white knight tile paint

A while back I used this in a small bathroom (on the floor), did not prepare the surface properly, and only put one coat down. The result was a fairly poor looking surface where I could see streaks through the paint.
I decided to tile over the top of this, and classed the tile paint as a failure. I spent the past weekend totally abusing the tiled surface as I was painting the ceiling in that room. Everything from scraping 15 litre paint cans across the surface, stepping on loose screws and nails, metal based ladder used in the room, etc.
After all this abuse, not a solitary scratch or blemish on the tile paint, so I have decided to keep the tile paint, and just do another coat or two, and this time prepare the surface correctly.

interesting !

thanks for that - everyone says its great for the walls - now we know its also great on the floors from investor experience

Last week I tried tile painting whole of small bathroom, including walls and floor.

The results are magnificient. It turned an eyesore bathroom into one that is as good as new.

Only advice is that a good clean and undercoat is critical.

Whilst time will only show how well it lasts, it seems very tough.

This may be a realy stupid question, but can white knight be used on anything other than tiles?

I have vinyl splsh board [may not be the right word] in shower. There is a couple of drilled holes in this [ugly] and wondering if it can be paited over?

I want to replace it with tiles oneday; so if the paint can last for 2 years I will be happy.

Thanks guys, I was going to post a thread to ask if anyone knew of a good tile paint to use and, bob's your Auntie, here it is already. Just one question, Ndavy, what type of undercoat do you use on it ? Do you just paint over the grout as well ?

Doh!!! That's 2 questions. Oh well, just bill me for the second one.

Jim

Jimmjamjars - Whitenight has its own range of undercoat specifically for their tile paint range. Yes, I did just paint straight over the grout and becuase it was white paint it still looks as if it has been grouted. Hence I did not use the grout pen.
Nimee - I think to use it on anything except tiles would be a gamble but that's not to say it wouldn't work.

White Knight Laminate Paint

Hi guys

Out of interest, the White Kinight product for painting laminate is also great. We turned a very sad dusty pink 11 yo kitchen into a trendy looking modern kitchen for well under $2.5K ($2K for new appliance and stainless steel benchtops and $200 worth of White Knight undercoat and 2 topcoats). If I do say so myself even my most doubtful critics were amazed at the change !

Took a years worth of wear so far with two minor chips on high impact areas that patched up easily with a dabbed on brush and were then invisible. Took a kicking from friend's poorly-supervised brat with evil little pointy sandals on and still came out unscathed.

Big fan (not of the kid, White Knight) !

TryHard

Hi X
Good point. I will have to find out where in my very disorganised image gallery I stuck the original "befores" and for that matter the "afters". We sold the place recently ... I will try to find them though 'cos the result was pretty astounding :p
Back as soon as I can work up the courage to open the cupboard :)
TryHard

Re: White Knight Laminate Paint

Originally posted by TryHard
Hi guys

Out of interest, the White Kinight product for painting laminate is also great. We turned a very sad dusty pink 11 yo kitchen into a trendy looking modern kitchen for well under $2.5K ($2K for new appliance and stainless steel benchtops and $200 worth of White Knight undercoat and 2 topcoats). If I do say so myself even my most doubtful critics were amazed at the change !

I've just done a reno and the gross mission brown veneer Kitchen cupboards came up a treat. The rest of the kitchen looks pretty good, but the fact remains that it still has 70s style orange benches (and no, I'm not going to relaminate them).

Just checking that you painted the laminate bench tops as well - and if so, did you use a roller or a brush. I'm being a coward, basically!;)

Cheers

The kitchen

Hi IO

I actually had stainless steel benches made for it was it was a PPOR - they just fitted over the top of the old laminate.

I did find a thread on this forum where a posted said they painted their benchtops (which the product says you can't) so you could probably give it a go). There was something about adding a hardener to get the 2-pack effect to make it stronger.

Otherwise I guess you could spring for re-laminating the tops only, but that's probably overkill. If you spent say $100 on the White King plus hardener (if it can come with such a thing) I'm sure you'd get a year or two out of it, and if it was a disaster, put laminate over the top.

I think the trick would be to "etch" the surface with whatever preparation the manufacturer recommends, veyr carefully, to provide a "key" for it to stick to.

And maybe look for a white or light benchtop colour, which might hide any tenant scratches if they decide to prepare a meal on the surface :p - and contrast with the cupboards/rest of kitchen ?

Best of luck - sorry I couldn't find the thread about painting the laminate - if you do some searching you'll probably find it - there's soem more inspirational kitchen reno stuff here :

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4515&highlight=paint+laminate+benchtops

Best of luck
TryHard

Thanks a lot, TH. It actually doesn't look too bad - there are only 3 small sections of bench. But the colour sets it firmly in the 70s - which is a bit sad considering I got rid of all the brown and orange swirly carpet! Oh dear, never mind.:p

Cheers

Wow !!! How fabulous is that !!!!
I'm very impressed with the changes............

I think you have done a fabulous job. One of the most impressive I've seen here.

Was the benchtop expensive?.....did you have to have it done professionally or did you do it yourself?

Hi Savanna

Thanks for the feedback.

The stainless was the most expensive bit (about 80% of the reno cost), but as it was for a PPOR we spent a bit extra instead of laminate. The benchtops shown including pre-fab and professional installation were around $2,000. We've put 2 stainless kitchens in, the first a kind of walk through very heavy duty commercial grade with in built sinks, and the one shown, with holes cut to fit the existing sink etc back in. Both around the same budget.

Ooh BTW the handles on the cupboards were replaced with wound stainless handles from a young bloke in Annerley who makes them for marine application. About $200 for enough handles for a large kitchen. The idea has been nicked since we first found him about 10 years ago and similar handles appear in kitchen display centres at about 3 or 4 times the price I'm told...

We're about to do another in a commercial grade (the last was a domestic grade and we found it scratched much more visibly) at about $2.5K for a fairly sizable L shaped kitchen with inbuilt sinks and a breakfast bar in stainless.

Some people don't like stainless due to the scratches that show in it, but after a year or so of use the whole lot is scratched and it looks "right" whereas we feel other surfaces which still may get scratched don't give the same effect.

But for a PPOR the biggest thing with stainless steel we found is the ease of cleaning - its is so bulletproof, and even a lazy slob like me will try to clean the kitchen bench every now and then just to see how shiny I can get it ;)

Best wishes
TryHard

Hi I.O.
Thank you ! Actually we sold that PPOR and have moved to a new kitchen project :( Photos to follow in a few months when the bank balance recovers :D
Cheers
TryHard

Amazed

I can't thank you enough for showing the pics.

My kitchen is exactly the same colour and shape and I was talking to my friend the other day about painting it in a gun metal blue and laying down a floating timber floor in my PPOR.

It's like I have a vision of what it will look like. I will be out buying paint next weekend.

One questions though. What did you use to put the paint on, brush or roller? Also any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.:)

Last edited:
Back