White Knight vs Plastikote

I am finally dragging my 70's bathroom kicking and screaming into this century.

I would like fors and againsts for White Knight and for Plastikote to paint my bathroom walls tiles. I plan just to paint white.

I have used White Knight on kitchen doors before but the 3 stage process was a nightmare and wondered if anyone had experience with Plastikote.

It is a small bathroom and the cheapest quote, which included professional spraying, was $8k and since this house is only a reno'er I don't plan to stay more than a year.

Appreciate all advice and any other suggestions.

I only plan to stay another 12 months.

$8k was to spray the bath and tiles, replace shower screen and tile the floor, providing I supplied the tiles. It is only a very small bathroom and was over my budget of $5k.

The cost of respraying the tiles and bath came in at $2.5k and I believe I can regrout and paint for under $500 for the tiles but will get them to do the bath at $510.

For 8k you could do a whole bathroom Reno if you ripped the tiles out yourself.

It's hard work but pretty fun once you get into the groove of it

I haven't used white night but plan to for ip

I was going to do it myself until I discovered the walls tiles are actually cemented on and the wall would have to come out and be replaced as those tiles are going nowhere.

Went to Bunnings and despite their utube video saying to use Plastikote, they don't actually sell it, go figure. They had a brochure for another product called Rust-Oleum Tile Transformation but of course they didn't have any. Will check when the new Bunnings opens on Monday.

We just completed 2 bathrooms with White Knight, one main and one ensuite. It was straightforward, cheap, and painless. It looks fantastic, just hope it sticks!!

Thanks Danel.

I have decided the go the White Knight route as the process has changed since I last used it.

The driver was that the old vanity was built in and too much hassle to remove, so bought some laminate paint and a will replace the top with a laminate benchtop. Our old Bunnings closes today and they were getting rid of them for $120, so all in all will get away with having a 1600 long vanity for about $400 once finished.

Question though, did you use the White Knight tile cleaner before painting or something else?

Hi, we cleaned the tiles thoroughly with a light sand before painting them. I wanted to rent the unit out quickly without too much fuss. The old bathrooms are transformed into contemporary ones.

Definitely definitely definitely use the spray cleaner first, and also definitely sand lightly! The primer plus two paint coats on top will wear much better over time if you do this.

Thanks Cameron, I grabbed the cleaner at the new Bunnings yesterday. I figured for $15 it was better safe than sorry.

Should I use a scourer with the spray or just a cloth?

cheers
Leane

Back