Who changes and pays for light globes?

From Mark HAYS site (WA)

;) Clicky

Tenant Information Guide

As a tenant, it is necessary to understand your obligations in relation to a rental property. A breach of the tenancy agreement or losing bond money can be avoided if you fulfill the correct expectations.

As a tenant you should:

Highlight by Me

• Always pay rent on time and rent should stay in advance
  • Ensure that the property is used for residential purposes only
  • Keep the property up to a reasonable standard of cleanliness
  • Inform the landlord of any damage as soon as possible
  • Pay for the repair of any deliberate or careless damage
  • Comply with all conditions of the Residential Tenancy Agreement
  • At the end of the tenancy agreement remove all your belongings leaving the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness; return the keys and any like devices, and leave the chattels provided by the landlord
  • Never sub-let without the landlord's permission
  • Provide access to the Owner for inspections (S46 of the Act)
  • Refrain from making any alterations or additions to the premises
  • Replace all light globes
  • Maintain gardens, lawns and shrubs, water and fertilize regularly
  • Notify Western Power and Alinta Gas of your occupation and agree to pay all charges for electricity and gas
  • Clean carpets upon vacating the property
  • Never cause interference with the neighbours' peace and comfort
  • Maintain in good working order all water apparatus, including taps and reticulation fittings, swimming pool equipment, extraction fans, electrical fuses and test the Residual Current Device on a regular basis.
  • Agree to keep all floors, floor coverings, walls, ceilings, windows, window treatments, doors, light fittings, fixtures and fittings and all household effects in the same condition as they were at the commencement of the lease.

Hi belleran

This is from the Victorian Department of Human Services / Office of Housing website (my underlining):

http://www.housing.vic.gov.au/living-in-housing/maintenance-and-improvements/report-maintenance

Report maintenance
If something is damaged or broken in your home, you can call the Housing Call Centre on 13 11 72 to get it fixed.
You can also make a non-urgent maintenance request online.
When you are explaining what is broken, try to give us as much detail as you can. The more we know about the problem, the easier it will be for us to fix it quickly.
The time it will take to complete your repairs will depend on the type of repairs that are required.
There are some things you are responsible for, like replacing light bulbs, but if there is a reason you cannot do these things, you can contact the Housing Call Centre.
Looking after your garden and general house cleaning are also things you must do yourself.

Hope this helps
Kristine

A recent property report from our PM mentioned that there were about three light globes that needed replacing. I was under the impression that the tenants were supposed to do this. Who's responsibility is it to pay and change them?

If the tenant is a pathetic, impractical victim of the universe - the bulb stays broken.

If they have half a brain, have a clear vision of the future which doesn't involve them in being a tenant forever and who will get ahead in life - the tenant will.

If they are normal globes, this is a bit petty I think, however, a friend of ours has globes worth in excess of $10 each, so this would be something id expect the landlord to supply, if its the type/style of light fixture they want in their IP.

Cheers

Mick

If they are normal globes, this is a bit petty I think, however, a friend of ours has globes worth in excess of $10 each, so this would be something id expect the landlord to supply, if its the type/style of light fixture they want in their IP.

With the only type of bulbs available to purchase into the future being the more expensive type, I think these would now fall into "regular" category. When these bulbs first were available they did cost over $10 but can now be bought for a few dollars each, so I think they are now "normal" light bulbs.

We have never had a tenant who has asked us to replace bulbs during a tenancy. We have had tenants leave empty sockets a few times. It is not something I worry about, but if I had to pay $10 per bulb, I would be taking it from the bond if they left several sockets empty.

The only time I would not ask it of them is for a couple of "specialty" bulbs in one property. If they left and those bulbs were not working, we would just buy new ones (three in total in one house). If they broke during the tenancy, and asked us to pay for a replacement, I would see what sort of mood I was in, but to be honest, I just don't think our tenants would ask us.

If the tenant is a pathetic, impractical victim of the universe - the bulb stays broken.

If they have half a brain, have a clear vision of the future which doesn't involve them in being a tenant forever and who will get ahead in life - the tenant will.
Can't help agreeing with you, here. Even on the few occasions when I've been a tenant, it wouldn't have occurred to me to call the PM about a broken light bulb - specialty lightbulb or not. :rolleyes:

Have never been requested to change a lightbulb.

Just thinking out aloud here, but what would happen if tenant slips and falls whilst changing a lightbulb. Is anyone liable?

Regards
Marty

Who would bother? It's not worth the phone call or time taken to make it. If anyone did ask, just make them wait and they'll probably end up doing it themselves anyway.

go personally to change the bulbs and while there insist on checking every other light while there, landlord in the house annoys tenants really fast :)

what would happen if tenant slips and falls whilst changing a lightbulb. Is anyone liable?

.....aahhh, the grandaddy of 'em all - fear of litigation, better than the fear of God.

Right then, now you put it like that, I'm definitely going to be changing all of those bulbs.

This subject of changing light bulbs would surely have to qualify as being truly pathetic. I agree with your comments Marc - victims of the Universe. 30 posts over who changes a light bulb. Wasn't there a joke about this subject ??

Sunfish's idea of sitting back and collecting the fully franked dividends looks OK from this angle.

I had a tenant who insisted I change the light globes. I told her it was her responsibility.

Next phone call was from the PM telling me there was an electrical fault and tenant wanted an electrician to be called. Claim was that tenant had tried to replace the globe but it didn't work, she claimed there was something wrong with the socket.

In the meantime the tenant gave notice and moved out, so I went to investigate, tenant claimed she had bought replacement globe and left it on the bench, which she had.

Problem...Tenant had bought screw in and the light socket was bayonet. :D

Daz what was that about following Sunfish way of investing......

Chris

Daz what was that about following Sunfish way of investing......

Hi Chris, I thought I just wrote it above ?? Here it is again...

sitting back and collecting the fully franked dividends looks OK from this angle.

PM telling me there was an electrical fault and tenant wanted an electrician to be called

Fantastic - this always intrigues me. Tenants states "there is an electrical fault" and then directly after requests an electrician at someone else's expense to check whether or not "there is an electrical fault"...cracks me up.

Tenant had bought screw in and the light socket was bayonet. :D

Nice one. As Marc said - victims of the Universe.

Fantastic - this always intrigues me. Tenants states "there is an electrical fault" and then directly after requests an electrician at someone else's expense to check whether or not "there is an electrical fault"...cracks me up.
QUOTE]

Really easy - you want an electrician - Fine - if its not my problem you pay.

Works a treat. after they get the first bill, no more calls.

What happens if you have lighting fixture and was broken when the tenant tried to change the bulb. Will you be asking the tenant to pay for the damage if you told them its their responsibility to change it. Cause some of them can be hard to work out.

Just asking as I personally haven't touched any lighting fixture to change bulbs in case i damage it. good thing none have blew on me yet!

I second this. For most items needing a tradie I tell them that if it is tenants fault, (or no problem at all, just a stupid tenant) the tenant pays for it.

We have never had any issues, but with our places now having spit systems, we do put a clause in saying that if a call out is needed and the fault is simply that the filters have not been cleaned (as specified in the lease) then it is their cost.

Dazz mentioned the number of posts on this "problem" as if this somehow indicates the level of problem that light globes cause. I have never had any issues with light globes, except when a tenant leaves (happened in January) and no bulbs in two fittings (nine bulbs required in total). It still only cost me probably $1 per bulb (Ikea bulk globes) so it is hardly a biggie.

It seems that it is not really a problem for most landlords, with tenant and/or landlord angst level very low in this regard.

What happens if you have lighting fixture and was broken when the tenant tried to change the bulb. Will you be asking the tenant to pay for the damage if you told them its their responsibility to change it. Cause some of them can be hard to work out.

Just asking as I personally haven't touched any lighting fixture to change bulbs in case i damage it. good thing none have blew on me yet!

You're joking, right?

Seriously. You've never changed a lightbulb? It really isn't rocket science. Even my 2yr old DS has figured out how to remove and replace the bulb in my bedside lamps.

You're joking, right?

Seriously. You've never changed a lightbulb? It really isn't rocket science. Even my 2yr old DS has figured out how to remove and replace the bulb in my bedside lamps.

I agree, it's not rocket science, however this reminds me of the first tenant we had in the IP at the back of our PPOR. This guy was so heavy handed and useless. We only kept him for six months, because he would break everything he touched.

Anyway.......he tried to change a bulb. He broke the whole fitting. Just pushed it into the gyprock somehow. It wasn't a biggie, cause Hubby is an electrician by trade, so he just fixed the damn thing AND, if I recall rightly, checked to see if any others needed doing while he was there. I had totally forgotten about this.

You're joking, right?

read it carefully, not that i haven't changed a light blub. for instance my lamp it's easy to do. but with light fitting, i dont know how to take them off to get to the light blub. there may be screws to undo or what not. hence if i'm on a chair holding the light cover it may slip out of my hand and break into pieces. or use too much force and it just crack cause its so old.

Back