern Arabic dialect;

Lump sum payment to get me on my way as start up funds;

Free 1st world medical treatment (oh did I mention it was free?);

Law and Order and no civil wars to fight!

If I don't feel like working the government will at least give me a subsistence wage;

Tolerance from the locals should I insist on gibbering on in English and only dealing with English speakers, whites or ex-pats ;

Send excess money back to relatives in Oz by Western Union (money given to me by the government raised from taxes of working 5th generation Sudanese) -sweet!;

I will be able to set up my Christian/Jewish/ Bhuddist (Bhuddist? ask the Taliban how they feel about this generally harmless religion and its pesky statues) church without any interference from the locals.

Or would the awful truth be that my remains would be located after I went missing three days after arrival?

Australia is within the top 5 countries of this world to live in- the other four, like Australia are the result of a Judeo-Christian- white social influence.

I didn't have an Aussie flag on my car on Australia day and I consider myself fairly tolerent but I get sick of people whining about rascism in this country and linking the same to refugee/immigrant debates. I am sick of subsidizing living standards for various enclaves in this country who don't contribute either socially or economically. I pay enough tax already.

Yes I feel a limited amount of humanitarian immigration should be allowed- but never for people who pay $10kUS to people smugglers and don't follow proceedure to get in.

Some of the posts in this thread worry me immensely.

Winston- did you get any kudos for any posts you made in this thread?

Cu@thetop,
Well done, and very well said.
Kudos to both you and WW for your views on this very touchy subject.
I won't enter this debate, as I can't put my thoughts as eloquently as some of you. But let it be said that there would be in, Australia, the vast majority of people who share the views, feelings, concerns of WW an Cu@thetop.
For what it's worth, I fly the Australian flag at home every day. I fly the Australian flag from my car on Australia Day. I accept immigration, but not in it's current form. I do NOT class myself as a redneck, I do NOT find the Australian flag is in any way an Australian Swastika, as one poster likened it. I am not ashamed of my views, and LOVE my country dearly.
Amy

thx Cu, and agree with the thoughts behind your post above.....yes there's been a lot of kudos, but I don't understand the whole kudos thing. I think I lose just as much as I gain because Sim the Admin tells me I have had 'numerous' infractions for insulting others.

Anyway, let me clarify my POV again. I in no way want to say stuff that is first and last, mindlessly provocative.

I am keen to see Australia grow into an economically and emotionally mature and independent nation with good international relations and defence capabilities....with a mixture of races living here.

What I do feel strongly about though, is that all races living here reach a peaceful consensus, by understanding, acknowledging, and respecting that our Anglo roots are responsible for the system of governance and law and commerce, that has made Australia so attractive to migrants.

Let's keep in mind that much of the race based trouble in Australia is between migrants from different cultures. This is understandable. Migrants target Australia because they want all the advantages of an anglo rooted legal and law system, and the wealth and superior lifestyle delivered by that. They don't migrate here to be surrounded by cultures and prejudices of countries they chose not to migrate to.

And that's why I think the rate of migration and its mix, has to have a sensitive and forthright, transparent, and well comprehended mechanical governor applied.

I think it is important that we all mature the migration debate, rather then hide it under a blanket, and deny there's problems. That just ends in the ridiculous naive responses of Australian authorities to the poor Indian kids in Melbourne, who I really feel for.

We should all be able to say openly, in non provocative and terms, what we think is the best way forward.....without being shut down by low impulse control idiots who want to pigeon hole people as redneck racists or high minded noble humanitarians. The left side of politics are the biggest offenders in this respect.......but interestingly, they are the ones now beginning to tighten skilled migration criteria......., I should imagine they'll realize the muddle headedness of their perspective on asylum seekers before the election, and reverse things there too.

Otherwise we will need another 10 Christmas Islands.

There are many new Australians from the Horn of Africa near where I work. They have inspired me to move to Sudan.

I know from some of the posts in this thread that I will be able to expect reciprocal treatment there that those immigrants originally from there have received on their arrival here in Oz:

Free courses by qualified teachers so I can read and write Northern Arabic dialect;

Lump sum payment to get me on my way as start up funds;

Free 1st world medical treatment (oh did I mention it was free?);

Law and Order and no civil wars to fight!

If I don't feel like working the government will at least give me a subsistence wage;

Tolerance from the locals should I insist on gibbering on in English and only dealing with English speakers, whites or ex-pats ;

Send excess money back to relatives in Oz by Western Union (money given to me by the government raised from taxes of working 5th generation Sudanese) -sweet!;

I will be able to set up my Christian/Jewish/ Bhuddist (Bhuddist? ask the Taliban how they feel about this generally harmless religion and its pesky statues) church without any interference from the locals.

Or would the awful truth be that my remains would be located after I went missing three days after arrival?

Australia is within the top 5 countries of this world to live in- the other four, like Australia are the result of a Judeo-Christian- white social influence.

I didn't have an Aussie flag on my car on Australia day and I consider myself fairly tolerent but I get sick of people whining about rascism in this country and linking the same to refugee/immigrant debates. I am sick of subsidizing living standards for various enclaves in this country who don't contribute either socially or economically. I pay enough tax already.

Yes I feel a limited amount of humanitarian immigration should be allowed- but never for people who pay $10kUS to people smugglers and don't follow proceedure to get in.

Some of the posts in this thread worry me immensely.

Firstly NO-ONE claimed that Australia isn't a great country that has many benefit not in other countries.

Secondly, immigration has issues - no-one has claimed it is perfect. But are you aware that we get more illegal iimmigrants who have actually travelled here legally with various visa's, who just simply "overstay" rather then those who come in boats (who in turn are often coming from countries from which there is no way from them to immigrate to Australia through legal processes). Furthermore, the majority of immigrant did come here legally as immigrants or permnanent residents.

Thirdly I would rather pay tax and have ALL of the benefits this country has to offer - But regardless on whether you resent taxation or not, this really is an issue independant of racial discrimintation and has more to do with the governments effectiveness at putting our tax $ to work (which quite frankly I think they almost NEVER get it right, and if on occaision they do, it is almost accidental.

Forthly, I really think someone who claims "tolerance" is telling us a hell of alot more about themselves then they realise. To "tolerate" something, means that you must in the first instance find whatever you are "tolerating" abhorant, offensive or in some other way distasteful. When as person talks about "tolerating" racial differences, that (to me) says "I am a racist, who will endevour to pretend I am not".

But Hey, that's just my interpretation....

Good on you WW,

We should all be able to say openly, in non provocative and terms, what we think is the best way forward.....without being shut down by low impulse control idiots who want to pigeon hole people as redneck racists or high minded noble humanitarians. The left side of politics are the biggest offenders in this respect.......but interestingly, they are the ones now beginning to tighten skilled migration criteria......., I should imagine they'll realize the muddle headedness of their perspective on asylum seekers before the election, and reverse things there too.

You would think so but I won't be holding my breath.

Let's keep in mind that much of the race based trouble in Australia is between migrants from different cultures. This is understandable. Migrants target Australia because they want all the advantages of an anglo rooted legal and law system, and the wealth and superior lifestyle delivered by that. They don't migrate here to be surrounded by cultures and prejudices of countries they chose not to migrate to.

This is THE most frustrating thing I find about migration. They flock together but can't live together.

You then have the parents teaching their Australian born children the hatreds that led them to abandon their own war torn countries in the first place.

Regards JO

Regards JO

Firstly NO-ONE claimed that Australia isn't a great country that has many benefit not in other countries.

Secondly, immigration has issues - no-one has claimed it is perfect. But are you aware that we get more illegal iimmigrants who have actually travelled here legally with various visa's, who just simply "overstay" rather then those who come in boats (who in turn are often coming from countries from which there is no way from them to immigrate to Australia through legal processes). Furthermore, the majority of immigrant did come here legally as immigrants or permnanent residents.

Thirdly I would rather pay tax and have ALL of the benefits this country has to offer - But regardless on whether you resent taxation or not, this really is an issue independant of racial discrimintation and has more to do with the governments effectiveness at putting our tax $ to work (which quite frankly I think they almost NEVER get it right, and if on occaision they do, it is almost accidental.

Forthly, I really think someone who claims "tolerance" is telling us a hell of alot more about themselves then they realise. To "tolerate" something, means that you must in the first instance find whatever you are "tolerating" abhorant, offensive or in some other way distasteful. When as person talks about "tolerating" racial differences, that (to me) says "I am a racist, who will endevour to pretend I am not".

But Hey, that's just my interpretation....

Hi rugrat,

I understand what you are trying to say and yes "tolerance" is a negative adjective.

CTTT was referring to something that I personally experienced in Paris until I required enough basic french to ask for directions.

The French tolerate the tourists in Paris because they are a good source of income. I am sure if even half of the tourists learned to speak French perhaps the locals would be a little more tolerant of them.

I would not call the Parisians racist - just a little fed up.

Regards JO

Hi rugrat,

I understand what you are trying to say and yes "tolerance" is a negative adjective.

CTTT was referring to something that I personally experienced in Paris until I required enough basic french to ask for directions.

The French tolerate the tourists in Paris because they are a good source of income. I am sure if even half of the tourists learned to speak French perhaps the locals would be a little more tolerant of them.

I would not call the Parisians racist - just a little fed up.

Regards JO

I get that. But tolerating tourists (of any background) is a completely different kettle of fish to the issue of immigration and racism.

This is THE most frustrating thing I find about migration. They flock together but can't live together.

You then have the parents teaching their Australian born children the hatreds that led them to abandon their own war torn countries in the first place.

Regards JO

Regards JO

Who are "they"? Are you referring to the people like those in the Cronulla riots?

I am not sure what their parents taught them so can't comment but you seem to know.

Back