Who changes and pays for light globes?

Golly, I'd just change the globes for them...or am I missing something?

The cost of the globes would outweigh the trouble you could cause yourself getting a tenant offside....but then again, I also send my tenants & PM a lil XMas basket every year too....

Good karma to all :)

I agree with you mary&mat. These stingy Landlords have lost the plot over a silly globe - sheesh. Like, losers with a capital L huh !!

All of our tenants and PMs get lovely little special parcels every year as well. I start delivering in late November and am usually finished by the first week of January if I don't take a day off for Xmas.

I reckon all those nasty Landlords practicing bad karma with their tenants will eventually have something drop off. You and me Mary, we'll be the only ones who are happy and safe, merrily skipping from house to house changing light globes from dawn to dusk.

Oh what joyous fun we'll have bringing merriment and light into our Tenants lives. I can't wait, we can hold hands and skip down the path together if you'd like.

Originally Posted by handyandy View Post
I recon I had one tenant move out because finally the last bulb blew and there was no further lights available.

I kid you not we couldn't find one working bulb.

Cheers

I bet they saved all their burned out bulbs and took all your working ones.

Where would the blown ones have come from ?

If they were handyandy's original globes which blew, that would mena they did change them once, then save the burnt ones just in case ?

Or perhaps they carry burnt out globes from rental to rental

Originally Posted by handyandy View Post
I recon I had one tenant move out because finally the last bulb blew and there was no further lights available.

I kid you not we couldn't find one working bulb.

Cheers

Where would the blown ones have come from ?

If they were handyandy's original globes which blew, that would mena they did change them once, then save the burnt ones just in case ?

Or perhaps they carry burnt out globes from rental to rental

Yes.Nothing some tenants do surprises us.
They could have been the ones they replaced from handyandy, and saved until departure.If they are this petty, don't think they wouldn't do it.

I was just having a laugh at the absurdity of the whole discussion that's all, imagine lugging old burnt out globes around from one properoty to anothr carefully in your luggage.. if they were handy andy's orginals, they would have to have bought repalcements, then they took the globes with them when they left, to get their money's worth (the landlord already gets his through the over priced rent he charged).

No. Read my post. If you get over your superiority complex you might like to try also reading the rent guide and you'll see I wasn't "being rude" - I was passing on exactly what it said, the clauses it mentioned ARE NOT enforceable, this has nothing to do with my PM. This is as much time as I'm prepared to waste on this, so please find somebody else to troll.

What I am trying to have you understand, is the Dept of Fair Trading is NOT making the rules here. Don't take everything they write as TRUE.
SS is for helping others. If I came across as rude or superior, that was not my intention.
Seems many people on SS have had these very clauses upheld at tribunals.

Golly, I'd just change the globes for them...or am I missing something?

The cost of the globes would outweigh the trouble you could cause yourself getting a tenant offside....but then again, I also send my tenants & PM a lil XMas basket every year too....

Good karma to all :)

I'm having trouble recognising whether this is tongue in cheek or not? the first sentence makes it sound like you are serious?

How many property investors does it take to change a lightbulb.....

bye

Attachments

• HowManyIrishmen002.jpg
    HowManyIrishmen002.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 88
I agree with you mary&mat. These stingy Landlords have lost the plot over a silly globe - sheesh. Like, losers with a capital L huh !!

All of our tenants and PMs get lovely little special parcels every year as well. I start delivering in late November and am usually finished by the first week of January if I don't take a day off for Xmas.

I reckon all those nasty Landlords practicing bad karma with their tenants will eventually have something drop off. You and me Mary, we'll be the only ones who are happy and safe, merrily skipping from house to house changing light globes from dawn to dusk.

Oh what joyous fun we'll have bringing merriment and light into our Tenants lives. I can't wait, we can hold hands and skip down the path together if you'd like.

Just saying, sometimes the path of least resistence is the best.

Why dig your heels in & make something out of nothing (it's only a globe)?

PS Dazz, mocking someone for their different thoughts/opinions is not very nice. I thought this forum was about learning & sharing information not ridiculing others?

Last edited:
Just saying, sometimes the path of least resistence is the best.

Why dig your heels in & make something out of nothing (it's only a globe)?

True.Giving a tenant a lightbulb is no big deal.
We have a new short term tenant who has asked if we had an iron and mop.
We lent him ours, along with the ironing board, and bought him a mop at the dollar store.
We could have said no, but didn't want to. He is a nice guy, and if he wants to keep the floor clean..great.

He is always so appreciative.

But having a PM inform you, it is your responsibility...that is where I have the problem.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/rtr2006298/sch1.html
a version of the NSW Standard Form of Lease, directly from the Act which states that other terms and conditions,where agreed to in the lease that do not conflict with the Act, are acceptable and enforceable
In contrast to statements made by pms to landlords of NSW
It seems that PMs in NSW are full of MaleBovineExcrement,
The Act in NSW does specify what repairs the landlord is responsible for, the list is limited, very limited,
continued espousal of MaleBovineExcrement by the generally substandard population of PM

[rant]
There is a single Act of Parliament that governs the Residential 'trade',
yet ongoing questions here from many who have not examined that single piece of legislation (for each state, province, terrirtory), querying the inconsistency of those they employ to act in the Landlord's interest, yet still not reading and understanding the legislation that governs the 'trade'. Despite the legislation stating the Landlord is responsible for the actions of their agents where and howsoever those actions occur . . INSERT BIG RED FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS BELLS SIRENS . .
1 book to read
long list of perjorative terms relating to the stupidity of not being familiar with the legislation
landlord could conceivably avoid any familiarity at all, if the pm were doing its job, (never going to happen)
[/rant]

I expect the normal response of abuse, from those who feel personally attacked IF they recognize themselves in the above Rant.
no personal attack is intended, just drawing attention to a logic error
PHP:
if(!$pm="doing.job") { require('newpm'); }

I think in NSW it depends on the lease. I have one property where the tenants never said anything about light bulbs, and when I moved in myself I was wondering why it was so dark in there. It took me a while to realise that 75% of the light bulbs had blown.
They cost about $1 each, and it took me 5 minutes to replace the whole lot. You have to wonder why a couple would live in semi-darkness for months for the sake of spending $10 and 5 minutes of their time?? :eek:

You have to wonder why a couple would live in semi-darkness for months for the sake of spending $10 and 5 minutes of their time?? :eek:

Me! :eek: I bought a place 18 months ago and my downlights have started to blow, I think about four are out. The thought of going to Bunnings, working out which ones I need then working out how to put them in... it's sitting in my bimbo too hard basket. :eek:

I think in NSW it depends on the lease. I have one property where the tenants never said anything about light bulbs, and when I moved in myself I was wondering why it was so dark in there. It took me a while to realise that 75% of the light bulbs had blown.
They cost about $1 each, and it took me 5 minutes to replace the whole lot. You have to wonder why a couple would live in semi-darkness for months for the sake of spending $10 and 5 minutes of their time?? :eek:

Or..... They may use standard lamps, uplighters and table lamps. We don't use ceiling lights very often but prefer the task and ambient lighting provided by moveable lamps. Personally, I hate the light provided by a single light in the centre of a room. I find it very depressing and gloomy.

But.... They still should have replaced the ones that were blown.

True.Giving a tenant a lightbulb is no big deal.
We have a new short term tenant who has asked if we had an iron and mop.
We lent him ours, along with the ironing board, and bought him a mop at the dollar store.
We could have said no, but didn't want to. He is a nice guy, and if he wants to keep the floor clean..great.

He is always so appreciative.

But having a PM inform you, it is your responsibility...that is where I have the problem.

Good attitude.....i think there needs to be a balance between being seen as a quasi slave for the tenant and doing everything at the drop of a hat and being tight over a $3 light globe.

Having said all that.....with some tenants one has to wonder what would happen if shock horror :eek: some of these tight fisted tenants bought their own house and were faced with the same situation! They'd go into meltdown i reckon!

Good attitude.....i think there needs to be a balance between being seen as a quasi slave for the tenant and doing everything at the drop of a hat and being tight over a $3 light globe.

Having said all that.....with some tenants one has to wonder what would happen if shock horror :eek: some of these tight fisted tenants bought their own house and were faced with the same situation! They'd go into meltdown i reckon!

Same tenant that asked for mop and iron, asked for a nonstick frypan/wok.
We had one that a previous tenant left.Took it over to him. He is still happy..and it didn't cost us anything (we were going to the property to sign a new tenant in anyways)

Oh god, my tenant wants us to replace three lightglobes. Sigh. And in SA we have to do this as part of our maintenance obligations. I can see why tribunals go bad for the landlord - the 'sing song' patronising voice of the SA Authority is enough to tell me that all Landlords are considered evil!

i went and checked out one of my places yesterday. seems i will have to attend site for each final inspection from now on....missing globes, damaged ceiling (?!), chips in walls, damaged basin, scratched corian benchop,cobwebs by front door - yet report says all fine and dandy. this really is a mugs game.

Back